The Top Six

If we pretend that no other team will ultimately break into the expected party, the table is not looking too bad despite our doom and gloom.

Newcastle 9

Brighton 8

Wolves 8

Norwich 8

Villa 7

Derby 5

Wednesday 5

Four points off the predicted clear champions, three points off an auto spot, and joint 6th.

Huddersfield, Fulham et al wont be allowed into the Prem. Poxy clubs.

OK there will be one or two shock stayers, but I still see at least five if not all seven of the above will be there at the sharp end. 

Couple of wins on the bounce at Hillsborough and we will be flying.

Reckon we'll finish ahead of Villa, Wolves, maybe Derby too. Brighton look good for automatic this year IMO. Then you've got Norwich and Newcastle, who could both run away with the league, but equally both could find the championship a lot harder than expected. 

We need to beat these teams to finish ahead of them though. We showed in the playoffs we can beat Brighton, so I don't see why we can't beat the rest

Hard to say but already seems a lot tougher than last season. The big spenders are in another League, we got a job on to just equal last season's sixth place finish to be honest and realistic. Quite a few capable dark horses too along with ourselves, Brighton and Derby. Makes for a very interesting season. Expecting us to finish somewhere between 6th and 9th, as long as we keep building and getting stronger eventually we'll go up but think we'll have a better chance next season, can see all three relegated sides bouncing straight back.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

9 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Hard to say but already seems a lot tougher than last season. The big spenders are in another League, we got a job on to just equal last season's sixth place finish to be honest and realistic. Quite a few capable dark horses too along with ourselves, Brighton and Derby. Makes for a very interesting season. Expecting us to finish somewhere between 6th and 9th, as long as we keep building and getting stronger eventually we'll go up but think we'll have a better chance next season, can see all three relegated sides bouncing straight back.

If you have 10 minutes flirt with the Norwich and Villa forums. Will cheer you up no end.

Then just when you think it couldnt get any better, have a quick play on the Derby forum.

Bed. Goodnight!

27 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Really don't see anyone except for maybe Brighton themselves getting as many points as Burnley, Middlesbrough or Brighton last season. Newcastle and Norwich may look good on the surface but they will not be as consistent as the top two last year. Villa would be frankly amazing to turn themselves around that quickly. Derby in a similar position to us. 

I'm guessing it will be tighter among the top ten teams than last year, where there was a gap of 19 points from 1st to 6th, and 30 points from 1st to 10th. This year I reckon 85 gets you automatic, 75 playoffs, but there will be quite few teams around 65-75 points

27 minutes ago, robswfc said:

Really don't see anyone except for maybe Brighton themselves getting as many points as Burnley, Middlesbrough or Brighton last season. Newcastle and Norwich may look good on the surface but they will not be as consistent as the top two last year. Villa would be frankly amazing to turn themselves around that quickly. Derby in a similar position to us. 

I'm guessing it will be tighter among the top ten teams than last year, where there was a gap of 19 points from 1st to 6th, and 30 points from 1st to 10th. This year I reckon 85 gets you automatic, 75 playoffs, but there will be quite few teams around 65-75 points

Aye, it will be tight and it's a more stronger League than last season by the looks of it. I think the main difference will probably be squad depth. The three relegated sides, ourselves and the two other teams that missed out in the play offs have an edge squad wise. The dark horses will probably fall away due to squad depth, I expect us to be challenging for a play off spot again but I can see it being even harder than last season, hopefully we'll get in the top six again because if we keep challenging and building eventually we'll go up.

14 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Aye, it will be tight and it's a more stronger League than last season by the looks of it. I think the main difference will probably be squad depth. The three relegated sides, ourselves and the two other teams that missed out in the play offs have an edge squad wise. The dark horses will probably fall away due to squad depth, I expect us to be challenging for a play off spot again but I can see it being even harder than last season, hopefully we'll get in the top six again because if we keep challenging and building eventually we'll go up.

My thoughts as well, I can't see Wednesday being in front of 2 of the 3 relegated clubs at the end of the season which 2 I don't know but that obviously means it's play offs at best imo. 

