We could be competing for promotion....

lets not forget we knew about fryatt too and missed out on a another quality player, antonio joined a club that has ambition, you can't blame the lad, we are happy for players to come and save our season but won't pay up for them to come and move our club forward long term.

we have NO ambition from the top, end of story.

But their investment hasn't been in frontline first team players

Its been largely behind the scenes - and much of that credit goes to Mark Warburton - who is now (latterly) their manager

They are riding the peak of a wave - be interesting to see how they deal with it when hit the trough

Again I agree, and they were able to re-invest the Forshaw money in the squad. They play to their strengths, as do we, it's just that we don't have decent attacking options. Had we added McGugan, or similar, and a decent striker, to the squad after half a dozen games, I think we could have been where Brentford are. I suppose it's the problem when you are relying on loans, you are at the mercy of the parent clubs as to when they will release them.

I'd say we have ambition - but we don't have the money others have

its easy to play the "no ambition" game when it's somebody elses £multi millions that need to be spent

Milan bought for next to nothing and has mostly sat on his investment with very little exception. Milan wanted to flip his investment but got more than what he bargained for. It's just wrong. Milan appears to believe that we're worth £40M. He's living in cloud cuckoo land.

I'd say we have ambition - but we don't have the money others have

its easy to play the "no ambition" game when it's somebody elses £multi millions that need to be spent

how can you say we have ambition, what can honestly give you that impression?

milan is a business man that has bought and sold clubs through out his life, he knows the craic when it comes to football spending, its how he makes his money in the game, personally think he's bitten off more than he can chew here though 1 way or another.

What we do before the window closes this week will determine whether or not I give this season up as a bad job. Already, Im struggling trying to work up an appetite for home games and, rather like old Milan, I'm not sure how much I have left in the enthusiasm tank

Said it a few weeks ago we need a protest to get him out.

Protest he will prob drop price meaning more buyers.

At the mo he prob thinks everyone loves him still and that don't just include the 30% happy clappers

Guest Distraught!

Said it a few weeks ago we need a protest to get him out.

Protest he will prob drop price meaning more buyers.

At the mo he prob thinks everyone loves him still and that don't just include the 30% happy clappers

Yep, that's smart!  :blink:

Protesting to force the chairman out is really going to be a big draw for potential buyers!!!

I can't really think of many things that would be more off putting to any actual buyer.

Yep, that's smart!  :blink:

Protesting to force the chairman out is really going to be a big draw for potential buyers!!!

I can't really think of many things that would be more off putting to any actual buyer.

Absolutely right.We do not do " SHOES OFF " protests down at S6.

We missed a chance whilst we were on a decent run at the start of the season.

Then was the time to bring in the extra quality we still crave and desperately need.

Instead of another survival battle, we could've been in with a shout, the feel good factor and the momentum was all lost because MM won't back Gray.

Gray deserved to be backed for his efforts last season and for the start to this one. But yet again we go forwards only to go two steps backwards it seems.

Last season Gray came in and revived the team spirit, got the players believing in him it seemed and until we guaranteed safety we were attacking teams, albeit reliant on loanees. This season Gray as improved the defensive side of the team, the keeper and the defence give us a solid platform but the goal threat we had, the feel good factor and the no fear attitude of the early part of Gray's reign of last season and at the start of this season as evaporated into the same dire way that Megson and DJ's reigns turned into after the good work they did initially. It's a continuous pattern it seems, of good runs and bad runs coinciding with loanees or a lack of depth. Whoever is in charge their good work will be undone because of the budget and squad they have to work with. I feel sorry for Gray because at the end of the day he's going to be the fall guy, despite not have the CV record of Megson and DJ it seemed as though Gray had earned the belief of the chairman, fans and players.

If Gray was axed, the new guy would face the same problems Gray is faced with. A small squad, low on quality, reliant on loanees and held back with a poor budget.

There's no guarantees in football, a better budget or a new owner with more money wouldn't guarantee success but it would give us a better chance and a more realistic chance of competeting at this level. It's sad but without taking risks and without money, we are going to continue to be a struggler at this level, reliant on loanees, going on good runs and bad runs, just to stay up and the manager ends up being the fall guy and the same sequence happens because whoever comes in as the same measly budget and equally lightweight unbalanced squad to work with.

Edited by MilansMissingMarbles

im relieved to see a bit of realism at last re mandaric. he doesn't have the best interests of the club at heart otherwise he would drop the asking price. I honestly don't know how anybody can say we have ambition with a straight face, just look at the state of the team, the ground, the catering, the shop, the commercial department, the shabby executive boxes the list goes on. it would be a struggle to find a club with less ambition.

I think most people are realistic, we aren't a Bournemouth, we can't go out and spend millions on a striker like Callum Wilson. Sadly, we are probably unable to match even Brentford's spending. How did that come about, a situation where we cannot compete with the likes of Bournemouth and Brentford?

No matter, then we need to find another way of competing. When Milan suggested we'd be bringing in quality free transfers to build the basis of a good squad, which we might supplement with a couple of long term loans, I thought, yeah I can buy into this. The arrival of players like Westwood, Lees and Hutchinson, reaffirmed my belief that Milan was prepared to push on. Then it all stopped. When it came to the creative/attacking department, Gray was left high and dry. We did have the investment in Stevie May, a player of potential, but far from the ready made article, but we had to sacrifice our only attacking threat to do that.

A fine start to the season encouraged me to think that, maybe if Milan came good with those season long loans, then we could do it that way. Again nothing. We now find ourselves with a lop sided squad, where the quality of our defensive options is in stark contrast to the paucity of our attacking options.

The signing, albeit short term, of Lewis McGugan is a step in the right direction. However, with momentum now lost, it is probably too little and far too late. I think fans can accept that we should do our business in frees and loans, but we need to compete in that market a lot more decisively. Our dilatory dealings have seen us, not only lose out on many good players, but more importantly, the opportunity to reignite the enthusiasm of the fan base. A real lose lose situation.

Guest Distraught!

We should still be scoring with the players we have the only way forward now is to change managers

I'm not sure what but something in that post made me chuckle when I saw it.

lol

We should still be scoring with the players we have the only way forward now is to change managers

It is time for action BG but that's the wrong action. Changing managers will let Milan off the hook.

What's the point in changing managers when Milan will give the new manager less than fvvcck all to spend and one of the lowest player wage budgets in the division? Also, where would Gray's compo come from - the player wage budget?

Changing the manager may have a temporary positive effect on results but will also continue the now familiar cycle of underinvestment in the first team and inability to compete for promotion.

It's time to back Gray with a strong and competitive player budget. It may be a gamble but Mandaric is already gambling. Changing managers and underinvestment is probably more of a gamble that sticking with your manager and backing him with sufficient funds to compete for promotion.