C.D. Nacional vs The Owls. Official Matchday Thread.

i8EL56l.png          BJyDHtd.png

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

At the beginning of the 20th century, António Ascensão Figueira invented a light, fluffy cake that would be lovely with a nice cup of tea and a sit down. He named it Madeira, after the island that he lived on. The cake was so popular that he quickly became a very wealthy man. 

ljpyVWR.jpg

It was so popular that everyone just ate it all the time with a nice cup of tea. Due to all the sitting down though, nothing ever got done. The crops in the field were going to seed and unattended office paperwork was piling up high. The population were rapidly becoming overweight too. The prime minister was forced to intervene and the Madeira cake was banned.

WkmL8Ff.png

Figueira was perplexed but soon realised that the only people on the island who had any level of fitness were his bakers. He did what is expected of multi millionaires and formed a football team. He also soon realised that his football team had no opposites because everyone else was a fatty. He phoned the king of Portugal to see if they could play against their teams. Luckily for him, the king agreed. The recipe for the Madeira cake was sold to the Tesco supermarket chain in England.

Ubk70sK.jpg

And that’s how we come to be playing them today!

IMPORTANT THINGS THAT YOU NEED TO KNOW

Venue: Estádio Municipal de Albufeira.

Kick Off: Sunday the 24th of July at 20:00.

Matchday Apparel: The new home shirt!

Matchday Drink: Training round three of the 16 Pint Challenge, so lots of Super Bock Abadia.

Matchday Ice Cream: Florenca.

Matchday Song: Some funky reggae sounds from Portugal. “Come As You Are” by Cool Hipnoise…

MATCHDAY FACTS

Tickets are priced at 10 Euros on the day of the game with no advance sale.

18BXvmK.png Head To Head V1LHByE.png

I can find no records of us ever playing against Nacional so this is a most auspicious occasion.

KING CARLOS’ WORDS OF WISDOM

“Benfica are one of the best teams in Europe. We knew our defensive organisation had to be very good and I think we did very well. Our offensive organisation and the transition when we didn’t have the ball was also very good. Defending and attacking is down to the whole team and you can see that we look like a team.” 

49ur1uU.jpg

We won’t take too much sensation away from this game. If you tell me we will beat Aston Villa in the first game, then we will take more confidence from that. It was a friendly and a good chance to see where we are at and what we can do. A lot of people support Benfica, they are an international team. It is good for the club that a lot of people will know Sheffield Wednesday because of this game. 

However, for us as a team, it is probobobarbly another step in our process.”

MINTYNESS

Tay-Tay and Giant Shadow Llama will be in attendance. 

MxfPUFN.gif

THIS WEEK”S MATCHDAY THREAD EXTRA CONTENT

New smileys! You have to copy and paste them from here until site gaffer puts them on properly...

Y5fVRdN.png       Md6R2Gk.png 

3 hours ago, Kalamunda said:

Brilliant Pauli. I like Madeira cake with lemon icing and Madeira wine with a little spicing. Today's result will be a two one win to the Owls. Bannan and Forestieri. Onwards and upwards. Etc.

That started reading like a poem then fizzled out. 

A interesting friendly. It's fascinating to see us up against European opposition, even if it's just in friendlies. Hopefully we'll avoid injuries and put in another impressive team performance like the one against Benfica.

It should be a good day for Matias and Joao, hopefully they'll play well and get on the scoresheet against their former club.

I'll be fascinated to see their number 7 in action against us, the impressive Salvador Agra, he's one to keep an eye on. He might be worth signing this summer or in the future. Even though to be honest, I'm hoping we mostly bring in domestic based players this summer.