Howard Wilkinson

Dinosaur here - one great thing about Wilko's team.....

You could predict numbers 1-11 week in week out.

Settled side and settled formation. Everyone knew their job.

If injured, suspended, or off form, you missed out, but apart from that the team was rock solid, and it worked brilliantly.

3 hours ago, TAOWL267 said:

Agreed. For all the  hard work they had a fair bit of skill. Cracking entertainment watching them steamroller sides as well.

And for all their hard work - they didn't work as hard as teams today

Especially high tempo teams who press

4 hours ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

Translated as 'Ah generation weren't a bunch a fannies'...

when defenders could kick the sh@t out of smaller quicker attackers to stop them and ruin careers.

Rose tinted spectacles?

Yes, they'd have given FF something to fall down for. He wouldn't have been a problem, because after 10 minutes he wouldn't have wanted the ball any more. It's like in Sunday League; if you're any good, you get a kicking. Big Jack always said that he couldn't play himself...but he knew how to stop those who could. Aye, them were t' days, lad.

1983/ 84 football is different to 2016 putting both sides at full fitness together on today's pitch Chesterfield would beat the national World Cup winning team of 66. That's not to say that team of 66 was awful, far from more the point. Football is a different game, with different tactics, and far superior athletes.

8 minutes ago, fpowl said:

1983/ 84 football is different to 2016 putting both sides at full fitness together on today's pitch Chesterfield would beat the national World Cup winning team of 66. That's not to say that team of 66 was awful, far from more the point. Football is a different game, with different tactics, and far superior athletes.

Yes, but given the same training the 83-84 players would soon adapt, just as the Arsenal back four did when suddenly Wenger came in and changed everything.

22 minutes ago, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

Yeah like we did in the second replay with Everton  0-5 I think it was and they were given just as much stick as yesterday ! 

I think Reid, Bracewell, Sheedy, Watson, Stevens, Steven, Southall, Lineker, Sharp etc were a fair bit better than Birmingham.

The fact that most of us that were about in the 80's could reel off that Everton squad 30 years later shows how good they were.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

I'm a dinosaur too but I don't think for one second that the team of 83-84 were fit enough to play 45 minutes at the pace of the game today.

Like all sports football has moved on so much that these kinds of comparisons, whilst a bit of fun, just aren't relevant. 

Edited by Morepork

7 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, they'd have given FF something to fall down for. He wouldn't have been a problem, because after 10 minutes he wouldn't have wanted the ball any more. It's like in Sunday League; if you're any good, you get a kicking. Big Jack always said that he couldn't play himself...but he knew how to stop those who could. Aye, them were t' days, lad.

I know it's a bit later but I always think of the treatment Hirst used to get...especially from Arsenals legendary defence...It was horrific.