Ross Wallace

55 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If we are genuinely in for Adam Reach (passed a Borough mate this evening who says we are) then I suppose it must be to replace Wallace in the starting line-up.

Adam Reach is primarily a left winger, so doubt he'd be competing with RW for a place?

I thought he was decent last season, hard working and came up with a few assists and goals. 

Personally i think we should keep him but he is very replaceable and I'd be suprised if he is much more than a squad player next season. 

He is a good player as I think wilyfox says. I love players who shoot on sight. He's got a nice trick to get inside the defending player. There's no point in mentioning his delivery ( because we don't swarm into the box)  Two things he does poorly is pressing and passing to his wing back. Hunt has been on the end of a lot of impossible out balls from Wallace this season. And he's made out that Hunt's the culprit. Gesturing, shouting and so on.

2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Ross Wallace- vital goals and assists sprinkled throughout the season. A big part of a successful side= not good enough.

Marco Mattias- one wonder strike and not a lot else = the second coming.

Some right muppets on here.

Owlstalk summed up in 1 post. 

What are some of you lot smoking? We knew what we were getting when we signed him.

A consistently good, decent crosser of the ball. At least he can beat the first man, which many cannot do at a higher level. 

9 hours ago, Holmowl said:

In the last 7 games he played, the team scored 7. He scored 5 of them. (If you count the Bristol free kick via their goalies head, and his deflected goal v Blackburn).

His delivery did deteriorate second half of the season, but it was made to look awful by having no-one attacking the six yard box.

Compared to most wingers he is very consistent. Perfectly happy if he starts 7th August, but he could be improved upon too.

I think he could too. People on here have probably forgotten Brian marwood. 

8 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

I think he could too. People on here have probably forgotten Brian marwood. 

Interesting you bring up Marwood. Similar is several respects to Wallace in my opinion and in my failing memory.

When Marwood came from Hull he could beat a man then cross the ball like a god. But quite quickly he lost the ability to go past his man, but if allowed any space he could always put in devastating crosses. His scoring record for us was better than Ross, but not massively so. They both scored similar types of goal, with wonderful shooting ability.

We bought Chamberlain who was the polar opposite. He would bamboozle full-backs with trickery and speed, but sadly his end product was lousy.

consistent wingers who have "everything" are as rare as hens teeth. Look at Sterling, Townsend, Anya, Lennon etc...on their day amazing, but it's rarely their day.

Wallace had 46 games for us last year. That means his consistency and reliability must have delighted Carlos. Of course he had some poor games, but in 46 matches you are going to have the odd stinker.

I also think that he and Hunt were one of our strongest attacking assets, and that if Hunt's end product had been better we would be raving about their partnership. They worked superbly together, creating overlap after overlap, but sadly no goals, no assists and too few completed crosses from Hunt meant that their threat disappointed.

I have no problem if it's Wallace again. And if Hunt can develop better decision making these two could be very special for us next season.

5 hours ago, themaskedowl said:

I'm genuinely concerned for people who have a problem with Ross Wallace being in our squad. Not really sure what they're expecting. If we can bring in better then I'm sure we will, but he is very capable at this level.

The vast majority in this thread are happy with Ross being in the squad. Just as a squad option rather than automatic first choice.

Lets face it, DC is on the record many times that he is targeting promotion this year. Would Wallace be a first choice player on any of the 3 teams that went up this year? No. One of the teams that went up actually released him so we could sign him!

54 minutes ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

The vast majority in this thread are happy with Ross being in the squad. Just as a squad option rather than automatic first choice.

Lets face it, DC is on the record many times that he is targeting promotion this year. Would Wallace be a first choice player on any of the 3 teams that went up this year? No. One of the teams that went up actually released him so we could sign him!

he was a squad option this year along with matias and sougou and he saw them off ...... i wouldnt bet against him seeing any new bloke off as well .....