The Hillsborough Kop packed for the 1977 FA Cup Semi Final

15 hours ago, marshy said:

Far too much stigma attached to us for there ever to be a Semi Final at hillsborough. We could knock the whole of the west stand down & rebuild it & still we'd never get a emi final awarded. Plus Wembley was so much over budget, the FA will see to it that Semi finals are there for years to come.

rebuild it

We've had a semi-final and a league cup final replay since then.

The fact that the ground is small by modern standards with a lot of restricted views is why we didn't used to get games and as said elsewhere, the FA is lining its own coffers by playing semis at Wembley.

I think that makes sense Jamsandwich

That picture makes it look like it was just across the road - which it wasn't

Dragging my memory back I probably can remember the cooling towers back of the dog track - isn't there a college down there now

That photo looks odd. Neepsend power station was pulled down years ago, but I can't remember it ever being visible from the north stand. 

Man u have a terrible record at Hillsboro. I've seen them lose semis to spurs in 1962 and whu 1964. Seen them draw with Leeds in 1965 and 1970.  I missed this game. Can't recall it at all. Think mancs played Liverpool in the final 1977.  

Just seen the other photos. Yes, it's right.  Telephoto lens made it look odd. 

Edited by Lincs Owl

I will take that last picture as categoric evidence of their existence !

Much better perspective they just weren't as close as the first picture made out

5 hours ago, George said:

We've had a semi-final and a league cup final replay since then.

The fact that the ground is small by modern standards with a lot of restricted views is why we didn't used to get games and as said elsewhere, the FA is lining its own coffers by playing semis at Wembley.

And the Chesterfield v Middlesboro FA cup semi-final replay in 1997. 

Guest white kanu
On 21 September 2016 at 22:53, mkowl said:

Sure there have never been towers there - absolutely convinced that is a photoshop of the ones used to be at Tinsley 

If I am wrong I must have always gone past with my eyes shut

I agree plus the hill in the background isn't right plus I thought we didn't get an electronic scoreboard till the eighties and I can't remember one there or that strange wall. Very odd.

23 hours ago, Bristol_Owl said:

Same here was sat on the barrier below the score board

But though it was Man U end and got "invaded" by about 30-40 leeds hardcore which was brave/foolhardy thing to do as Man U had a bad reputation at the time. They didn't stay on the kop long though.

Definately the Leeds end. We wanted Man U to win, especially when the Leeds fans cheered as our half time score was read out losing 3-0 to Palace.

9 hours ago, white kanu said:

I agree plus the hill in the background isn't right plus I thought we didn't get an electronic scoreboard till the eighties and I can't remember one there or that strange wall. Very odd.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.  Where do we get them from...