Tom Lees

15 minutes ago, GHS said:

To play devils advocate. 

£10m if put back into the transfer coffers would get us 2-3 good additions, going on dealings so far.

But it would be spent on centre backs, none of whom would be as good as Tom Lees.

15 minutes ago, GHS said:

To play devils advocate. 

£10m if put back into the transfer coffers would get us 2-3 good additions, going on dealings so far.

Again you don't know what we have in our coffers at the moment . 

We have pretty much built our team around lees hes the last player we need to be selling. 

Championship defenders only ever go for 6-7 million and thats nothing, plus we are still short in that position so cant see it happening .

If Burnley get anywhere near £15m they're wanting for Keane then we should be demanding the same for Lees. There's no way a team in the premier league should be getting a bargain deal when they will be making £200m from the PL + £15m for Keane 

no matter how tinpot they are

Edited by Southie_Owl

The only way we will sell is if the player forces the move. It's not like the old days where clubs could come along, offer the bare minimum and we were in no position to turn it down. We are building something here, we don't have to sell players to survive anymore like the pigs do.

Plus, Lees is on big money after he signed his last contract, one of the top earners. The only thing that may sway him is the lure of the Prem, but if he joined Burnley he will be coming straight back down anyway, and at a much smaller club.

I'm not too worried tbh.

2 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

The only way we will sell is if the player forces the move. It's not like the old days where clubs could come along, offer the bare minimum and we were in no position to turn it down. We are building something here, we don't have to sell players to survive anymore like the pigs do.

Plus, Lees is on big money after he signed his last contract, one of the top earners. The only thing that may sway him is the lure of the Prem, but if he joined Burnley he will be coming straight back down anyway, and at a much smaller club.

I'm not too worried tbh.

Short-term gain not worth it

So Brighton are rejecting 8m for dunk and we get offered 5m for Lees? Lees is one year older but has played twice as many games. 10m player for me Lees in the current market. And it would be very short sighted of him to go to Burnley.

4 minutes ago, Saxondale said:

I'm not too worried tbh.

The only concern is if Lees thinks going to play for Burnley in the prem for a season will a) get him noticed by England and b) get him noticed by bigger prem clubs who see that he can hack it in the prem 

hopefully he's more keen on achieving things with us than the above 

Guest wilyfox

Doubt it'll happen, whatever the offer. Clubs are determined to hold onto their best players at the moment as they're proving so difficult to replace in the current market. Prices are sky-high and availability is very limited. Clubs are better off with the player on their books than cash burning a hole in their pocket from a sale. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 hours ago, vulva said:

Do you get to games?

Lees has been outstanding since day 1.  Unbelievable signing for £250k.  

Totally agree mate.  Not slagging him, but I honestly believe he isn't the same player when Loovens isn't around.  As you know, I don't get to games but have watched every one of last seasons games either on live feeds or full game replays on Player.  For the money we paid he has been immense no denying that, but yes I would consider 8 million if someone offered it(not now of course seen as we have no fit defenders though).  Remember pal, I was right about Lavery too!! lol

Guest Kagoshimaowl
2 minutes ago, sage owl said:

tell Burnley they can have him straight swap for Keane and Mee , or failing that go and do one.

Funnily enough, I think he is better than both.  I rate Hanley higher though.  All in all I hope Lees stays at Hillsborough!!

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Mate I like Lees but Stones is far better 

Is he though, or is it 90% hype.

If people are touting 5 to 10 mill for Lees, is Stones 40 to 45 mill better?

Why would we sell assets for what can only be described as average to derisory offers, when A. we don't need to  and B. We would have to find replacements that were as good and presumably similar price.

I've seen Stones a few times on Sky and he looks like an accident waiting to happen. Which is the very reason he was dropped after gifting Tottenham i think it was, an easy goal after losing possession. 

Lees looks to me like an old fashioned defender, whose prime responsibility is to be defend, not to try & beat about 6 men in your own area.

Sean Dyche had a pop at us before the Wembley game supporting his own pal 'Brucie'. I'd take great delight in telling him to do one, stop making ridiculous offers and ask the question why any of our players would go to a much smaller club, with lesser support (even allowing for them now being a prem club) when they are already at a club that will shortly be overtaking them in the order of things.

It might also start to sink in eventually to some of our fan base who still seem to have the mindset of ten years ago, that while they weren't concentrating, we have become a club that acquires talent, not sells it.

1 hour ago, joelswfc said:

Agree with the general consensus on here. £10 million pounds or we don't even think about it. Definitely don't ell to a Championship club. If Lees wants to go to Sunderland it could be hard to stop him.

Burnley are a premiership club

Everyone calm down!

This reminds me of the Forestieri thread yesterday that was a non-starter, so I'll repeat my sentiments from that thread in here. We don't need to sell, so we can set the price high. If they want to offer £10m+ for him, then let them... once it hit that would be the only time we consider it. For £10m we could get some absolute global superstars in from the foreign transfer market. For those treating Tom Lees like Jesus, he's good but he's not that good. I guarantee you for £10m we could get a better foreign defender than Tom Lees currently is. We could probably get a better CB than Lees and then a partner about as good as Loovens but 5 years his junior for £10m... that to me sounds like a good deal.

But it's all semantics, because we've got our own superstar centre back at the club already, and he's going nowhere.