The Old Leppings Lane Shed - 1928

9 minutes ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

What year did it come down ?

'65 I think. The current stand was done for the World Cup.

Although it's before my time, I think the Hillsborough between the North going up and the Lepp being done must have been when it was at it's greatest.

Have only the very vaguest of recollections of it.

What has always puzzled me was the little shed next to the North Stand. That was definitely demolished before the 1966 WC, as it's simply not there in footage of the WG v Switzerland game, yet I'm sure I've seen pictures of it still in place after the West Stand was built.....or at least I think I'm sure.

Don't know if dunsby can help with that one....

33 minutes ago, George said:

'65 I think. The current stand was done for the World Cup.

Although it's before my time, I think the Hillsborough between the North going up and the Lepp being done must have been when it was at it's greatest.

Thanks George,

My first visit was in the current  Lepp then, Jan '68...

21 hours ago, Soul Power said:

Should never have demolished it. Was a great standing area even though I was very young when I experienced it.

Agreed,  and the scoreboard above it was great. I remember seeing it in  62 from the kop on my first visit, as a little boy I thought it was modern!!

6 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Have only the very vaguest of recollections of it.

What has always puzzled me was the little shed next to the North Stand. That was definitely demolished before the 1966 WC, as it's simply not there in footage of the WG v Switzerland game, yet I'm sure I've seen pictures of it still in place after the West Stand was built.....or at least I think I'm sure.

Don't know if dunsby can help with that one....

Was the last thing they knocked down. Utter disgrace at the time. I was only young but can remember my dad and his friend were moaning about the directors at the time saying they cared nothing for the ordinary working man who could,nt afford to sit down in the posh new stands.