Hooper

Jowl

He missed a quality chance when ball was squared to him in front of Kop and he either tried to use his right foot and missed it by inches or let it roll for someone else. 

Hooper will always be rated on his goal-scoring for me. He isn't going to win lots of headers like Fletcher, he's not going to have bundles of pace or tricks. His job is to pop up and bag a goal from nowhere (like last week). 

Our play is so slow and allows our opponents defenders to get set in position. Hooper is a box player and we don't get enough quick balls into the box. Too many touches by certain players turning back to goal instead of into the space in front of them. I look forward to when we play with Reach further forward.

What concerns me is the players we have brought in have not really improved us apart from Fletcher.

11 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Our play is so slow and allows our opponents defenders to get set in position. Hooper is a box player and we don't get enough quick balls into the box. Too many touches by certain players turning back to goal instead of into the space in front of them. I look forward to when we play with Reach further forward.

What concerns me is the players we have brought in have not really improved us apart from Fletcher.

Hooper is an excellent link man

Especially that little clipped ball out to Wallace / Hunt

2 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Decent today, read the game well going forward and put a shift in. Looked a threat, albeit a lurking/subdued one.

This. Thought he had a very good game, worked hard, dropped deep a lot more than Fletcher to try to receive the ball or help out the midfield, couple of decent chances that he should possibly have scored at least one from.

Hooper? Frustrating player. Links play well at times, good finisher and good awareness. The type of player he is he's not going to chase around and I get that. 

That said he still doesn't do enough in general play for me and this becomes an issue when he's not scoring. Last two home games with late winners he's not been on the pitch.

Two questions. Do we miss him? Would he make the best starting 11 when everyone is available? It's a no on both counts for me. We've had a good win today  and don't want to be appear negative towards Hooper. Good player but just feel he's holding back a bit. 

Quality to have on the bench for now.

8 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Hooper? Frustrating player. Links play well at times, good finisher and good awareness. The type of player he is he's not going to chase around and I get that. 

That said he still doesn't do enough in general play for me and this becomes an issue when he's not scoring. Last two home games with late winners he's not been on the pitch.

Two questions. Do we miss him? Would he make the best starting 11 when everyone is available? It's a no on both counts for me. We've had a good win today  and don't want to be appear negative towards Hooper. Good player but just feel he's holding back a bit. 

Great post. Agree 100%.

16 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

Your question...do we miss him?

If he doesn't play with Fletch it has to be FF. Joao not good enough.

FF has never been prolific as a striker, and last year scored 7 in 31 up front.

Hooper got 13 in 29.

Yes we would miss him

20 minutes ago, OasisOwl72 said:

links play well ,good finisher with good awareness ........jeez what more do you want from him .

I thought he was running in treacle in the second half. Nothing seemed to come off for him today and with him being a goalscorer, if he's not scoring goals or getting into dangerous positions then he doesn't offer a great deal more. Those who say he ran the channels must have got him mixed up with someone else. He never left the width of the 18 yard box if you get to watch the match again or the highlights you'll see. He only needs to look at Fletcher to see the workrate that's required.

2 hours ago, oldishowl said:

The problem with starting him, which I think was the right today, is that you know he ain't going to last 90 mins

I'm not sure that's a problem so much - but I take your point. He doesn't look anywhere near match fit today. Hi does a lot of link up play - but with his weight he looks like he lacks that burst of energy to get further forward and past a man today. We don't need more people dropping into midfield - we have plenty there

2 hours ago, Manila_Owl said:

He missed a quality chance when ball was squared to him in front of Kop and he either tried to use his right foot and missed it by inches or let it roll for someone else. 

Hooper will always be rated on his goal-scoring for me. He isn't going to win lots of headers like Fletcher, he's not going to have bundles of pace or tricks. His job is to pop up and bag a goal from nowhere (like last week). 

He didn't miss it at all, he struck it very well and the defender blocked it. That's why we got a corner... He actually did very well to create that space and hit it so well. 

Most will judge Hooper on goals (he has the best goals to apps ratio of anyone at the club in the Championship, just better than FF), but it was interesting that CC withdrew him from the front line in the second half to take advantage of his link up play, which was excellent and often goes unmentioned.