Homophobia in football

Guest Lawrie Maddens Hump

Argh, no way, not you, please say this isn't true.

It is true.....I am gay and I am proud......

We just beat our city rivals to promotion, why wouldn't I be?.

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

I think the missing ingredients are... SKILL and PASSION!

Watch the national anthem when an England rugby game is on and you will see 15 men singing their hearts out (I've seen Dallaglio cry during the anthem) or the guys literally putting their bodies on the line for the good of the team and you'll see passion.

Watch a man kick a ball 60 meters to a space 1 meter in width or step another player at full tilt whilst catching a ball and you'll see skill. What rugby does't have a lot of is MONEY and MERCENARIES.

Anyway, rugby vs football is another thread for another time.

To those in this thread like Sniper1 who say no-one cares if people are gay, I'm afraid you're wrong. I see homophobia almost every day in some shape or form and when a young gay person is exposed and aware of that abuse day in and day out then it makes them feel like they are painting a target on their back by coming out.

The other side of the coin as to why people don't come out is accepting the fact themselves. It took me 8 years to come out. Some people never come to terms with it and spend their lives in the closet and many of these people try to hide their sexuality by being openly hostile towards gays (as has been mentioned in this thread already) - using the 'If everyone sees me slag off the poofs, they won't think I am one' defence.

The most amusing thing about homophobia (if there IS anything amusing that is) is when a totally homophobic person discovers someone close to them/their idol/favourite superstar is gay and they come out

I've seen that happen a few times where whole families have been homophobic only for their favourite band's lead singer to come out...

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Yeah, right. Even with free beer, and all the chumliness(??) you mention, "rugger" could never be even one tenth as popular as football. Because it involves an oval ball, which doesn't roll properly, lots of flying teeth, and lots of clever songs like (As Marseillese) "Two Frenchmen went to the lavatory, for to have a bloody good poo ". (V.fekkin mature, I don't think) I think the missing ingredients are... SKILL and PASSION!

I think you may have missed the point.

" .. Seems like Rugby people and fans can deal with things like adults where football fans can't, or at least that's how they are treated."

The point YOU are missing is - this is a football fans' forum, specifically Sheffield Wednesday. Preach all you like, but you may as well try to tell us we'd be much better behaved if we followed tiddlywinks. Now then, "Rugger" or "Tiddlywinks"? There's 2 games no amount of ale would enhance. Why are your balls oval, Taffie?

" .. Seems like Rugby people and fans can deal with things like adults where football fans can't, or at least that's how they are treated."

The point YOU are missing is - this is a football fans' forum, specifically Sheffield Wednesday. Preach all you like, but you may as well try to tell us we'd be much better behaved if we followed tiddlywinks. Now then, "Rugger" or "Tiddlywinks"? There's 2 games no amount of ale would enhance. Why are your balls oval, Taffie?

That's just childish!

That's just childish!

Start up a pro-rugger thread, on a rugby club fans' forum - not here on Owlstalk! At least if you want to advertise rugger, or more specifically, nice rugby-fans' behaviour, sell it, don't chide footie fans on their forum. That's what I'm saying. What's childish about that? Please, don't answer, especially if it involves Dallaglio and his wet hanky!

Start up a pro-rugger thread, on a rugby club fans' forum - not here on Owlstalk! At least if you want to advertise rugger, or more specifically, nice rugby-fans' behaviour, sell it, don't chide footie fans on their forum. That's what I'm saying. What's childish about that? Please, don't answer, especially if it involves Dallaglio and his wet hanky!

I was being funny- ie the accusation that football fans weren't adult enough- but you missed my point.

:Hirsty:

Edited by Lawrie Maddens Hump

Sorry if the popes dead but does anyone remember Justin Fashanu, wasn't he openly homosexual? I think he had come out to the press before representing England.

Nobody seems to remember of care. Can't see that it would make a difference with the majority of people. If they are a good player and accepted they can pretty much get away with anything with some fans (just look at Mr Evans) if you do not believe me.

Sorry if the popes dead but does anyone remember Justin Fashanu, wasn't he openly homosexual? I think he had come out to the press before representing England.

Nobody seems to remember of care. Can't see that it would make a difference with the majority of people. If they are a good player and accepted they can pretty much get away with anything with some fans (just look at Mr Evans) if you do not believe me.

Justin Fashanu is possibly not the best example of a footballer coming out and having no problems with anything afterwards.

Just a quick point about Justin Fashanu (in response to some of the comments earlier in the thread - so apologies if this has already been raised).

His suicide wasn't a direct result of the treatment he received after coming out (though there's no doubt he had a very rough time of it in the 8 years he lived as an openly gay man - which won't have helped his overall mental state).

His suicide was however the direct result of being accused of sexual assault in Maryland, and the conviction he expected to receive (despite protesting his innocence). He was petrified about being convicted (his suicide note referred to his assumption that he was already presumed guilty - in part due to his homosexuality) and the treatment he might face inside. Understandable really - we all know what convicted sexual offenders can expect behind bars - whether they are there for attacking men or women.

Now the reaction of friends and family to his coming out in 1990 may not have helped - he may have felt they let him down in his first hour of need (and possibly that he had let them down too) and that this situation wasn't going to be any better. But the inquest found that the main factor influencing his suicide, was the fear of conviction.

Sadly for Fashanu, he acted too quickly. At his inquest it was revealed that the Howard County DA's office had in fact sidelined their investigation due to concerns about the strength of their case, and the arrest warrant for Fashanu had been cancelled prior to his suicide.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Just a quick point about Justin Fashanu (in response to some of the comments earlier in the thread - so apologies if this has already been raised).

His suicide wasn't a direct result of the treatment he received after coming out (though there's no doubt he had a very rough time of it in the 8 years he lived as an openly gay man - which won't have helped his overall mental state).

His suicide was however the direct result of being accused of sexual assault in Maryland, and the conviction he expected to receive (despite protesting his innocence). He was petrified about being convicted (his suicide note referred to his assumption that he was already presumed guilty - in part due to his homosexuality) and the treatment he might face inside. Understandable really - we all know what convicted sexual offenders can expect behind bars - whether they are there for attacking men or women.

Now the reaction of friends and family to his coming out in 1990 may not have helped - he may have felt they let him down in his first hour of need (and possibly that he had let them down too) and that this situation wasn't going to be any better. But the inquest found that the main factor influencing his suicide, was the fear of conviction.

Sadly for Fashanu, he acted too quickly. At his inquest it was revealed that the Howard County DA's office had in fact sidelined their investigation due to concerns about the strength of their case, and the arrest warrant for Fashanu had been cancelled prior to his suicide.

Yes, this is very true, but I'd still steer clear of using him as proof of there being no concern!

Guest UncoveredKop

why should it matter, who really gives a monkeys?? Whatever happened to having a private life? As long as it is consenting adults and legal and safe, who cares???

Some of the posts in this thread are nothing short of embarasing.A few of the posters should be ashamed of themselfs.

If it was your brother that was gay would some of you support him or call him every name under the sun,blobster,puff, shirt lifter

Some of you need to flipping wise up.