Abdi

21 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Playing in his proper position when he came on he looked clam and assured. Never wasted the ball. 

Never passed forward either despite us chasing the game. Passed 2 yards to Lee at one point then pointed to the pass he should have been hitting. 

4 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Watched him closely today, doesn't seem confident (hope he IS bothered).

It's no good playing in 10yd triangles, especially when no one is in the middle from the opposition.

Moved a bit better off the ball than I've given him credit for but I wish he could change pace, and show a bit of aggression when we didn't have the ball.

My be more valuable when we are winning, than losing.

(thought their 11- Osbourn closed down well !!)

100%

btw was that 'the predator' at r/b for them, i thought he was normally invisible...

Just now, Philb125 said:

Never passed forward either despite us chasing the game. Passed 2 yards to Lee at one point then pointed to the pass he should have been hitting. 

do you refer to when he took a pass off lee, then immediately passed it back and pointed the pass lee should have made?

i thought that would have 'rubbed me the wrong way'...

potteresque in his direction finding...

vonkesque in his passing accuracy, found his man every time, and not one of them even a slightly 'telling ball'...

He's not ready for first team in my opinion and I don't like idea of him finding form at expense of others who give more at this point.

Play a development game if you need confidence.

If BB is injured then it's between Abdi and Jones but on current form he'd be nowhere near starting for me. 

Said I'd last week when he hit 42/42 passes, 100% completion rate for a number 8 or 10 shows a woeful lack of ambition rather than perfect passing ability. Playing defense splitting passes are not a sure thing and maybe 30% land but if you don't try you don't score. 

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Loads of times today Bannan took the wrong option, gave the ball away or ignored an obvious pass. Reach never saw the ball until Abdi came on.

Yet we seem to think it is better to give it away playing an impossible ball rather than keep it

I would wager a bet here that Bannan played at least one forward ball that had more combined forward yards than all Abdis put together. 

I dont doubt that Abdi has it in his locker, but at this moment he's not delivering either because he's scared, out of form or out of confidence. But until he has it back,  I'd rather Bannan - Abdi must win the shirt not gain it through reputation or high pass rates. 

How many chances does Bannan create vs Abdi? 

3 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Needs more urgency.

Consider how easy it is to defend against us when they are winning. Just stay in position, keep behind the ball.

On the contrary, you could see the tempo dropped when Abdi came on.    We ended up winning the game.

Just now, Philb125 said:

I would wager a bet here that Bannan played at least one forward ball that had more combined forward yards than all Abdis put together. 

I dont doubt that Abdi has it in his locker, but at this moment he's not delivering either because he's scared, out of form or out of confidence. But until he has it back,  I'd rather Bannan - Abdi must win the shirt not gain it through reputation or high pass rates. 

How many chances does Bannan create vs Abdi? 

Where have I said we should play Abdi instead of Bannan.

That is not even the position Abdi would be best in. 

However Bannan got a lot of things wrong today and Abdi did well when he came on. Why are people having a go at him

This" never passes it forward" is a complete myth. He is just a different type of player 

Really don't know what people expect of Abdi. He does exactly what the Watford fans said, he's not always a game changer but always keeps the ball moving in the right direction.

If that means he's out of form then I have no clue what the argument is.

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Where have I said we should play Abdi instead of Bannan.

That is not even the position Abdi would be best in. 

However Bannan got a lot of things wrong today and Abdi did well when he came on. Why are people having a go at him

This" never passes it forward" is a complete myth. He is just a different type of player 

I have faith that once he is fit/confident he will be as loved and valuable to us as FF and Lee, but at this moment in time he is slowing down the play to pass it where it would have landed without him taking a touch or right back where it came from. 

I love our possession football, I imagine he will prove to us he didn't get the nickname by passing sideways or backwards either! But right now, he's not at his best. 

This isn't a send him back thread, more so in my view a can (and will) do better.