Hutch At The Back

I love the way his hair....ahem, I meant to say I love the way he comes out and tackles in midfield, doesn't give up chasing a player down.  There didn't seem to be anyone covering the gap he left though, as he does that himself, if he's playing in midfield! 

He is a quality centre half, he might turn out to be our best.

The obvious issue is his injury record but he will probably get injured less at centre half than in midfield.

The other issue I have is that we were too often exposed in the air last season for my liking.  We sometimes looked a soft touch from set pieces.

Therefore, if Lees and Hutch play together we probably need some aerial strength at left back and centre midfield.  I know Barcelona don't but nobody can get the ball off them.

17 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

Still need another centre back 

But not at 5 million quid.

Back up cheapo centre half required. Some young lad with porehtial from the clogging leagues.

Spend the cash on more pressing priorities.

Continuing to spend, but wisely, is the key.

Edited by theowlsman

31 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

He is a quality centre half, he might turn out to be our best.

The obvious issue is his injury record but he will probably get injured less at centre half than in midfield.

The other issue I have is that we were too often exposed in the air last season for my liking.  We sometimes looked a soft touch from set pieces.

Therefore, if Lees and Hutch play together we probably need some aerial strength at left back and centre midfield.  I know Barcelona don't but nobody can get the ball off them.

Really? Hutch was heading everything away from free kicks and corners last night.

2 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

Really? Hutch was heading everything away from free kicks and corners last night.

I appreciate that but the aerial threat from the average Championship club will be a lot greater than that posed by Benfica.

Aston Villa are unlikely to be the most physical team we play but using them as an example we could be up against Gestede, Richards, Elphick and  Okore.

Fletcher, Lees and Hutch will take three of them, not sure on the other.  Often last season we had Lopez marking somebody who was a genuine aerial threat from corners.

I wasn't really criticising Hutch but if you play Hutch at centre half it takes away somebody who is competent aerially from midfield.  Plus, I don't think Hutch and Lees are totally dominant in the air - for instance I would be worried about them against Gestede.  Whereas, back in day lol I was never worried about the opposition strikers in the air against Pearson.

Hutch is our best centre back at the club even if we sign another if hutch is fit he plays. That bizzarly puts the unstoppable Tom less position at threat if we sign a world beater in that position.

oh what a great position to be in.

either way if we go and sign a centre back which improves a first team we are going to have one hell of a defender on our bench 

another class showing from 2 great centre halves, Hutchinson was a centre half converted to midfield he needs to go back to playing there.

with his distribution we might be able to keep Bannan further forward.

Still need another centre half as well, be good if one of the kids stepped up to the plate

6 hours ago, theowlsman said:

Thought he looked class and assured.

Who needs Hanley, some random Scottish defender, or anyone else. Hutch is fine as cover for Loovens ta. Or vice versa!

Spend the dosh on a good, tricky, pacy, creative, winger / crosser.

Hutch was very solid last night, looked unflappable and quick to any danger. Reads developing attacks really well.

He was limping badly right on half-time, feared the worst – great to see him back out for the second. I *so* hope he manages a relatively injury-free season this year, both for us and just because he flippin' deserves it.

Edited by Mr. Tom

I think Loovens and Lees were a rock, but one issue I had with them was our desperately slow tempo from Loovens walking the ball out and passing it across and back.

I much prefer it when Bannan comes back for it and starts to work us up the field. 

10 hours ago, S_W_F_C said:

Some may say controversial but for me he's even better than Lees at centre back

Is definitely better on the ball and we know he is comfortable playing the ball out of defence. I said a few months back that we already have a ready made replacement for loovens in hutch. We also probably have a ready made replacement for the midfield role hutch played last season in melo. Still think we need another CB but dont think we need to spend big money on one. Maybe we can pick one up on loan and spend a bit more on a fast tricky winger

7 hours ago, fife_owl said:

If it wasn't for injuries he'd be Chelsea's first choice CB.

Something I also think.  We have got so much out of Hitch so far, I am grateful we've had the benefit,  considering he was at point of retiring it's a great effort from him and his circle of support. Yes, I've also knocked him for the rash cards he's accumulated - that's his head not his injuries - but by god he's been vital at times.

However, I can't see him being a regular CB even for cover. Politely disagree with those who do.

Happy to see him stay in that deep midfield role when he plays. A huge ability when he's on his game.

Sounds odd to say it about a centre back, but I really enjoyed watching him play there last night.

won everything in the air, anticipated brilliantly, was assured, brought the ball out with confidence and is aggressive at the right times back there.

Why would CC move him out of that position now?

Hutchinson will make an excellent centre back, and will be good competition for Lees, but not as a partner, I'm afraid. On the odd occasion, yes, but as was said, most championship sides will provide a sterner aerial test, then Benfica did. Neither Lees, nor Hutchinson, are dominant in the air, hence our pursuit of Hanley. Using Barcelona as an example is pushing it a bit, and it's a myth anyway, Pique is 6-4, and they also have, perhaps the best defensive midfield shield in the world, Busquets, who himself, is 6-2