442. Who plays right?

3 minutes ago, curren said:

It's not a packed midfield though is it .

Playing one up gives freedom to the likes of AA,FF and Matias. 

You really shouldn't be pinning all your hopes on Hooper.

CC as spent £4m on AA and I dare say he hasn't done it to play him out of position or to replace Bannan or Lee

I suspect you are right. Carlos will have a cunning plan. It is a lot of money for a midfielder so I imagine all will be revealed on 7th.

Between us we haven't a clue. Neither has Di Mateo.

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I suspect you are right. Carlos will have a cunning plan. It is a lot of money for a midfielder so I imagine all will be revealed on 7th.

Between us we haven't a clue. Neither has Di Mateo.

It's great having such a great choice of forward players that it's impossible to call what formation we will play 

I posted the other day a similar post, but how we line up on a pre-match teamsheet, means very little to the way we play.

We play with so much fluidity and freedom, whether the players are lined up in a pre-match 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 makes little difference. From an attacking point of view, that will remain constant. We'll play with two centre halves, who will obviously maintain their position, but other than that, there's so much licence to roam, that it's impossible to label it a particular formation. Pudil and Hunt will often finds themselves the furthest players forward, Bannan will be the deepest one minute, and then out on the wing the next, Forestieri will go wherever he thinks he can cause the most damage, Kieran Lee will cover immense ground vertically, Hooper will drop deep into midfield, almost like a false nine, and I'm certain Abdi will find himself breaking the lines on a regular basis. 

Carlos will set us up defensively in line with the opposition. Against the likes of Villa, Newcastle, Norwich etc. you'd think we'd defend more like a 4-5-1, but then again, against Benfica, we set up in such a exemplary 4-4-2 defensive system, it was brilliant to watch. Very compact, very narrow, the team moved perfectly in sync. 

I'd imagine our "line-up" vs. Villa will look like this, but that system could easily become a 4-2-2-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-2-4, 2-4-4 etc. etc. depending on the situation and what the game requires. 

------------------------Westwood------------------------

Hunt-------------Lees------Hutchinson-----------Pudil

------------------------Bannan---------------------------

---------------Abdi-----------------Lee-------------------

---------------------Forestieri-----------------------------

--------------Hooper---------Fletcher--------------------

That's assuming Abdi will be considered fit enough. If not, Carlos may opt for Wallace, and it'll be a very similar set up to much of last season, but with Fletcher replacing Nuhiu/Joao. 

Edited by frastheowl

4 2 3 1

Westwood

Hunt Hutchinson Lees Pudil

Lee        Bannan

Hooper      Abdi       Forestieri

Fletcher

Subs Keane Palmer Semedo Melo

Wallace Matias Joao.

At least until we get more defenders in.

Westwood

Hunt Lees Hutchinson Pudil

Bannan  Lee

Abdi                    FF

Hooper              Fletcher

Could we make some kind of 4222 work?! Who knows how we will line up come the first game, wouldn't be surprised if one of Hooper/Fletcher doesn't start in order to accommodate FF/Abdi playing in there preferred positions.

Westwood

hunt, lees, hutch, pudil

bannan, Abdi, lees

Forestieri 

. Fletcher, hooper

simple. Best squad in years. I sat for ages working this out and am still thinking that formation could change, or players I haven't put in might be better. Matias looks rapid in pre season. Wallace. Still think we need another CB, but if we score 4 they have to score 5, right?

58 minutes ago, TheEnd1976 said:

Team v Aston Villa

442diamond.gif

It looks really strong, but I think your team with Lee for Wallace, so keeping the midfield narrower than last year. Pudil and Hunt both good on the overlap to provide width in attack.

3 hours ago, frastheowl said:

I posted the other day a similar post, but how we line up on a pre-match teamsheet, means very little to the way we play.

We play with so much fluidity and freedom, whether the players are lined up in a pre-match 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 makes little difference. From an attacking point of view, that will remain constant. We'll play with two centre halves, who will obviously maintain their position, but other than that, there's so much licence to roam, that it's impossible to label it a particular formation. Pudil and Hunt will often finds themselves the furthest players forward, Bannan will be the deepest one minute, and then out on the wing the next, Forestieri will go wherever he thinks he can cause the most damage, Kieran Lee will cover immense ground vertically, Hooper will drop deep into midfield, almost like a false nine, and I'm certain Abdi will find himself breaking the lines on a regular basis. 

Carlos will set us up defensively in line with the opposition. Against the likes of Villa, Newcastle, Norwich etc. you'd think we'd defend more like a 4-5-1, but then again, against Benfica, we set up in such a exemplary 4-4-2 defensive system, it was brilliant to watch. Very compact, very narrow, the team moved perfectly in sync. 

I'd imagine our "line-up" vs. Villa will look like this, but that system could easily become a 4-2-2-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, 4-2-4, 2-4-4 etc. etc. depending on the situation and what the game requires. 

------------------------Westwood------------------------

Hunt-------------Lees------Hutchinson-----------Pudil

------------------------Bannan---------------------------

---------------Abdi-----------------Lee-------------------

---------------------Forestieri-----------------------------

--------------Hooper---------Fletcher--------------------

That's assuming Abdi will be considered fit enough. If not, Carlos may opt for Wallace, and it'll be a very similar set up to much of last season, but with Fletcher replacing Nuhiu/Joao. 

You do great tactics posts Fras.

I also don't get those that would drop Lee from the starting line up.

We are playing a wide deep team defending, and a compact midfield three with a three up top wide when attacking.

Lee is key, probably more so then Abdi.   

29 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

I also don't get those that would drop Lee from the starting line up.

We are playing a wide deep team defending, and a compact midfield three with a three up top wide when attacking.

Lee is key, probably more so then Abdi.   

It seems to me, Wallace might be the vulnerable one, or maybe Hooper More likely Wallace though

I reckon 433 could be the way ahead.  Carlos tried this system at the beginning but reverted to a 442 due to probably not having the right players for the system CC wanted us to play. 

Westwood

Hunt    Lees     Loovens  Pudil

Lee Hutch  Bannan

Abdi               Forestieri

Fletcher

Westood

Hunt    Lees   Hutchinson Pudil

Lee   Bannan

Matias   Abdi   Forestieri

Fletcher

Westwood

Hunt   Lees  Hutch  Pudil

Abdi  Lee   Bannan  Forestieri

Hoops  Fletcher

Westwood

Lees  Hutch  Loovens

Hunt    Lee   Abdi  Bannan   Pudil

Fletcher  Forestieri

Whatever Carlos chooses, we are not short of options, that's for sure.  :manager:

We will not play 442 and we have not spent £4m on a central midfielder to play him wide right.

The biggest clue for me in how we will set up is the signing of Fletcher who's best attribute his is Ball retention and his ability to bring others into play.

Fletcher in front of a 5 man midfield gives the likes of FF and AA the licence to go and influence the game in areas that will hurt the opposition without having to worry too much about the defensive side of things.