New Academy Boss - Dean Ramsdale

Sheffield Wednesday can confirm the appointment of Dean Ramsdale as the club’s new academy manager.

The North West product brings a wealth of experience to Middlewood Road with a 20-year background in football.

Ramsdale began his career with Burnley, where his role incorporated that of Head of the Under-9s – Under-11s Centre of Excellence and assistant coach to the Under-18s.

He also managed the Clarets’ Football in the Community Programme.

Dean then moved across the Pennines to Preston North End to take up the role of Director of Youth Development, where he produced and oversaw the club’s coaching philosophy and structure from the Under-9s – Under-18s before completing the EPPP Audit Tool for PNE.

A raft of academy youngsters graduated through to senior involvement at Deepdale under Ramsdale’s guidance – including current Owls winger Danny Mayor.

He also served as Preston’s assistant manager in the Championship alongside David Unsworth on a caretaker basis.

Ramsdale moved to Morecambe as Lead Coach in line with the EPPP and oversaw the Under-18s, Under-21s and 9s – 16s in the club’s Development Centre before being lured to Hillsborough.

He said: “This is a great opportunity for me at a massive club that is moving forward. I want to build on the foundations already in place at the academy and I can’t wait to get started.

“I’m really looking forward to working with the staff and, of course, Dave Jones and the management team.

“I am here to help the academy move forward and develop the young players the best I possibly can.”

Owls boss Dave Jones added: “Dean is a very experienced and committed coach who will prove a key addition to our aims at Sheffield Wednesday.

“He has produced some really good young footballers and everyone is looking forward to working with him.”

Edited by orangewednesdays

Guest intercity0wl

I must have been time travelling, as im sure i read this story somewhere the other Day

Edited by intercity0wl

WHAT?

HE HAS NEVER EVEN PLAYED FOR US B4- HOW CAN HE BE ANY GOOD?

(Just thought I'd say it before the Owlstalk morons come along wondering why Zigor Aranalde, Danny Reet and Adam Proudlock aren't joint academy head coaches.)

There was a 'teaser' saying the new coach had the initials DR by some ITKer last week (sorry I can't remember who you were) and Danny Reet was one of the guesses. :biggrin:

I'm sure it was a joke though. Right? :rolleyes:

Glad we've sorted an academy coach. Perfect time for him to get the job seeing as Pemberton has left United. Gives him a chance to compete for the best young players in Sheffield for next season instead of United snapping them up straight away.