Ross Wallace

2 hours ago, Last_Great_Hope said:

The vast majority in this thread are happy with Ross being in the squad. Just as a squad option rather than automatic first choice.

Lets face it, DC is on the record many times that he is targeting promotion this year. Would Wallace be a first choice player on any of the 3 teams that went up this year? No. One of the teams that went up actually released him so we could sign him!

I was referring to Heeley earlier in the thread.

Guest oz_owl
3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Interesting you bring up Marwood. Similar is several respects to Wallace in my opinion and in my failing memory.

When Marwood came from Hull he could beat a man then cross the ball like a god. But quite quickly he lost the ability to go past his man, but if allowed any space he could always put in devastating crosses. His scoring record for us was better than Ross, but not massively so. They both scored similar types of goal, with wonderful shooting ability.

It wasn't that he quickly lost the ability, he got a bad knee injury that took him a few months to return from.  He wasn't the same player after that, he'd lost a step and seemed to lack the confidence to take defenders on like he used to.

Arsenal used him differently to how he'd played for us - he used to whip crosses in much earlier, without trying to take men on as much.  Either himself, or through good coaching, he changed his style of play and it worked a treat.

16 minutes ago, oz_owl said:

It wasn't that he quickly lost the ability, he got a bad knee injury that took him a few months to return from.  He wasn't the same player after that, he'd lost a step and seemed to lack the confidence to take defenders on like he used to.

Arsenal used him differently to how he'd played for us - he used to whip crosses in much earlier, without trying to take men on as much.  Either himself, or through good coaching, he changed his style of play and it worked a treat.

Thanks mate. Can't recall the injury, but do recall him changing.

On 05/03/2016 at 20:04, Ronio said:

Isn't Wallace one of our top assist makers?

And the one who scored in both semi-finals to get us to wembley but sod that, aslong as we have the lord messiah marco matias we'll pi5s the league next year 

13 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Interesting you bring up Marwood. Similar is several respects to Wallace in my opinion and in my failing memory.

When Marwood came from Hull he could beat a man then cross the ball like a god. But quite quickly he lost the ability to go past his man, but if allowed any space he could always put in devastating crosses. His scoring record for us was better than Ross, but not massively so. They both scored similar types of goal, with wonderful shooting ability.

We bought Chamberlain who was the polar opposite. He would bamboozle full-backs with trickery and speed, but sadly his end product was lousy.

consistent wingers who have "everything" are as rare as hens teeth. Look at Sterling, Townsend, Anya, Lennon etc...on their day amazing, but it's rarely their day.

Wallace had 46 games for us last year. That means his consistency and reliability must have delighted Carlos. Of course he had some poor games, but in 46 matches you are going to have the odd stinker.

I also think that he and Hunt were one of our strongest attacking assets, and that if Hunt's end product had been better we would be raving about their partnership. They worked superbly together, creating overlap after overlap, but sadly no goals, no assists and too few completed crosses from Hunt meant that their threat disappointed.

I have no problem if it's Wallace again. And if Hunt can develop better decision making these two could be very special for us next season.

makes so much sense and Marwood was one of my favourite ever players

3 hours ago, Owl in Nottingham said:

makes so much sense and Marwood was one of my favourite ever players

Fully agree always felt he deserved more than the one England cap but the 80s were a different era and Sheff Wed players never got a call up