One concern about moving to a new ground...

Guest Grez Bez
2 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Lots of people conveniently 'forget' where the geography of our fan base is. It is far from being concentrated in 'Sheffield' or its centre.There are many fans, myself for one, who have never lived in Sheffield, yet still travel to the present location.Our nearest Motorway is NOT the M1, which doesn't even serve the centre of Sheffield, except by another road link.While still living close to the M1, I noticed the deterioration of the centre of Sheffield which was brought about by Meadowhell, which has taken a number of years and great cost to alter. I now live on the West side of Sheffield, and while Hillsborough in its present spot is still just about 'get atable', a move to the other side of Sheffield, nearer the M1, would make it almost inaccessible.

One point that needs to be made. How big a stadium do we need? The current stadium, were it all to be refurbished, would still approach the 45,000 capacity of most Premiership stadiums, and what is our 'regular maximum attraction' factor ?

Do these  factors point for a need to move? I still consider the sight of a 3/4 full Wembley at the playoff, and how often do we attract that sort of crowd?

I bet there are a lot more Owls in Donny or Rotherham or commutable via the M1than the West of Sheffield though so the argument works both ways.

RE: Size 40k would be great with an option to extend should we need to. NEVER go less but any more would be a bad move IMO

How much impact do we think the stigma of the disaster still has on the club? Certainly it's brought us under greater scrutiny, hence some of the draconian regulations regarding health and safety. I think the police would also object as a matter of course, to any alterations we wanted to make to the ground. Will it also have a negative effect when we try to market the club globally. Hillsborough will continue to be associated with the terrible events of that day, maybe not to us, but to many neutrals, that's what they think of, when they here the name Hillsborough

If I want to eat while I'm out I'll got to a café, If I want a drink I'll go to a pub/bar. If I need a football fix I'll go to the North stand 10,024 tip up seats that were filled to capacity that day we beat Manchester United 5-4. Was I hungry and thirsty that day ?.... I can't remember it didn't matter.

A lot said about concourse service but when examined the idea is quite poor, reproducing services in the ground for approximately 42 hours per annu m, services that already exist within close proximity to the ground that offer more choice and more competitive prices. Cater for the corporates by all means but to try and do so on a pedestrian concourse just doesn't work. 

I'm the most ardent 'Stayer' so what might persuade me to go....Maybe, just maybe giving Sheffield Club a leg up and pilling into their Olive Grove plan. However, the cost and problems would be major because I would still want a capacity based on meeting demand of that top of the league Manchester United clash. Hillsborough for me !

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

How much impact do we think the stigma of the disaster still has on the club? Certainly it's brought us under greater scrutiny, hence some of the draconian regulations regarding health and safety. I think the police would also object as a matter of course, to any alterations we wanted to make to the ground. Will it also have a negative effect when we try to market the club globally. Hillsborough will continue to be associated with the terrible events of that day, maybe not to us, but to many neutrals, that's what they think of, when they here the name Hillsborough

just do a google search for Hillsborough and there is nothing but the disaster.

47 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think that the police will have their hands full with the repercussions to object to any planning proposals they we might put forward...we aren't going to put forward plans that do not take H&S into account are we?

Guest Grez Bez
54 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

If I want to eat while I'm out I'll got to a café, If I want a drink I'll go to a pub/bar. If I need a football fix I'll go to the North stand 10,024 tip up seats that were filled to capacity that day we beat Manchester United 5-4. Was I hungry and thirsty that day ?.... I can't remember it didn't matter.

If you'd have said to a shoper 10 years ago that they would go into town for a days shopping as a full day out (lunch, coffee etc..) then they'd ave laughed at you.

People are looking for a full day out now whether that is football, shopping or whatever.

The younger generation are used to this and come to expect it. If you have restaurants & pubs it gives you the option. If you wnat to go and watch footy and nothing else then great, but the option is open to those who do...

Edited by Grez Bez

3 hours ago, LSOwls said:

If you'd have said to a shoper 10 years ago that they would go into town for a days shopping as a full day out (lunch, coffee etc..) then they'd ave laughed at you.

People are looking for a full day out now whether that is football, shopping or whatever.

The younger generation are used to this and come to expect it. If you have restaurants & pubs it gives you the option. If you wnat to go and watch footy and nothing else then great, but the option is open to those who do...

Do the non corporate fans who visit old Trafford or anfield really go for a full day out.  Imo I don't think they do.  

5 hours ago, LSOwls said:

I bet there are a lot more Owls in Donny or Rotherham or commutable via the M1than the West of Sheffield though so the argument works both ways.

RE: Size 40k would be great with an option to extend should we need to. NEVER go less but any more would be a bad move IMO

Agreed My drive to Hillsborough consist of around 90 minutes to get off the M1(Meadowhall) followed by another 30 to 40 minutes crawling through traffic to the ground

5 minutes ago, darra said:

Agreed My drive to Hillsborough consist of around 90 minutes to get off the M1(Meadowhall) followed by another 30 to 40 minutes crawling through traffic to the ground

If it took me 90 minutes to get off the motorway, I'd use another junction.  Can I suggest 33, 35 or 36.

18 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

If it took me 90 minutes to get off the motorway, I'd use another junction.  Can I suggest 33, 35 or 36.

sorry meant it takes me around 90 minutes to get to Meadowhall

Guest Deleted member
On 29/09/2016 at 14:42, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

I'm the most ardent 'Stayer' so what might persuade me to go....Maybe, just maybe giving Sheffield Club a leg up and pilling into their Olive Grove plan. However, the cost and problems would be major because I would still want a capacity based on meeting demand of that top of the league Manchester United clash. Hillsborough for me !

Isnt the Olive grove plan a move to near Olive Grove - I thought Sheffield Works dept were on the site of the football stadium?

22 hours ago, darra said:

You would be better coming off at J35 and up through Greno