Bannan on the left

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Seriously though...FF on the left works, sometimes it doesn't. 

He's had plenty of good games on the wing and some less so good ones. 

Likewise he's had some good games up top and some indifferent ones too. 

The whole point about having a squad is you rotate and use different options. 

Things don't have to be set in stone. 

Correct, they don't.

FF has started on the bench 3 times in 9 matches. It would not surprise me if his role and importance is lessened this season. In Reach we have a similar quality LW, and we do not know yet whether Fletcher will continue to partner Hooper more than he will partner FF. So unless Carlos tries FF on the right, he may play less, as he did for Watford in their promotion season.

8 minutes ago, aeroswfc said:

Prefer him In middle.

But he can do a Job as a left midfielder.

This sums it up.

His best position is central midfield, but sometimes for the sake of the team, it's better that he plays as a left sided midfielder. 

He gives us solidity and shape that we don't get when FF plays there. Especially when Hooper and Fletcher play up top together.

The point is, it does work. Strangely there are many people on here who repeatedly claim it doesn't.

Bannan is far better on the left. He effects play higher up the field and the team fares better with him there. In the middle he plays too deep and doesn't fulfil a role IMO.

When Reach is pushed up he'll be competing with him for that slot.

FF is a striker and our best player should play there every game with a licence to roam. 

Hooper comes off the bench he's not good enough to start.

Abdi needs to play in cm for me with Lee

6 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Change your username to Commissioner Dreyfus...go on.

Gonna need help with that one.

My knowledge of Dreyfus doesn't extend beyond J'accuse, imprisonment, and the fact that he starred in Close Encounters.

Edited by Holmowl

12 hours ago, Holmowl said:

You got about one goal per match with FF up front last season, and just under 2 goals per match with Hooper up front.

FF is a better player to watch, but the team (somehow) doesn't function as well compared to him playing deeper and wider.

But we didn't have a striker like Fletcher last season.  Forestieri will be much more effective in the number ten role when playing up front with a striker like Fletcher.

Bannan and Hooper are two good footballers. The issues we are talking about are exactly the same issues they have had throughout their career and why they struggled to make an impact in the premier league. 

Hooper needs 442 because he ain't athletic enough for anything else. I thought he did ok last night but a counter attacking game does not suit him

While Bannan is a great footballer he can struggle physically when playing deep in the middle.

Playing left and moving centrally to support the central midfielders when needed is a great compromise as it gets him on the ball further forward. The great thing about Bannan is that the other players completely trust him and give him the ball in tight situations with no problems 

1 hour ago, York_Owl said:

But we didn't have a striker like Fletcher last season.  Forestieri will be much more effective in the number ten role when playing up front with a striker like Fletcher.

Im hoping we don't ever have to see FF on the left again, unless in an absolute emergency. We've looked poor and struggled every time he's played there with Hooper/Fletcher up top. 

Much better options than FF for the left now.

FF behind Fletcher as first choice, Joao, Hooper and Nuhiu to be used when required.

18 hours ago, WayneTheOwl said:

So where do you play FF then? Having Hooper & Fletcher on the pitch together is a must for me.

Reach although expensive as a left back, should remain there ahead of Pudil. Personally I'd like to see Palmer & Buckley one side and Reach & FF on the other. Having a midfield quartet of Bannan/Lee/Abdi & Jones is quite possibly the best quartet in the league to choose 2 from!

Would swap Hooper for FF, no dramas...

30 minutes ago, slinger208b said:

Left midfield yes, but it's not 442.

Take last night, I think it might have been more like 433 with Bannan, Jones, Lee in middle and Buckley a supporting right forward with Fletch and Hooper or with Reach as a wing back role when needed on the left.

Nothing is as it seems...

Thats the system it should be away from home, it seems at last the penny's dropped