Team for Villa

2 hours ago, Bez said:

Very shocking how not one person thinks we need a CDM. 

Unless you stop Lee attacking and force him to hold, we are very vulnerable defensively.  You can't force all those players in the team, you have to balance them and they need a dedicated CDM. 

Lee and Bannan can't do it - they roam around and get forward. 

It's a good point.

There's a reason Carlos didn't use Bannan and Lee as a pairing that often. If Lopez and/or Hutch were available, one of them started centrally.

I can't really imagine Carlos suddenly changing his opinion on the importance of that type of midfielder.

2 hours ago, DevOwls Advocate said:

Westwood

Hunt - Lees - Hutchinson - Pudil

Lee - Abdi - Bannan - Forestieri

Hooper - Fletcher

Informed by two key lessons learnt from the poor start to last season:

1. Don't underestimate the impact Keiran Lee has.

2. Don't mess with 4-4-2 at home.

In addition to that I would opine:

3. Hooper is our mast natural goalscorer (best minutes played to goals scored ratio), and we get the most out of him when he has a taller striker to play alongside.

4. Forestieri seemed to have a bigger impact on games when he was moved out to the left.

5. For most of pre-season we have gone with 4-4-2, why risk switching to a different formation without seeing it work in friendly games.

Taking point 3.

Hooper scored 9 goals in his 13 matches playing alongside Joao or Nuhiu. Now he has the chance to play alongside a significantly better tall forward. I hope for great things from the Hooper/Fletcher partnership this season.

2 hours ago, DevOwls Advocate said:

Westwood

Hunt - Lees - Hutchinson - Pudil

Lee - Abdi - Bannan - Forestieri

Hooper - Fletcher

Informed by two key lessons learnt from the poor start to last season:

1. Don't underestimate the impact Keiran Lee has.

2. Don't mess with 4-4-2 at home.

In addition to that I would opine:

3. Hooper is our mast natural goalscorer (best minutes played to goals scored ratio), and we get the most out of him when he has a taller striker to play alongside.

4. Forestieri seemed to have a bigger impact on games when he was moved out to the left.

5. For most of pre-season we have gone with 4-4-2, why risk switching to a different formation without seeing it work in friendly games.

Agree Lee is an extremely important player, but only as a central midfielder. His impact decreases dramatically if he's out wide.

Surely Bannan wide left is the more likely choice. He played there most of last season anyway and with Abdi now at the club, we don't need him as much for creativity.

Just now, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Agree Lee is an extremely important player, but only as a central midfielder. His impact decreases dramatically if he's out wide.

Surely Bannan wide left is the more likely choice. He played there most of last season anyway and with Abdi now at the club, we don't need him as much for creativity.

Possibly, but once we have possession our midfield is very fluid - which is part of our strength. So KL and FF will have plenty of opportunity to drift inside. While BB and AA will be better at picking the ball up from the centre backs IMO.

2 hours ago, Bez said:

Very shocking how not one person thinks we need a CDM. 

Unless you stop Lee attacking and force him to hold, we are very vulnerable defensively.  You can't force all those players in the team, you have to balance them and they need a dedicated CDM. 

Lee and Bannan can't do it - they roam around and get forward. 

2 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

It's a good point.

There's a reason Carlos didn't use Bannan and Lee as a pairing that often. If Lopez and/or Hutch were available, one of them started centrally.

I can't really imagine Carlos suddenly changing his opinion on the importance of that type of midfielder.

Whilst I wouldn't be surprised to see a more typically defensive midfielder brought in, Bannan or Lee could surely play the Lopez role, collecting the ball from the defence and spraying passes around in order to start attacks off.

Just because we've seen them in more attacking roles, there's no reason why they couldn't also excel in a more disciplined holding role, is there? If Abdi is able to perform one of the roles they did to the same or better quality, and they're able to perform the Lopez role more effectively, then the overall standard of our midfield would have improved.

It will be interesting to see whether Carlos is thinking along these lines or whether he wants a more archetypal defensive midfielder in too, at least as an option to fall back on.

11 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

It's a good point.

I think its a case of let the opposition worry about us for a change, let them sacrifice more creating midfielders and try and stop us.

I'm sure against the big boys, Newcastle etc he might drop someone in there at times.

Just now, agentwalker said:

I think its a case of let the opposition worry about us for a change, let them sacrifice more creating midfielders and try and stop us.

I'm sure against the big boys, Newcastle etc he might drop someone in there at times.

Plus I think our aim is better to have four ferrets in midfield nipping at people's ankles rather than just one big badger.

2 hours ago, MrEdwards said:

1481970_Sheffield_Wednesday.jpg

This is how I think we will play, not that different to last year, in particular the play 1St play off game against Brighton.

In the scenario above we are attacking down the left, if on the right Pudil would drop back a bit and forestieri would be around the D with Abdi further right

CBs high up the pitch

RB and LB operating as wingers when we are attacking on there side of the pitch and dropping back a bit when on the opposite side. 

