Team for Villa

14 minutes ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Not sure how anyone can start Matias atm , wallace Infront of him currently by far. Abdi like you say may not start instantly but you don't pay 4 mill for someone to sit on bench for long

Depends on how we line up.  If CC wants to play 433 then Matias is in with a shout. If we play 442 then Wallace should get the nod. Different players for different positions. The good news is now we have the option to change formations and still have players in their best positions.

For me our only weakness is in CB whilst Loovens is out.

Just now, fudge27 said:

Didn't realise the team for the first game has to be played all season.

Damn FA changing the rules

Fair enough. Off the bench then perhaps? Not sure about leaving hooper out either.

Anyone saying Matias ahead of either Wallace or Hooper are wanting us to experiment in our opening match against a promotion rival. 

On last season's form he is nowhere near a starting place. He might improve this season, but Villa at home on day one is no place for a trial. We had enough trials last August.

As the weeks unfold he and others will get plenty of chances to stake a claim to a shirt. But right now he is behind Wallace, Hooper, Abdi and the rest.

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

Hutchinson

Pudil

Abdi

Bannan

Lee

Hooper

Fletcher

Forestieri

Only problem in that team, would be the impact of Hooper in that position, on his own game & the balance, set up and dynamic of the team.

Maybe he'll not play Hooper, play Forestieri up top with Fletcher & play four across midfield of: Wallace, Abdi, Lee & Bannan.

Oh, the options though....

Edited by BRADDAZ

4 hours ago, Bez said:

Too attacking. You can't ignore the defensive side of the game. 

Im sure no-one, especially Carlos, is ignoring the defence.

However, you do have to play to your strengths, and at present ours is certainly not our defence.

Our attack will be some combo of Hooper, Fletcher and FF. That's top two standard.

Our midfield will be some combo of FF, Lee, Abdi, Bannan and Wallace. Again, top two standard.

Hunt, Lees, Hutch, Loovens, Pudil is not a top two defence (though Westy helps) given the likely injury frequency of two of them.

We should play to our strengths, rather than throw defensive numbers onto the field. And of course we need a CB.

Lees & Hutchinson are a very, very good centre back pairing for this division. I'd argue one of the best in the league.

We all know how good Lees is at CB...

Hutchinson looks superb in that position whenever i've seen him. Got all the defensive qualities, such as your heading & tackling etc. but he also has a little bit of pace and his reading & understanding of the game is brilliant and the main asset to his game. 

With Westwood behind them too....

That's a very, very solid base to a team.

1 minute ago, BRADDAZ said:

Lees & Hutchinson are a very, very good centre back pairing for this division. I'd argue one of the best in the league.

We all know how good Lees is at CB...

Hutchinson looks superb in that position whenever i've seen him. Got all the defensive qualities, such as your heading & tackling etc. but he also has a little bit of pace and his reading & understanding of the game is brilliant and the main asset to his game. 

With Westwood behind them too....

That's a very, very solid base to a team.

Not many would argue. It's just that sadly he will play one miss one, play two miss three etc...That's no way to build a defensive platform.

He has the shirt for the Villa game unless he is injured. We might get a huge surprise and he stays fit for a good while. Hope so.

5 hours ago, TrueOwl said:

Not what i'd pick but I reckon this is probably how we will line-up against Villa given that Abdi has played RM last season;

Westwood
Pudil   Lees   Hutchinson  Hunt
Forestieri  Bannan  Lee  Abdi
        Hooper    Fletcher

I think you mean...

Westwood
Hunt   Lees   Hutchinson  Pudil
Abdi  Bannan  Lee  Forestieri
        Hooper    Fletcher

It's what I'd go with. 

15 minutes ago, NIOwl said:

I think you mean...

Westwood
Hunt   Lees   Hutchinson  Pudil
Abdi  Bannan  Lee  Forestieri
        Hooper    Fletcher

It's what I'd go with. 

Bannan and Lee are the wrong way round mate :ph34r:lol

"I didn't always play in my right position. I like to play in the middle but I played a lot on the right hand side last year.
Watford couldn't tell me I would play in my right position this year so I was looking for something else and I think Sheffield
Wednesday are a perfect solution." - Almen Abdi

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-almen-abdi-snubbed-offers-from-other-clubs-to-join-owls-1-8040177

He'll play where he is told but assuming we will be playing 442 against Villa if he does play centrally as a playmaker as Watford fans prescribe partnering Lee presumably that would be at the expense of Bannan with Nando on the left & Wallace on the right?

Edited by TrueOwl

7 minutes ago, TrueOwl said:

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-almen-abdi-snubbed-offers-from-other-clubs-to-join-owls-1-8040177

He'll play where he is told but assuming we will be playing 442 against Villa if he does play centrally as a playmaker as Watford fans prescribe partnering Lee presumably that would be at the expense of Bannan with Nando on the left & Wallace on the right?

That would suggest he got assurances from Carlos that he will be a CM.

Bannan Abdi Lee in a 433

FF Bannan Abdi Lee in a 442

I can't see Wallace starting v Villa. 

Lee is an outstanding footballer and athlete. I think he can make a success of most positions on the field, and certainly wider right.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

It will be interesting to see how we accommodate Abdi The Lee/Bannan axis was central to how we played last season

I agree, but the thought of FF, Lee, Bannan and Abdi playing together somehow across the field makes me feel great.

And then onto Hooper with Fletcher.......what a front six.

28 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I agree, but the thought of FF, Lee, Bannan and Abdi playing together somehow across the field makes me feel great.

And then onto Hooper with Fletcher.......what a front six.

Yes, I wouldn't be surprised if Wallace was the one to miss out, unless we play Forestieri up top with Fletcher

30 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

That would suggest he got assurances from Carlos that he will be a CM.

Bannan Abdi Lee in a 433

FF Bannan Abdi Lee in a 442

I can't see Wallace starting v Villa. 

Lee is an outstanding footballer and athlete. I think he can make a success of most positions on the field, and certainly wider right.

Would be worth a shot. I'm a little concerned about his perceived lack of pace from Watford fans so I think we'll find that we'll still need Lee in the middle for his defensive work-rate. Maybe Carlos can sell Abdi on the idea of playing right mid when we occasionally play 442 at home provided we promise him a role in his favoured position more often than not away from home and in big games. If he can keep Hooper out of the side and force a change of formation all credit to him. 

Edited by TrueOwl

32 minutes ago, TrueOwl said:

Would be worth a shot. I'm a little concerned about his perceived lack of pace from Watford fans so I think we'll find that we'll still need Lee in the middle for his defensive work-rate. Maybe Carlos can sell Abdi on the idea of playing right mid when we occasionally play 442 at home provided we promise him a role in his favoured position more often than not away from home and in big games. If he can keep Hooper out of the side and force a change of formation all credit to him. 

Personally I hope and believe Hooper will start in every game unless injured.

The more he plays, the higher we will finish. We have so many goals in the side, with Hooper,Fletcher,FF, Abdi and Lee. And a midfield packed with energy.