CC has made his recommendations

3 minutes ago, Tommo_SWFC said:

He's also come out and said he and his staff know what players he wants to bring in and are waiting for negotiations to progress.

Like he said. It isn't as easy as buying lemons from a market

Not disagreeing with you mate, just saying that it's frustrating as it's been clear for weeks where there are shortages yet we haven't got people over the line yet. Absolutely no criticism of CC or his team, they seem to be right on the money, it's just annoying that negotiations seem to take a long time.

Still, if they get done and the hardball approach works, one can hardly complain!

The issue comes if it gets to the stage where it's the 1st of August and we still don't have a recognised left back at the club and two centre backs. If it gets to that stage, it's just poor. Shouldn't do so though! ... :ph34r:

29 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Eh??

are you seriously suggesting we've decided not to strengthen because we've already decided we've no chance of finishing in the top 3?

No, not at all, just that there might have been a change of emphasis, as regards the level of spending

31 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

So what are we waiting for? The supposed favourites to get promoted before we invest substantially in the team?

No, and it's a situation that will probably get worse. It's just a theory, but spending the sort of money, say that Boro spent last season, might not actually improve our chances that much. The bar has been raised massively. We have good players already, and a great coach, so with some strategic, low cost additions, we could still challenge for the play offs

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, Owl999 said:

Why are people assuming that that signings havnt been made but not unveiled yet ? Owls in the Park  tomorrow, just wait and see .

Done deals would inevitably be leaked. They couldn't even conceal the kit night before release. Always gets out somehow. 

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

If we sign Pudil and another centre back were about back to where we were last season.

That team will not be top 6 in this league in my opinion 

You're saying Fletcher is no better than Nuhiu then?

1 minute ago, S_W_F_C said:

If we sign Pudil and another centre back were about back to where we were last season.

So if we get back to where we were last season then who's strengthened sufficiently enough to take our place in the top 6? And that's even with the 3 relegated prem sides in the top 6 which isn't necessarily a given especially villa.

29 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

I think they could be. The bulk of the squad will have been together a while, and if we can get off to a better start, we should be capable of a top six place. Know what you mean though, but it's hard to see where we could make the sort of signings that would radically enhance our chances. To be fair, Carlos always said it would be fine tuning

6 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Get what you're saying but if we sign Pudil and Dunk or Hanley then we will be better than last season, especially with Joao and Matias hopefully improving and having our A team for the first 8 games which we didn't have last season 

but im hoping for the above plus a special wide midfielder and defensive midfielder to come in for us to be really amazing

Edited by Southie_Owl

4 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

We're stating that Hutch is now a centre back by our own preference.

That leaves us with a central midfield of Lee, Bannan or Melo (I assume Mcgugan won't be in the reckoning). No additions to the wings so far

So we sign one centre back (say Hanley) and Pudil. 

That means Helan our back up left back (nowhere near good enough) and no muscle in the midfield.

Not top 6 for me, just my opinion

Regretably I have to agree with you

If we treat Hutch as a centre back, then we have to say that midfield is appallingly light in terms of personel as things currently stand. Injury to one of those you've listed is crippling. Even treating Hutch as a defensive midfielder we just haven't got enough CMs. Obviously it's very easily fixable, sign one- maybe two decent midfielders and the problem disappears... but as things currently stand having 3 or 4 (if you include Hutch) CMs, two of which have poor injury records over the last 18 months, is not good

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

We're stating that Hutch is now a centre back by our own preference.

That leaves us with a central midfield of Lee, Bannan or Melo (I assume Mcgugan won't be in the reckoning). No additions to the wings so far

So we sign one centre back (say Hanley) and Pudil. 

That means Helan our back up left back (nowhere near good enough) and no muscle in the midfield.

Not top 6 for me, just my opinion

You speak as though a LB and CB will be the extent of our further recruitment. Unlikely that will be the case. Be patient. 

As Wily says, you'd have to agree that Fletcher is an upgrade on Nuhiu. If we can make a similar upgrade in central defence, specifically someone who is dominant in the air, then that's two key areas we've strengthened. Sadly, I think I'll have to admit defeat on the 4-3-3 set up, and acknowledge that we probably won't be bringing in a midfield enforcer. We will probably give ourselves a bit of cover in this area though, by adding another all action type, similar to Bannan and Lee. One of the other problems last season, was a lack of pace in the side. Fletcher doesn't remedy that, so I would see a quick winger, rather than another Wallace type, enabling us to get up the field a bit quicker. The last two signings, will probably be loans, and maybe wouldn't be with us until the end of August. So looking at that, the only place we could spend a bit of money, and that's not a given, is on a centre back. I know it's not everyone's idea of where the money should be spent, but I can't see the need to splash out on any attacking position

Guest wilyfox

Pearson is assessing Derby's squad first, sounds as though Brighton are into Russell Martin of Norwich, having already signed Glenn Murray on loan.