Mixed feelings.

1 minute ago, dnhc said:

our character was good...

i did see us targeting fletcher but thought he lacked the correct support, hooper it seemed was always too far adrift from him to be supportive as he carries very little pace with him...

in the second with nuhiu on and fletcher slightly withdrawn they were still to far apart...

whoever is doing the main striker target job needs good quality support, players have to be of the belief that he will win the ball, or it will break to a 50/50 and get up there, he needs two off him when the ball is longer...

as i say hooper may not be suitable for that game, perhaps ff is, perhaps not...

for me you need someone with good pace supporting...

despite us spending good money, and bringing players in during the window, we're still using square pegs in round holes...

Good post, my main point was that long balls have been something that Carlos has used throughout his time here, at the right time against the correct opponent. 

What team and formation would you put out?

10 hours ago, PopePiusX said:

Agree with this. We can play more direct, on the counter or in a more patient manner. I think this versatility is why we are better second half - we can adapt to play in the most efficient manner. Also, we look ridiculously fit.

i would love to know why we don't start at the first whistle...

our first half displays are really lacking...

1 minute ago, Owls2k said:

Good post, my main point was that long balls have been something that Carlos has used throughout his time here, at the right time against the correct opponent. 

i'll be honest, i don't go for saying i'd pick this team, that team, or the other, but i'd like to see buckley get an outing, i won't go as extravagant as reach on the other just yet...

as for formation, it should and does differ depending upon the venue and opposition... 

i do believe we should have a m/f anchor likely for all away games, and the majority of home ones too...

i do believe we are crying out for someone to pick the ball up and strongly drive at the opposition through the middle, committing their midfielders and defenders to counter, whilst hopefully opening up opportunities for our front players to receive the ball in a more favourable position...

for me, carlos is a coach, and he needs to stick to coaching, i think we need a manager as the whole thing is likely too much for one man, and a second pair will be better...

if i were in that position i'd have to say 'we need to start at the kick off, we need to show greater intent in the first half, especially at home, and we need pacy support for fletcher, plus midfield support too as often as is possible, and we need to get strikes in on goal and follow it in'...

22 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

id like to see us at times when bringing it out from the back, get it to the full backs, who in turn get it down the flank quickly for the wide man to engage and beat his fullback, or turn the ball inside to m/f, with the midfielder under the instruction to play a first time ball into a channel for the strikeforce to run into, except...

i don't believe we have the vardy type enthusiastic runner to run the channels...

i seriously doubt hooper can get anywhere near to playing that, he's as short of pace as ryan lowe was in megson's side, and ff is perhaps too slightly built to run forceful open play runs (i've notice that one or two sides are getting quite physical with him, trying to bully him and put him off his game)... 

Chasing the game it is easy to change tack and go route 1. We aren't doing this which is pleasing and a reason for our late shows v Bristol city and Forest and why Lee has popped up in the box to finish off the moves he has done.  

We just need to start taking our chances in the first 85 mins or so now and stop giving teams a 1-0 start especially at home.

4 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

Chasing the game it is easy to change tack and go route 1. We aren't doing this which is pleasing and a reason for our late shows v Bristol city and Forest and why Lee has popped up in the box to finish off the moves he has done.  

We just need to start taking our chances in the first 85 mins or so now and stop giving teams a 1-0 start especially at home.

I think we had a mix of route one and keeping it on the deck toward the end as they wouldn't budge. The only thing we perhaps lacked was to go around the outside more often, it was getting very congested.

i agree we could do with "doing the job" within standard 90mins too 

I thought we played pretty well yesterday. 

Up until their goal we were much the better side and should have been at least a goal up. 

They had a couple of other chances of note (great save from Westwood just before our goal), but overall we were the better side. 

We must stop conceding the first goal though. 

Better teams will eventually punish us. 

I get the feeling CC is reluctant to play 2 wingers in the same 11. Even Wallace isn't an out and out winger when he plays, because he's on the wrong wing for that so has to cut inside (which has been successful in the past, not so much recently). I don't think we'll see Buckley and Reach playing together unless one is at full back OR we play 3-5-2. 

Havng said that it's not such a bad think, tucking a winger inside a little closes MF up a bit more. 

6 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I thought we played pretty well yesterday. 

Up until their goal we were much the better side and should have been at least a goal up. 

They had a couple of other chances of note (great save from Westwood just before our goal), but overall we were the better side. 

We must stop conceding the first goal though. 

Better teams will eventually punish us. 

We played ok, good in parts, but no one was outstanding (Lee Obvs an exception for his 2 goals although one was an OG)

We were much the better side in the first half, prior to Lansbury scoring. 

Should have scored at least once with the FF chance and I think Fletcher would have fancied his chances with that half volley which went straight at the keeper. 

7 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm not sure Forest deserved anything: we were by far the better team and it was only a once-in-a-season freak goal that gave them the lead against the run of play. If they were 'gifted' the lead, it was by the hand of fate rather than anything Wednesday did wrong on this occasion.

