Binary Thinking

I miss DJ Mortimer on here. His discussions were everything that I feel about the club now. Not everything's black and white. You don't need to take sides. It's not binary. 

A story that darra posted earlier about misuse of the name and badge did hawk back to the bad times. If Allen had done that we wouldn't have the majority of posters defending him like Chansiri has had. It would have been the opposite. 

And this is the crux. Chansiri has chucked a few million at players and so we're willing to accept it. 

At the same time he's changed the badge, okay, the shirt because he doesn't like stripes, with no promise of a return to our blue and white, and for me, I've purposely stayed out of ticketing threads, but I despise being that club that teams want to boycott, the most expensive team in the league.

I get what Kivo is saying when he talks about tickets, I just think his message is stronger if it isn't repeated so often, and then people just get annoyed with the actual poster. And I'm totally guilty of saying the prices reflect the investment.

Not sure what I'm trying to say here. Bit drunk.

Reading this felt a bit like watching one of those movies where it finishes & your just sat thinking .... It can't finish like that surely! But it does and you just have to deal with it. So guess I'll just deal with it lol 

to be fair tho I prefer the old badge & the old kit but prefer the new players so it's another one of those we have to deal with it situations again. We've all been asking for the gravy train for years don't forget. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, eccentric owl said:

Reading this felt a bit like watching one of those movies where it finishes & your just sat thinking .... It can't finish like that surely! But it does and you just have to deal with it. So guess I'll just deal with it lol 

to be fair tho I prefer the old badge & the old kit but prefer the new players so it's another one of those we have to deal with it situations again. We've all been asking for the gravy train for years don't forget. 

I don't want the gravy train - I'd rather have the jus coach with a bit more respect for tradition. 

11 minutes ago, eccentric owl said:

You know, I wrote a really poignant ending, and it was that cheesy it felt like Mel Gibson was delivering it on a horse in front of an army.

So I went for the truth instead.

25 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Whatever happened to DJ Mortimer? I liked him.

He was proud of his cult following and had a penchant for posting images of folk in pointy hats and flaming torches...

Never the same levels of posting since Dave Jones left.

Perhaps he's found an inner peace?

:rolleyes:

For me Chansiri needs to spend more each season to justify the price increases and us being one of the most expensive sides in the country to support outside of London. If we spend another 10m on two players to get us promoted then fair enough, but so far this summer we've not been competitive in the transfer market. Ticket sales at current prices should be bringing in approx. £15-20m a season. That is what we the fans are putting into the club. To my eyes Chansiri should be at least doubling that if he is to claim he is an ambitious owner with designs on promotion (or at least putting in as much as possible to avoid falling foul of FFP- which he should be able to get around anyway by sponsoring us/sponsoring the stadium etc). That means we should have £30-40m to play with each year. 

Our wage bill at an educated guess is around £10m a year. And so far this summer we've spent what £7m? So at the moment as I see it the fans are bankrolling the club. 

Chansiri needs to spend another £10-12m on wages and fees this summer or in January (preferably now) in order to justify the ticket prices.  

1 hour ago, robswfc said:

Our wage bill at an educated guess is around £10m a year. And so far this summer we've spent what £7m? So at the moment as I see it the fans are bankrolling the club. 

Chansiri needs to spend another £10-12m on wages and fees this summer or in January (preferably now) in order to justify the ticket prices.  

Not a dig, if we assume your estimates on wages and transfer fee's are correct, can you please elaborate on your calculations regarding ticket revenue because I just can't see that the fans are bankrolling the club to a a point where they are generating even half of that expenditure.

Edited by Morepork

After so many years of accepting crap and wishing we had a sugar daddy and had a decent team again. We've finally got a decent team again and a sugar daddy but now we wish for even more, when the relegated teams throw their money around and just being in the Premier League equals £100m or something ridiculous. In the past through the Dave Allen's that's all we really had was the past. Now we've been modernised as a club, we may not have our familiar badge or familiar stripes but it's still the same old Wednesday we love week in week out.

