If Carlos was the England manager

Barely any of that team deserve to play for our country, I don't think they understand what it means to play for your country. I'd flipping give up body parts to play for wednesday and england.

I really can't think of a team made up of England players that could do anything. 

Lallana should have started as should Vardy. Drinkwater should have gone to the tournament, he was a mainstay in the team that won the league for roger sake. 

England manager is literally a poison chalice. Who ever takes it will struggle. I mean Sven did alright and was a class manager at the time, then capello who failed, keegan failed, Hodgson who isn't a bad manager has failed. The problem is so deep within the actual system and it goes from grass roots right up to the top. 

Whenever I see people getting excited about england and talking up our chances I just shake my head and think "your a fool". 

14 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

What team would you have put out?

To directly answer your question though we haven't had enough good english players ourselves in the last 15 years to field a good enough team. If our first 11 from the majority of last season was English though we would have beaten Iceland and at least you'd get 100% effort from all the games. 

I take your point completely. I was wondering if Carlos was managing a Wednesday team to win the euros with the playing roster of the last fifteen years. How do you think he would have done it? Nationality aside. I didn't put it very well at first.

16 minutes ago, mozzy85 said:

Barely any of that team deserve to play for our country, I don't think they understand what it means to play for your country. I'd flipping give up body parts to play for wednesday and england.

I really can't think of a team made up of England players that could do anything. 

Lallana should have started as should Vardy. Drinkwater should have gone to the tournament, he was a mainstay in the team that won the league for roger sake. 

England manager is literally a poison chalice. Who ever takes it will struggle. I mean Sven did alright and was a class manager at the time, then capello who failed, keegan failed, Hodgson who isn't a bad manager has failed. The problem is so deep within the actual system and it goes from grass roots right up to the top. 

Whenever I see people getting excited about england and talking up our chances I just shake my head and think "your a fool". 

The players that we took to Euro 2016 were good enough to win the tournament, no problems.  I'll grant you a few of the selections were baffling, Sterling, Wilshere, no Townsend, no Drinkwater, but still the players were all good enough.  

Someone said on a thread last week, the team with the best players wins 90% of the time.  I replied that I wouldn't like Wednesday to go into a match against better opposition with only a 10% chance of winning.  Tactics, systems, motivation, ability, commitment, desire, courage and adaptability help you swing that 10% to nearer 50%.  England lacked the tactics, the system, the courage and adaptability last night and generally have done for numerous tournaments. As discussed in the non-SWFC threads, the tactical ineptitude and the failure to find and implement a system in the previous 2 years was obvious.  I don't believe the players lacked motivation or desire and comittment, but where we continually lack is courage and adaptability.  Courage to stretch the boundaries of play and create space, courage to try something capable of opening up the opposition.  Mostly though, we lack adaptability.  No plan survives first contact and time after time our players don't have the courage to alter the game plan and find a solution, and that comes from leadership.  Wayne Rooney as captain, don't make me laugh.  I wouldn't follow the man into a shop, let alone over the white line.  Uncle fuzzy Roy, running the show, no tactical diversity, not even sure what system to play before we got there.  10 years ago we were told England didn't hold onto the ball like continental teams, no possession.  We absolutely dominated all 4 games we played, but I quote Pep Guardiola,

“You have to pass the ball with a clear intention, with the aim of making it into the opposition's goal. It's not about passing for the sake of it." 

They all deserve to play for their country, if you think any of them pull on their kit with a couldn't care less attitude, you underestimate the modern professional sportsman/woman.  At the very least no one wants to look like a complete harris in front of fellow professionals and the nation he or she represents.

If Carlos was England manager, we would fulfill most, if not all of the characteristics noted above, and that would be an improvement.

29 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I take your point completely. I was wondering if Carlos was managing a Wednesday team to win the euros with the playing roster of the last fifteen years. How do you think he would have done it? Nationality aside. I didn't put it very well at first.

I think we could have got to the quarters with the team from last season. Add players like Brunt, Whelan and Bougherra and we'd have been even stronger. The advantage of course is that we play week in week out as a team where as international teams don't have that. But that is no excuse for that performance from England last night. 

