Anger as Pokemon Go uses SWFC Hillsborough memorial as 'Pokestop'

CY18696138.jpg

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/anger-pokemon-go-players-use-11784590

The Hillsborough memorial in Sheffield is being used as a “Pokéstop” in the mobile game craze.

Pokemon Go player Ian Richardson, who is originally from Broadgreen but now lives in Sheffield, said he thought it was “distasteful” and “inappropriate” when he spotted the site on the online game - a smartphone version of the popular 1990s trading card game.

The memorial is near to the Sheffield Wednesday ground where 96 Liverpool FC fans died in the disaster on April 15, 1989.

Ian also noticed the Hillsborough Walled Garden, where replicas of Anfield’s Shankly Gates were placed in tribute to the 96, was another designated Pokéstop.

Edited by DeeJayOne

To be fair, people don't seem to stop at the actual memorial, I only see them around the bridge where it is comfortable to lean.

The way to really look at it though is to think of all the people who would not have known what the memorial was for and through this app have noticed it and read the description. 

10 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Anyone who still hasn't availed themselves of the actual facts of the disaster should seriously watch this:

No thanks I bet it doesn't say how they robbed pubs and shops who were trying to look after them after the ordeal or how late fans with no tickets were a little responsible for a near crush outside 

2 minutes ago, captain jack said:

No thanks I bet it doesn't say how they robbed pubs and shops who were trying to look after them after the ordeal or how late fans with no tickets were a little responsible for a near crush outside 

None of that is true.

17 minutes ago, DeeJayOne said:

Anyone who still hasn't availed themselves of the actual facts of the disaster should seriously watch this:

that show was certainly an eye opener. Made me feel a bit shameful when i watched it having believed the SYP spin etc