If Carlos was the England manager

5 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

I don't if I should laugh or cry , the vast majority of the last 15 years have been terrible , yet we have had some decent players , the problem being we rarely had them in their prime . 

The one player I forgot to add was Wim Jonk , 1st season was ok , second season couldn't be arsed on the pitch , 3rd season just couldn't be arsed and was "injured " obviously didn't fancy second tier football.

My memory is hazy, didn't Jonk retire in the summer between getting relegated and our first season down so we only had him for two seasons?

Just now, stowyowl said:

My memory is hazy, didn't Jonk retire in the summer between getting relegated and our first season down so we only had him for two seasons?

My memory is too , I always thought he stayed the third year and picked up his wages and officially retired and the end of his contract . I'm sure somebody will put us right 

1 minute ago, elyowl1 said:

My memory is too , I always thought he stayed the third year and picked up his wages and officially retired and the end of his contract . I'm sure somebody will put us right 

You might be right, I do remember him sat out for a long time picking up his "appearance fee".

21 hours ago, mozzy85 said:

Barely any of that team deserve to play for our country, I don't think they understand what it means to play for your country. I'd flipping give up body parts to play for wednesday and england.

I really can't think of a team made up of England players that could do anything. 

Lallana should have started as should Vardy. Drinkwater should have gone to the tournament, he was a mainstay in the team that won the league for roger sake. 

England manager is literally a poison chalice. Who ever takes it will struggle. I mean Sven did alright and was a class manager at the time, then capello who failed, keegan failed, Hodgson who isn't a bad manager has failed. The problem is so deep within the actual system and it goes from grass roots right up to the top. 

Whenever I see people getting excited about england and talking up our chances I just shake my head and think "your a fool". 

The irony. 

lol

22 hours ago, mozzy85 said:

Barely any of that team deserve to play for our country, I don't think they understand what it means to play for your country. I'd flipping give up body parts to play for wednesday and england.

I really can't think of a team made up of England players that could do anything. 

Lallana should have started as should Vardy. Drinkwater should have gone to the tournament, he was a mainstay in the team that won the league for roger sake. 

England manager is literally a poison chalice. Who ever takes it will struggle. I mean Sven did alright and was a class manager at the time, then capello who failed, keegan failed, Hodgson who isn't a bad manager has failed. The problem is so deep within the actual system and it goes from grass roots right up to the top. 

Whenever I see people getting excited about england and talking up our chances I just shake my head and think "your a fool". 

hodgson's an old man with old idea's...

it needs a younger man, but first spring clean the old farts out at the fa...

then we need to play to our strengths...

iceland, and wales have played 'a british' type game, and gone further than us...

northern ireland have played 'a british' style game and fared better than us...

we've re-tried our brazilian/spanish hybrid of SLOW tippytap build up...

and again been found woefully lacking yet again having never looking comfortable or our best...

a non too great italian side took on and 'despatched' the masters of tippytap by playing to their 'national' strengths of rock solid defending, solid aggressive midfield, and a swift attack...

too many lightweights and fancy dans in our m/f, who can't control a football well enough to pass international scrutiny...

as for the 'little lad' he'll need to concentrate on which club he'll be at next years end...

and IF that's our best keeper, we may as well go 'goalie when needed'... :tango:

9 minutes ago, dnhc said:

iceland, and wales have played 'a british' type game, and gone further than us...

and again been found woefully lacking yet again having never looking comfortable or our best...

a non too great italian side took on and 'despatched' the masters of tippytap by playing to their 'national' strengths of rock solid defending, solid aggressive midfield, and a swift attack...

too many lightweights and fancy dans in our m/f, who can't control a football well enough to pass international scrutiny...

as for the 'little lad' he'll need to concentrate on which club he'll be at next years end...

and IF that's our best keeper, we may as well go 'goalie when needed'... :tango:

That should get my maiden op above even the pinned ones.... cheers !

1 hour ago, dnhc said:

On the money for me. 

I don't know much about his sides over that time but looking at his tenure at SWFC over the last year from the current crop of England 'talent' the closest approximation to his 442 Wednesday side - i'm not entirely sure but I reckon he would drop Rooney and Wilshire because he would recognise that they doesn't have the correct attributes to play in a midfield two.

Hart

Rose Smalling Jagielka Walker

Townsend Dier Barkley Zaha

Kane Vardy