1 minute ago, mozzy85 said:

I think we could have got to the quarters with the team from last season. Add players like Brunt, Whelan and Bougherra and we'd have been even stronger. The advantage of course is that we play week in week out as a team where as international teams don't have that. But that is no excuse for that performance from England last night. 

I know. It stings. 

7 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

The players that we took to Euro 2016 were good enough to win the tournament, no problems.  I'll grant you a few of the selections were baffling, Sterling, Wilshere, no Townsend, no Drinkwater, but still the players were all good enough.  

Someone said on a thread last week, the team with the best players wins 90% of the time.  I replied that I wouldn't like Wednesday to go into a match against better opposition with only a 10% chance of winning.  Tactics, systems, motivation, ability, commitment, desire, courage and adaptability help you swing that 10% to nearer 50%.  England lacked the tactics, the system, the courage and adaptability last night and generally have done for numerous tournaments. As discussed in the non-SWFC threads, the tactical ineptitude and the failure to find and implement a system in the previous 2 years was obvious.  I don't believe the players lacked motivation or desire and comittment, but where we continually lack is courage and adaptability.  Courage to stretch the boundaries of play and create space, courage to try something capable of opening up the opposition.  Mostly though, we lack adaptability.  No plan survives first contact and time after time our players don't have the courage to alter the game plan and find a solution, and that comes from leadership.  Wayne Rooney as captain, don't make me laugh.  I wouldn't follow the man into a shop, let alone over the white line.  Uncle fuzzy Roy, running the show, no tactical diversity, not even sure what system to play before we got there.  10 years ago we were told England didn't hold onto the ball like continental teams, no possession.  We absolutely dominated all 4 games we played, but I quote Pep Guardiola,

“You have to pass the ball with a clear intention, with the aim of making it into the opposition's goal. It's not about passing for the sake of it." 

They all deserve to play for their country, if you think any of them pull on their kit with a couldn't care less attitude, you underestimate the modern professional sportsman/woman.  At the very least no one wants to look like a complete harris in front of fellow professionals and the nation he or she represents.

If Carlos was England manager, we would fulfill most, if not all of the characteristics noted above, and that would be an improvement.

Those players should be good enough but they just don't play as a team. Where's the fight, where were our leaders, where was the creativity and courage as you say to break down a resolute defense.  

We need players like Adams, pearce, campbell, ferdinand, scholes, beckham, shearer, sheringham, ince. All these had ability but more importantly showed leadership qualities and gusto. 

Literally watching that performance last night disgusted me. Too think thats the best we have as a nation where the No 1 sport is football is appalling. 

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

A Wednesday team from the last 15 years to win the Euros? When by far the best team we've had in the last 15 years finished sixth in the Championship?

:columbo:

Would you have had a bet on Iceland (theoretically) to beat us in our pomp last season?

Id sooner have Pressman in than Hart.

Des Walker at his best was better than any England defender last night.

Andy Hinchcliffe would have put our free kick takers to shame. 

Connor Wickham would surely have done better than Kane.

Michael Gray in his prime. 

Ross Barkley

Benik Afobe

Michail Antonio

There's a bit of choice.

at their respective primes this team would have done better than that shambles last night.

Pressman

Marshall Lees Walker Hinchcliffe

Barkley C Palmer  Lee

Afobe Wickham Antonio

bench

grant holt

carson

Steve Watson

michael gray

4 minutes ago, CrosbyKitchens said:

Id sooner have Pressman in than Hart.

Des Walker at his best was better than any England defender last night.

Andy Hinchcliffe would have put our free kick takers to shame. 

Connor Wickham would surely have done better than Kane.

Michael Gray in his prime. 

Ross Barkley

Benik Afobe

Michail Antonio

There's a bit of choice.

at their respective primes this team would have done better than that shambles last night.

Pressman

Marshall Lees Walker Hinchcliffe

Barkley C Palmer  Lee

Afobe Wickham Antonio

bench

grant holt

carson

Steve Watson

michael gray

Wicked line up. Do you want the England job?