Forestieri nominally as a LM but in a free role.

Abdi attacking mid, Lee and Bannan buzzing around offering a pass for the man on the ball and looking to slide the ball in to hoops and Fletch

Have we had subsidence issues during the summer?

For me there is no point playing Lee as an orthodox winger in a 442. However, if Hunt pushes up and Lee moves inside, he's great as a right sided central midfielder... as I've said the whole thing about what formation we will actually play is a bit unnecessary. The central defenders will stick in one place, if we have a CDM they will stick, the rest of the players will attack the ball, interchange and their position will be loose as yer mum.

2 minutes ago, DevOwls Advocate said:

Possibly, but once we have possession our midfield is very fluid - which is part of our strength. So KL and FF will have plenty of opportunity to drift inside. While BB and AA will be better at picking the ball up from the centre backs IMO.

Sounds great in theory. Fluidity, players interchanging, attacking creative football.

I personally don't think we can get away with it though, without sacrificing 1 of our 2 strikers. Who, let's be honest, are both out and out strikers and not really known for their workrate. 

Against the poorer teams at home perhaps. They'll sit in and happily concede possession. 

Just now, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Sounds great in theory. Fluidity, players interchanging, attacking creative football.

I personally don't think we can get away with it though, without sacrificing 1 of our 2 strikers. Who, let's be honest, are both out and out strikers and not really known for their workrate. 

Against the poorer teams at home perhaps. They'll sit in and happily concede possession. 

Villa were absolutely dire last season. Genuine question - who are the players in their team that you fear tearing us a new one?

9 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Whilst I wouldn't be surprised to see a more typically defensive midfielder brought in, Bannan or Lee could surely play the Lopez role, collecting the ball from the defence and spraying passes around in order to start attacks off.

Just because we've seen them in more attacking roles, there's no reason why they couldn't also excel in a more disciplined holding role, is there? If Abdi is able to perform one of the roles they did to the same or better quality, and they're able to perform the Lopez role more effectively, then the overall standard of our midfield would have improved.

It will be interesting to see whether Carlos is thinking along these lines or whether he wants a more archetypal defensive midfielder in too, at least as an option to fall back on.

It did cross my mind that Carlos may use Bannan in that role tbh. He's intelligent, good passer, works hard and doesn't mind a tackle. He certainly has the attributes.

But again, if it's 442 and Bannan's central, where does that leave Abdi and Lee. Unless of course we sacrifice a striker and go with more of a 433/451.

10 minutes ago, DevOwls Advocate said:

Villa were absolutely dire last season. Genuine question - who are the players in their team that you fear tearing us a new one?

Scott Sinclair and Rudy Gestede will be too good for this division. Then again we all thought that about some of our lads 16 years ago and look how that ended.

Just now, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Scott Sinclair and Rudy Gestede will be too good for this division. Then again we all thought that about some of our lads 16 years ago and look how that ended.

I like Gestede at this level, but needs service from wide. Sinclair being linked with move to Celtic. And Villa do remind me sooo much of us 16 years ago. Not saying they'll go down, but be surprised if they make top 6.

15 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

It did cross my mind that Carlos may use Bannan in that role tbh. He's intelligent, good passer, works hard and doesn't mind a tackle. He certainly has the attributes.

But again, if it's 442 and Bannan's central, where does that leave Abdi and Lee. Unless of course we sacrifice a striker and go with more of a 433/451.

I suppose we could go with something like this:

Westwood

Hunt     Lees     Hutch     Pudil

Lee     Abdi     Bannan     Forestieri

Hooper     Fletcher

But I wouldn't be surprised to see something more akin to this at times:

Westwood

Hunt     Lees     Hutch     Pudil

Lee     Bannan     Abdi

Forestieri

Hooper     Fletcher

Equally, we could need to get used to having some outstanding players on the bench at times, which is what characterised the best teams in the division last season. Having the likes of Lee, Wallace and Hooper to bring on in certain games is certainly a prospect to be embraced!

3 hours ago, MrEdwards said:

1481970_Sheffield_Wednesday.jpg

This is how I think we will play, not that different to last year, in particular the play 1St play off game against Brighton.

In the scenario above we are attacking down the left, if on the right Pudil would drop back a bit and forestieri would be around the D with Abdi further right

CBs high up the pitch

RB and LB operating as wingers when we are attacking on there side of the pitch and dropping back a bit when on the opposite side. 

Forestieri nominally as a LM but in a free role.

Abdi attacking mid, Lee and Bannan buzzing around offering a pass for the man on the ball and looking to slide the ball in to hoops and Fletch

image.jpg

WESTWOOD 

HUNT

LEES

HUTCHINSON

PUDIL

WALLACE

LEE

BANNAN

MATIAS 

HOOPER

FORESTIERI

SUBS

PALMER

New CB?

SEMEDO

ABDI

KEAN

FLETCHER 

JOAO

Tried and tested starting 11 to get us underway. Don't think carlos likes throwing players straight in. This team played well against benfica and I think he will go with it.