Abdi

Just now, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Glad someone else noticed this.

Not saying he played well (he didn't play poorly), but we looked a poorer team after he went off. 

We conceded far more chances.

Think we conceded more chances because Birmingham went route 1, or head tennis as I heard on TV.

and what has big dave got to do to win a foul? We should have been in possession a couple of times, not under the cosh!

1 minute ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Should play in a formation like this :

Westwood

Lees   Hutch  Loovens

Hunt                                 Reach

Lee         Bannan

Abdi

Fletcher     Forestieri 

Lees, Hutch and Loovens have only all been available for Wigan and Bristol.

What do you do on the many occasions when one of them

is injured or suspended?

6 minutes ago, RichSheffWeds said:

Should play in a formation like this :

Westwood

Lees   Hutch  Loovens

Hunt                                 Reach

Lee         Bannan

Abdi

Fletcher     Forestieri 

This 

3 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Lees, Hutch and Loovens have only all been available for Wigan and Bristol.

What do you do on the many occasions when one of them

is injured or suspended?

It's a formation that would bring the best out of our most talented player. 

What do we do in any other position? We bring in the best quality players to cover the position. 

God only knows why a quality centre half was at the bottom of our shopping list this summer.

1 minute ago, RichSheffWeds said:

It's a formation that would bring the best out of our most talented player. 

What do we do in any other position? We bring in the best quality players to cover the position. 

God only knows why a quality centre half was at the bottom of our shopping list this summer.

I totally agree.

but changing from 4 at the back to 3 takes a total

commitment to the philosophy.

I don't see how we can do that when we only have three centre halves good enough to play regularly for a top 6 team.

1 minute ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I rest my case.

Then we play 442 at home and mix it up. Personally I'd think about playing bannan/lee at home and jones/abdi in CM away. The thing is that most people on here think it's the end of the world when we lose one player, but the fact is that we have the strongest squad in a long time, so use it.when the winter suspensions and injuries kick in, we will be in a far better position than most. We are used to a first eleven with poor options in reserve, not so now. I don't worry because deep down I know we have the players and manager to do it, patience is never a virtue on here 

22 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Why is it daft to say play him central or don't play him? He is awful left.

Then i misread your post - in which case my apologies

I wouldn't say he is awful left - maybe in our system but how many of our players would you say could hold down a regular place in the premier league - in a team of internationals that finished very respectably too?

But he played left in a 3 - and thats the key - he thrives in a 3 man midfield - not wide of a 4 nor central in a 2

4 minutes ago, Shelley Owl said:

Then we play 442 at home and mix it up. Personally I'd think about playing bannan/lee at home and jones/abdi in CM away. The thing is that most people on here think it's the end of the world when we lose one player, but the fact is that we have the strongest squad in a long time, so use it.when the winter suspensions and injuries kick in, we will be in a far better position than most. We are used to a first eleven with poor options in reserve, not so now. I don't worry because deep down I know we have the players and manager to do it, patience is never a virtue on here 

I really don't think you can just change between 3 at the back and 4 at the back at will.

It is a major change to the system and DNA of a team. Far more so than switching between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3.

if you change to three at the back you need to fully commit to it and tailor your recruitment around it. We didn't, so for this season (certainly until January) I don't think it is an option.

3 minutes ago, scram said:

Then i misread your post - in which case my apologies

I wouldn't say he is awful left - maybe in our system but how many of our players would you say could hold down a regular place in the premier league - in a team of internationals that finished very respectably too?

But he played left in a 3 - and thats the key - he thrives in a 3 man midfield - not wide of a 4 nor central in a 2

i wouldnt say he 's been awful here he just hasnt done anything he's neat and tidy doesnt give it away doesnt create anything .....he may well be played out of his favoured position but you'd think a good player like him could do a little more .

16 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I really don't think you can just change between 3 at the back and 4 at the back at will.

It is a major change to the system and DNA of a team. Far more so than switching between 4-4-2 and 4-3-3.

if you change to three at the back you need to fully commit to it and tailor your recruitment around it. We didn't, so for this season (certainly until January) I don't think it is an option.

You are right about changing the formation all the time, it won't work. But I do think that the players we have, unintentionally, are more suited to a 3-5-2, and I'd work on playing that formation every game.other than that it has to be 4-4-2 changing the central midfielders 

Just now, Shelley Owl said:

You are right about changing the formation all the time, it won't work. But I do think that the players we have, unintentionally, are more suited to a 3-5-2, and I'd work on playing that formation every game.other than that it has to be 4-4-2 changing the central midfielders 

We don't have enough cover to go to 3 centre backs. One injury and we'll be walking a tightrope of having to revert to 4-4-2.