Hutch At The Back

Guest Kagoshimaowl

We do need a CB but I'm happy for a loan or experienced player as cover.  Lees, Hit h and Loovens when fit are all great.  Spend our money on a midfielder winger and lb

Hutch is a quality CB, reads the game well and as a result positioning is superb. With Loovens injured we still need cover and competition for places, although I still think that left back is the key area of defence for recruitment. Palmer will always give his all, but isn't a natural left sided player and certainly doesn't have the quality, experience and composure that Pudil brings, all of which helps the central defenders. We need him back asap!

If we can keep Tom Lees and Hutch fit all season and playing together then we have a very good chance of making the bigger step this season.

For that to happen Carlos must wrap Hutch in cotton wool. That means no midweek games and no cup games.

This is a fantastic combination, Hutch looks very accomplished at the back as does not appear to dive in and make his rash challenges in that position which should save him from the dreaded Red card and hurting his knee.

We need some good back up but if we can keep these guys fit they will be the best CB's in the league.

Did anyone else notice him pull up and start limping badly just before half-time against Benfica? Was amazed he came out for the second half, so it must have been a cramp or something minor. Just goes to show how vulnerable we are currently in that position, but i do think he could be a legend for us there....if he stays fit (oh yes and on the pitch)

1 hour ago, S_W_F_C said:

I'd be happy enough to bring Sasso back as 4th choice. Cheap option and capable enough of filling in.

Funds need allocating to a midfielder and a winger.

Me too.  Like others have said if we consider Hutch as a CB we have three quality players for that position already.  We could bring in a 4th as cover which could be a loan, like Sasso, thus saving up to 5 million to use elsewhere.

15 hours ago, F. Spiksley said:

Something I also think.  We have got so much out of Hitch so far, I am grateful we've had the benefit,  considering he was at point of retiring it's a great effort from him and his circle of support. Yes, I've also knocked him for the rash cards he's accumulated - that's his head not his injuries - but by god he's been vital at times.

However, I can't see him being a regular CB even for cover. Politely disagree with those who do.

Happy to see him stay in that deep midfield role when he plays. A huge ability when he's on his game.

Eh? Have you seen any of his performances in CB? He looks like he has been playing there all his life. Makes it look easy.

I think it actually suits him well. He doesn't have to run so much at CB, compared to midfield, so it'll be easier on his legs. And he's certainly a lot more disciplined playing there, maybe because positionally he's more restricted, he doesn't go chasing around all over the field, sliding in on people or tripping them as he's chasing them towards our defensive line. So yeah.. CB seems to suit him.

Edited by cookeh

Hutchinson always plays well at centre-back, but we need a quality one alongside Lees who doesn't spend half the season on the treatment table. We can't just keep crossing our fingers hoping that one of Loovens and Hutchinson happens to be fit - we got away with it last season because of Sasso, but we might not this time.

Interesting to hear the comments from Carlos, that it was always the plan for Sam to become a centre back. I wonder where Sam Hutchinson prefers to play. I can see a switch to the back four would make a lot of sense. It will also be interesting to see where Carlos uses Forestieri. He's said he likes him more involved in the central areas, and the player himself prefers a striking role, as opposed to being stuck out wide. 

16 hours ago, I Love Sturrock said:

Hutchinson always plays well at centre-back, but we need a quality one alongside Lees who doesn't spend half the season on the treatment table. We can't just keep crossing our fingers hoping that one of Loovens and Hutchinson happens to be fit - we got away with it last season because of Sasso, but we might not this time.

Good point.

Lasr season we had Sasso, Turner, Lees, Loovens and Hutch. This year we have only the last 3, one of whom is out until September.

34 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Interesting to hear the comments from Carlos, that it was always the plan for Sam to become a centre back. I wonder where Sam Hutchinson prefers to play. I can see a switch to the back four would make a lot of sense. It will also be interesting to see where Carlos uses Forestieri. He's said he likes him more involved in the central areas, and the player himself prefers a striking role, as opposed to being stuck out wide. 

The fact that these stories appear so regularly after my posts on here are purely coincidental, honest.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-sam-hutchinson-at-centre-half-was-always-the-plan-for-carlos-carvalhal-1-8029900

11 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

The fact that these stories appear so regularly after my posts on here are purely coincidental, honest.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-sam-hutchinson-at-centre-half-was-always-the-plan-for-carlos-carvalhal-1-8029900

In the very short interview Carlos says Hutch will be CB six times.

At the end of the interview the reporter should have asked "Carlos, just one final question. Could you clarify where you will play Hutch this season?"

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

In the very short interview Carlos says Hutch will be CB six times.

At the end of the interview the reporter should have asked "Carlos, just one final question. Could you clarify where you will play Hutch this season?"

But you just know he'll start up front alongside Nuhiu now.

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

But you just know he'll start up front alongside Nuhiu now.

Not unless Hodgson takes over.

Hodgson's first team sheet as Owls manager

Westwood

Nuhiu Bannan Wallace Lee

Hooper Fletcher Palmer Hunt Lees

Hutchinson

Sub Forestieri