Where do you think we will finish based on what you've now seen?

10th to 14th, a hugely disappointing season. And this is coming from the guy that said we'd finish 6th to 8th last season even before the opening day, and the guy that all pre-season has said we should/will finish in the top 4 this season up until the opening day again.

Recruitment has been very, very poor overall not addressing last seasons' weaknesses at all. Every single signing has been good, but the overall recruitment has been highly sub-par. We need to really push the boat out in the next 5 days if we're going to salvage this season

2 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

10th to 14th, a hugely disappointing season. And this is coming from the guy that said we'd finish 6th to 8th last season even before the opening day, and the guy that all pre-season has said we should/will finish in the top 4 this season up until the opening day again.

Recruitment has been very, very poor overall not addressing last seasons' weaknesses at all. Every single signing has been good, but the overall recruitment has been highly sub-par. We need to really push the boat out in the next 5 days if we're going to salvage this season

Do you mean we've bought good players, but the wrong ones?

I just want to clarify.

2 minutes ago, LocomotiveOwlerton said:

Do you mean we've bought good players, but the wrong ones?

I just want to clarify.

Pretty much yes

You look at individual deals, eg Abdi for £4 million. On paper, that's one of the best transfers any Championship club has done this window

Steven Fletcher on a free... again, on paper absolutely smashes 95% of other transfers any other club has done out the water... cracking player on a free

Jones for a couple of million... incredible in this market. 

You combine all the transfers together, what has our recruitment been? A bunch of players in their late 20s/early 30s in positions that we were already considered 'strong' in. No resale value in any of them and not addressing the areas we all thought we were weak in last season. We're still weak in exactly the same areas now as we were in May. Arguably the Jones signing is finally addressing the defensive midfielder position, and Buckley can be considered half of the winger issue solved... but we're still weak in both fullback positions (with our only left back turning 31 in a month... there's no long-term player there and again I will bemoan Jake Bidwell going for £1.5 million until I'm blue in the face), still weak in the wings, still weak for a bit of oompf in the midfield on the bench if needed and still lacking pace. 

Signings have been great. Recruitment, poor. 

Hard to say. Still early days. We've had a tough and slow start in what looks like a tougher division but seem to be on our way back. Plus with Loovens our club captain and defensive leader on the way back and a few more signings needed. I expect us to get into form after the international break.

To be honest I think we'll have a job on to equal or better last season. However I still think we'll finish somewhere between 5th and 8th (based mainly upon the slow start just like last season and the firm belief that we'll continue progressing and building until we eventually make it back).

I concur with one of the above posters that recruitment has been poor, although I would rather use the word average as I know it has not been easy for many clubs.

The problem is we have not strengthened enough in the areas where we were short last season.

We all know what happened when we lost Lees for about 8 matches last season and we already know what happens when we lose him this season. I can't see either Lees or Hutch staying fit for the full season and the replacements we have (with the exception of Loovens) are not good enough.

On that assumption I would say 9th, but the old saying is it's a funny old game so you never know.

Just think though we could have wasted £12m on McCormack lol, Villa must be very happy - not!!