I think everyone involved with Wednesday including dc and cc would take 6th place 

3 minutes ago, Geedee said:

My thoughts as well, I can't see Wednesday being in front of 2 of the 3 relegated clubs at the end of the season which 2 I don't know but that obviously means it's play offs at best imo. 

I think everyone involved with Wednesday including dc and cc would take 6th place 

Me too, especially as I never expected us to be near the play offs or to make the final. I'd much prefer us to be building, progressing and challenging for top six each year rather than struggling to just stay up like we used to for years. As long as we keep getting stronger on and off the pitch, then if and when we do go up we'll be ready for it. It's just the way things are going with the tv money, transfers and parachute payments etc, that gives it a bad taste and makes it seem like a closed shop. But we've come a long way in a short space of time and we're lucky to still have a club to support, the top flight isn't the be all and end all to me, I'm just grateful and glad we're decent again. I'm sure we'll get going again soon and give it a go like last season.

Top ten surely, but top six? Alas I have my doubts. We've lost the element of surprise now, and DC won't risk breaking FFP and going for it because the league looks too strong this season to gamble. And if we finish top 6, would we want to be beaten again in the playoffs? Like Geedee, I can't see our finishing above the three who came down in May. A better bet would be to ladle and teem with the players we have. Ship out those we don't want, and bed in those we do. Then, if the league is weaker next season, gamble and go for it.

I do wonder if DC is looking at how strong the league is this season and keeping his powder dry.

If we're within range come January with what we already have he could really go for it then, as a previous chairman should have done when we were in that rare position once.

But if we're not then just settle this side together and do the big spend next summer in possibly a weaker league and to keep FFP further away.

Most likely to come down are Burnley, Hull and Boro. Whilst still with prem money if we get rid of Villa,Norwich,Newcastle (possibly Wolves) i think that might be more appealing to DC.

Not fussed about Derby or Brighton staying down as without parachute payments , Derby hammering FFP and our side with another year together and summer money spent i think we'd have a start on them.

If even 1 of them goes up in place of 1 the relegated 3 (+ Wolves) would be a disaster for next season.Hope we continue to sensibly push for promotion this season, entertain the fans and keep developing the side as our real chance might be a year away, tough as that is.

One thing is for sure, the 8 points we dropped in the last few games will be the difference one way or another. Either cost us championship, automatic or play offs. It's the Wednesday way!

I reckon we slip in the backdoor of the playoffs again. Get to Wembley and then ...

I have no doubt we'll make top six but I just don't believe we can go up automatically.

That's disappointing because i feel we could have done with a couple more additions pre season.

I just can't get excited about the play offs because it's a complete lottery

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

If we pretend that no other team will ultimately break into the expected party, the table is not looking too bad despite our doom and gloom.

Newcastle 9

Brighton 8

Wolves 8

Norwich 8

Villa 7

Derby 5

Wednesday 5

Four points off the predicted clear champions, three points off an auto spot, and joint 6th.

Huddersfield, Fulham et al wont be allowed into the Prem. Poxy clubs.

OK there will be one or two shock stayers, but I still see at least five if not all seven of the above will be there at the sharp end. 

Couple of wins on the bounce at Hillsborough and we will be flying.

Fulham  who recently were top flight and reached  a European final. 

Huddersfield with a trophy count similar to ours.

Dismissing them as poxy is shockingly arrogant 

16 minutes ago, Belfast Owl 2 said:

Fulham  who recently were top flight and reached  a European final. 

Huddersfield with a trophy count similar to ours.

Dismissing them as poxy is shockingly arrogant 

Or Tongue in cheek. 

I am am under no illusion.

Huddersfield could stay the course, although I hope they fall short like Birmingham did last season.

Having seen Newcastle pick Brighton off with ease (and with only one fit striker) I fully expect them to steam roller the league from here on in.

top six would be an outstanding achievement from here.

Guest Wonder Spaniel

You could say that we are ahead of some teams, in that we have got our 'blip' out of the way nice and early in the season. We can concentrate on winning now............please!