Happy 30th Birthday - Kop Roof :-)

On 26/08/2016 at 04:23, torryowl said:

you sure about it being the last home end .....

Yep. Used to go to every match. All the home clubs had a covered end and more oftrn than not in the 70s and 80s we as away fans would end up on the open away end. The exception was Newcastle who used to have a covered end at the Leazes end of the ground. This got demolished due to safety reasons some time in the 70s, the stand wasn't replaced and their fans transferred on to Gallowgate end.

On 8/27/2016 at 15:00, Soul Power said:

Yep. Used to go to every match. All the home clubs had a covered end and more oftrn than not in the 70s and 80s we as away fans would end up on the open away end. The exception was Newcastle who used to have a covered end at the Leazes end of the ground. This got demolished due to safety reasons some time in the 70s, the stand wasn't replaced and their fans transferred on to Gallowgate end.

i'm pretty sure palace didnt ,the holmdale end was open and thats were the hardcore palace fans stood .orient and reading if a remember rightly had two open ends as well.

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

i'm pretty sure palace didnt ,the holmdale end was open and thats were the hardcore palace fans stood .orient and reading if a remember rightly had two open ends as well.

I think if you ask the palace fans they will tell you the main core used to occupy the covered side terrace in the arthur wait stand. That is the stand opposite the main stand which is the same stand where the away fans are now seated. The holmesdsle end as you correctly point out was open but was the away end. I stood there many a time watching wednesday and the covered side terrace was definetly palaces home end.

Reading and Orient also had covered side terraces which they consider to be their "end" albeit not behind the goal, behind both goals were open but rarely used by home supporters. A number of clubs had big covered side terraces which were considered the home clubs "end". Kippax street Man City, Swansea, Burnley. We had nothing remotely like that.