Personally I'm glad we've got Chansiri and Carlos, and I wouldn't want to go through the dark times again. Some of our fellow fans have lived through the 70's and the 2000's but at the end of the day it's just football and we want the best for Sheffield Wednesday and to enjoy the football win, lose or draw. I'm grateful we've still got a club to support and hope to see the Wednesday back in the top flight again one day but to me the Premier League isn't the be all and end all.

Enjoyment and history are far more important to me than top flight status and I just want to enjoy following and watching this famous old club even though these days it's hard to afford it, it beats just fighting for survival year in year out or being in the Lower Leagues.

3 hours ago, robswfc said:

For me Chansiri needs to spend more each season to justify the price increases and us being one of the most expensive sides in the country to support outside of London. If we spend another 10m on two players to get us promoted then fair enough, but so far this summer we've not been competitive in the transfer market. Ticket sales at current prices should be bringing in approx. £15-20m a season. That is what we the fans are putting into the club. To my eyes Chansiri should be at least doubling that if he is to claim he is an ambitious owner with designs on promotion (or at least putting in as much as possible to avoid falling foul of FFP- which he should be able to get around anyway by sponsoring us/sponsoring the stadium etc). That means we should have £30-40m to play with each year. 

You must be fishing? 

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

Not a dig, if we assume your estimates on wages and transfer fee's are correct, can you please elaborate on your calculations regarding ticket revenue because I just can't see that the fans are bankrolling the club to a a point where they are generating even half of that expenditure.

Average attendance 23,000 x 25 games (should be at least 2 home cup games per year) x £25 (guess at average price paid per fan) + playoff ticket revenue from last season (guess at £3m) + catering (guess at 25 x £50,000 = £1.25m

= £18,625,000

7 hours ago, Furious George said:

I miss DJ Mortimer on here. His discussions were everything that I feel about the club now. Not everything's black and white. You don't need to take sides. It's not binary. 

A story that darra posted earlier about misuse of the name and badge did hawk back to the bad times. If Allen had done that we wouldn't have the majority of posters defending him like Chansiri has had. It would have been the opposite. 

And this is the crux. Chansiri has chucked a few million at players and so we're willing to accept it. 

At the same time he's changed the badge, okay, the shirt because he doesn't like stripes, with no promise of a return to our blue and white, and for me, I've purposely stayed out of ticketing threads, but I despise being that club that teams want to boycott, the most expensive team in the league.

I get what Kivo is saying when he talks about tickets, I just think his message is stronger if it isn't repeated so often, and then people just get annoyed with the actual poster. And I'm totally guilty of saying the prices reflect the investment.

Not sure what I'm trying to say here. Bit drunk.

You're trying to say you miss DJMortimer, you don't like the badge change, or the ticket prices, or the loss of the stripes, and are less keen on the journey to the Premiership, if it means sacrifices like these.

Guest Deleted member

DJ Mortimer was a brilliant poster and is missed.

He probably got fed up of the constant abuse for posting his opinions that didn't toe the party line

9 minutes ago, edited said:

You must be fishing? 

Obviously based on a lot of educated guesses, but I would say £15-20m is about what the fans brought in last year. And that's without TV money. It seems pretty similar to what we're spending to me? 

How much of his own money do you think Chansiri is investing per year to try and get us promotion?

11 minutes ago, robswfc said:

Average attendance 23,000 x 25 games (should be at least 2 home cup games per year) x £25 (guess at average price paid per fan) + playoff ticket revenue from last season (guess at £3m) + catering (guess at 25 x £50,000 = £1.25m

= £18,625,000

Catering is outsourced and I'm sure i read it was 400k per season, and i think play off monies got divided between all 4 clubs and the football league. 

I think about 15-16 million won't be far of though including corporate boxes etc..