Fair enough, they defended well enough once they had the lead, but not well enough to stop us scoring two goals - and we could easily have had more given the chances we created.

It was far from a perfect performance, in fact it was incredibly frustrating at times, but I thought we looked a cut above Forest and we should have been very disappointed had we come away with anything less than three points.

We didn't deserve to be behind that's for sure, but I'm not sure we deserved to be ahead either. We were marginally the better side, but I don't remember us outplaying them/creating a lot. 2/3 decent chances in the first half, the best being spilled by their keeper when it was an simple save. Sometimes you win not playing that well, like yesterday. The problem I have is that we start playing when we go behind so it's not a one off. The way we're playing at home (and especially away) is a worry.

Even after we equalised, we didn't seem to have any urgency. The ball seemed to go back before it went forward and it was so slow. If we play like that against the better sides in the league (Brighton next week, for example) we'll get beat. 

We won and that's all that matters, but for me it wasn't good and to say it was is masking a poor performance. We are still a work in progress. I hope we start clicking soon because it's getting frustrating to watch.

9 hours ago, dnhc said:

yes to question one, and yes to question two...

you see i'm not a 'clapper' thus have to see something to cheer and clap over before clapping and cheering...

You neee to move your seat from behind a post then pal, because if you didn't think we played well in the first half you can't have the best of views!

Or you just one of those simpletons that think we are good when we are winning and rubbish when we are not.

Dont worry though you are not alone, there seems to be a fair few that don't really get it either 

Having watched the West Ham Southampton game yesterday, I was impressed by the way Suothampton used their full backs. In fact, over the weekend here, and in La Liga, it's been the same story, full backs used as attacking wide players. I can't help thinking Carlos is missing a trick with the way we set up. We persist with two wingers who can often be largely peripheral Much better to get three in the middle of the park, and push our full backs up. That would allow us to play Abdi, Bannan and Lee, in their best positions. We'd instantly be more secure, our creative players could get on the ball and I think we'd even score more goals.

carlos knows whats needed ,he has clubs watched ,he formulates a plan to win games .he knows which players he can trust and are suited to play to the plan .he 's not stupid enough to know that if its not working he'll change tack during a game.the players seem to have a great team spirit which they wouldnt have if he was a crap coach with crap tactics  .........why people carp on at the bloke and complain about how he sets up and then come up with some half arsed idea about diamonds ,quarterbacks and beasts in midfield is laughable .....we are doing ok ,we play good football and are good to watch. whats not to like ?

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

As usual, our mistake (Reach) led to their great goal and Lansbury was also beating us in the air.

Mancienne contract's up soon and signing him in January will sort that problem.

Plus a  nutter in midfield, a young Cattermole perhaps.

Or a CARLTON MK 2 , like he used to protect Shezza. 

1 hour ago, torres said:

You neee to move your seat from behind a post then pal, because if you didn't think we played well in the first half you can't have the best of views!

Or you just one of those simpletons that think we are good when we are winning and rubbish when we are not.

Dont worry though you are not alone, there seems to be a fair few that don't really get it either 

you're correct there is a lot of simpletons about...

if you shut your eyes you can still find them, there's a clapping noise coming from their direction...

the other version are the 'barca boys' who think slow methodical short pass build up play, and starting home games at a stroll is the way to the premier...

and my seat was bang on half way...

The football is, at least, entertaining. We are being royally entertained, with most games being close affairs that could go either way. As someone who's in no particular hurry to get to the Premier League, I can sit back and enjoy. There are people who have a different view though, and desperately want to get to the promised land. Some have even put a timescale on that happening (perhaps a little foolishly) so there will be those who might be getting a little concerned that we might not have what it takes to get there.

20 minutes ago, torryowl said:

carlos knows whats needed ,he has clubs watched ,he formulates a plan to win games .he knows which players he can trust and are suited to play to the plan .he 's not stupid enough to know that if its not working he'll change tack during a game.the players seem to have a great team spirit which they wouldnt have if he was a crap coach with crap tactics  .........why people carp on at the bloke and complain about how he sets up and then come up with some half arsed idea about diamonds ,quarterbacks and beasts in midfield is laughable .....we are doing ok ,we play good football and are good to watch. whats not to like ?

wow! i i didn't know he has clubs watched, i wonder if other clubs will catch on to that...

'he formulates a plan', i wouldn't think it takes much formulating, he's got just the one, druggery for 45 minutes and try and pick it up in the second half...

we need an anchor in m/f for a lot of games, likely all away games, there is no argument about it, otherwise it's an arse wide open policy...

but let me explain something about 'what's not to like'...

DC will have set a certain amount of money aside to get us into the premier...

we don't know how much, but like all money supplies it is exhaustible...

IF, and when it is exhausted, and IF we're not in the premier, what then?

so 'what's not to like' is, and will be the lack of promotion should it happen...