Hooper

By the looks of the Brentford game I think we'll score plenty if we stick with Joao and Fletcher. We had about 4 goals cleared off the line which technically made it 5-1 to us, and their goalkeeper was outstanding. Brentford's defence did outstanding to keep it a clean sheet for so long, that wont happen most games

1 minute ago, Animis said:

That's a really strange way of looking at things - like discounting the Ronaldos and Messis of this world when they score a brace or hatrick or a cricket batsman's century when looking at his average.

Hooper is a goal scorer - has been throughout his career at many clubs in many leagues.  

Hey, I don't have an opinion on it... if anything I put it like that to make a point

7 in 24 sounds a bit poor from an "out-and-out" goalscorer

Only scoring in 5 matches out of the last 24 sounds very poor

Yet I'm sure if you did it by goals-to-minutes, it'd be closer to a goal ever 180 minutes (haven't actually chekced this, but wouldn't surprise me)

Guess it depends on the way you swing it as to whether you think that's good enough or not. My only opinion is that he's tubby, and his past goalscoring record he's in the top 3 best out-and-out goalscorers in the league. I'll let everyone else decide whether he's lost his mojo or not 

3 minutes ago, Beholder said:

Was the missing piece last season.

This year the jigsaw had changed a bit.

On paper,  him and Fletcher should make a good partnership.  

Firmly believe that once Hooper starts converting some of the chances that Fletcher is creating then they will be an unplayable duo

don't know why we are worrying  that is Hooper ,He has a proven record in the goal stakes which has shown his abilities in front  of goal ,this happen'd last season , and then it clicked which leads to a different scenario where we all sing his praises ,,the period will come when he can't stop scoring and that is how and what you get with strikers such as Hooper

1 minute ago, trevdi9 said:

don't know why we are worrying  that is Hooper ,He has a proven record in the goal stakes which has shown his abilities in front  of goal ,this happen'd last season , and then it clicked which leads to a different scenario where we all sing his praises ,,the period will come when he can't stop scoring and that is how and what you get with strikers such as Hooper

Sod off with talking sense Trev. lol 

2 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Who would you replace him with?  He is a 20 goal a season striker in this league give the proper chance, set up and support.

Be interested to see the reactions if he goes out on loan and starts to score goals....

He will come good IMHO

1 hour ago, torres said:

He is no different at all. 

He scores people say he's brilliant, he doesn't score he's no good!

Against Birmingham away he was dire! His shirt didn't have a patch of dirt on it. But he scored 2 and people hail him as outstanding.

Exaxt same performance and no goals, he's dreadful.

Perfectly highlights the issue with playing strikers like Hooper on a regular basis. It's why strikers of his ilk usually end up as squad players for the top teams.

Guest everydays_wednesday
On 28 August 2016 at 11:50, wilyfox said:

He's never been the leanest. Could be down to body-type, like Rooney. 

I keep saying that about myself to avoid dieting.....!

The issue is that we have a lot of good players , while not yet sorting out a good team ,and even at the moment it is not easy to start hooper.

If we sign Reach, or another quality left winger, as Carlos obviously wants to then they will probably improve us further and it will be straight choice between FF and Hooper up front.

Some perspective.

FF has 5 in 23.

When they played as a pair, Hooper scored a poor 4. FF scored zero.

FF has one goal as a dual striker since Nov 7th.

I think most of the above are largely explained by the fact that the Hooper/FF pairing was a goal scoring disaster. 

As others have said, Hooper and Fletcher look a pair ready made to score a lot of goals for us this season.

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

7 in his last 24 league appearances, including 2 goals in two of those games, meaning he's scored in 5 games in his last 24. 

Be interesting to see whether people deem that good enough

So we can add multiple goals in one game to the 'doesn't count' list alongside:

tap-ins

penalties

goals against bottom of the table sides