"Back to our best today"

So, as I see it then......

Plenty of talent in the squad to enable us to compete near the top of the table again although quickly realising automatic promotion might be a little ambitious (on current form).

Still tinkering about with players to find the right balance and team has cost us points, so the sooner we find the right combination the better. This is a lesson we should have learned from previous seasons though.

Yesterday's team and performance suggests to me that largely sticking with the players we had last season, with just one or two changes in key positions, where we all knew issues needed addressing last season, was the way to go.

However, we don't quite seem to have got the recruitment right. Where is the commanding centre back, where is the genuine right back option, where is the genuine left back option, what is Bannan's role now, does he know, does the keeper we brought in add genuine competition for the first team jersey, what exactly does Abdi add, do we have to re-jig the team just to accommodate him, who is going to be the main strike partnership to score all our goals, are questions still awaiting answers for me.

Quality strength in depth only seems to apply to midfield, and I feel we could be caught out by injuries in certain positions if we are unlucky, with this season suggesting so far that luck is not with us.

And we need to sort out discipline and application issues. Jones getting done for dissent, especially at a key point in the game when we needed to claw our way back, and after it had been made clear before the season started that dissent would be punished, then Joao failing to knock one in with his nob-end, that would then have changed the course of the game, need sorting sharpish.

But, after a good 'get it off my chest" moan.......

Get the balance of the team right sharpish (Carlos has already admitted he's failed on this so far), get a settled team out every week, understand his new best team, getting the players to understand their new roles, stop missing chances, get the organisation and application right that we're well known for, avoid injuries, and we might be cooking on gas again sooner rather than later.

Fingers crossed, but I think we're kind of making progress. Frustrating though.

Sorry, could've summed it up by saying a bleeding shambles so far in all respects but starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.

Whatever it takes, unless Newcastle, Villa, or Norwich are interested should've read...............

but you can't really compete with that can you?

Edited by theowlsman

1 hour ago, vid80 said:

As long as we are creating chances it is only a matter of time before the goals start flowing, I would rather have a slow start and build momentum going into the second half of the season.

i'd have gone for a hot, or even red hot start and built from there...

51 minutes ago, dnhc said:

i'd have gone for a hot, or even red hot start and built from there...

Yeah that would work too, what i meant to say that if there was to be a blip i would rather have it at thos point in the season.

They played extremely well today not at the 100% that we actually used to but still very well played think there's one or two things to iron out and we should be there or  thereabouts  The sending off was actual stupid  goalkeepers mistake like that is not acceptable even though it was only a mistake and it,s not like  he doe,s that ever week 2 week now let's get 1/2 more players we need in and get the team too gel

A last gasp equaliser is never a bad thing. 

Means we can go into the international break on a positive. 

There is plenty of talent and ability in this squad and perhaps the 2 week break will allow CC time to work out our best line up etc. 

Early days. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl

I thought we played three cbs when Abdi came on?  Lee at right back is NOT the answer. He is a terrible full back

32 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I thought we played three cbs when Abdi came on?  Lee at right back is NOT the answer. He is a terrible full back

Yeah it looked like Hutch, Lees and Pudil at the back, which was OK for the last 15 when we were trying to rescue a point

On 27 August 2016 at 18:42, prowl said:

"Carvalhal says his team back to their best today, suggesting it could be a turning point like Burnley away last season". According to Staton

I think there might be a few who disagree.

Another big misquote from Staton.

That was his quote, not Carvalhal.

I don't know why he finds is so difficult to capture something in 140 characters tbh

14 hours ago, SiJ said:

A last gasp equaliser is never a bad thing. 

Means we can go into the international break on a positive. 

There is plenty of talent and ability in this squad and perhaps the 2 week break will allow CC time to work out our best line up etc. 

Early days. 

let us hope so...

but your statement of 'plenty of talent and ability in this squad' is totally true, but it needs using to it's maximum effect...

it's clear to us all that at present it's not achieving maximum returns...

i keep banging on about this, but it is a fact that when dc was in the 'planning' and 'building' stages of this venture he envisaged a 'manager' above and working with the 'coach'...

we are still in need of that guiding hand...

like it or NOT, this division cannot be won with a diminutive side playing southern european paced football...

5 minutes ago, dnhc said:

let us hope so...

but your statement of 'plenty of talent and ability in this squad' is totally true, but it needs using to it's maximum effect...

it's clear to us all that at present it's not achieving maximum returns...

i keep banging on about this, but it is a fact that when dc was in the 'planning' and 'building' stages of this venture he envisaged a 'manager' above and working with the 'coach'...

we are still in need of that guiding hand...

like it or NOT, this division cannot be won with a diminutive side playing southern european paced football...

Disagree about size.

Agree about pace.

Got to get the tempo up early in games, not after 45 minutes.

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Disagree about size.

Agree about pace.

Got to get the tempo up early in games, not after 45 minutes.

you're correct on the last 2...

but are wrong about size...

we won little ball in the aerial duels at brentford, other sides will see that, and i wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if we're forced into playing far more in the air than we have been...

playing wednesday at hillsborough? 'set up with 2 banks of 4, and get a foot in when you can, when the ball is won early release to 2 fast 'raiders' and get the ball airborne as often as possible...

at home, you can go with 3 at the back (we have little width), and 5 in m/f, same attack...

we're not rocket science to crack, we got away with it last term due to english championship sides having some 'poor' tactical managers...

whilst early on in the season, ipswich 'ripped us a new un' at portman road with a simple through ball in the air...