Homophobia in football

They should come out so that the left wing hand wringing apologists can make even more rules to impose upon fans . Whatever peoples preferences to everything as long as its legal no one should give a rats left buttock . But lets make them come out so if anyone calls them a girls name inside the stadium they should be taken out chastised and shot .

They should come out so that the left wing hand wringing apologists can make even more rules to impose upon fans . Whatever peoples preferences to everything as long as its legal no one should give a rats left buttock . But lets make them come out so if anyone calls them a girls name inside the stadium they should be taken out chastised and shot .

Think you're missing the point. No one's trying to make anyone come out. It's been said that some gay footballers (and there definitely will be some) feel unable to be open about their sexuality due to some of the outdated attitudes in evidence in this thread, which is sadly representative of society as a whole.

Think you're missing the point. No one's trying to make anyone come out. It's been said that some gay footballers (and there definitely will be some) feel unable to be open about their sexuality due to some of the outdated attitudes in evidence in this thread, which is sadly representative of society as a whole.

football is a partisan sport . If someone's short , tall , fat , thin , bald , long haired people will single them out if they are the opposition to take the mickey . If someone lets say rooney came out as gay . He would get chants aimed at him and man u would also make some up lording him . Doesn't mean they are homophobic just taking the p155 exactly as if he had long blonde curly hair . They don't come out because apart from its nothing to do with anyone they don't want to give people ammunition to lets say chant " rooney rooney give us a kiss "

football is a partisan sport . If someone's short , tall , fat , thin , bald , long haired people will single them out if they are the opposition to take the mickey . If someone lets say rooney came out as gay . He would get chants aimed at him and man u would also make some up lording him . Doesn't mean they are homophobic just taking the p155 exactly as if he had long blonde curly hair . They don't come out because apart from its nothing to do with anyone they don't want to give people ammunition to lets say chant " rooney rooney give us a kiss "

Totally agree. It would definitely happen. But singling someone out for that kind of thing on the grounds of race is rightly frowned upon. Why is this any different? It's an interesting subject for intelligent debate.

Totally agree. It would definitely happen. But singling someone out for that kind of thing on the grounds of race is rightly frowned upon. Why is this any different? It's an interesting subject for intelligent debate.

if you take the mickey because someone has red hair then no one gives a stuff , this is as genetic as being black , white , gay or straight but that's just classed as taking the mickey so why should being gay which is also just who you are be any different ?

It is estimated that somewhere between 2-5% of the population are homosexual. On that basis, each team would have at least one gay player on average.

Although it's a stereotype, I do think there's something in what an earlier poster said about there being less than the national average in professional football. Just like there's more than the national average in hairdressing.

If a footballer did come out as 'gay' would you start or join in homophobic chants? If one of our better players turned out to be gay would your attitude towards them change? I think it's disgraceful that no footballer in the entire top 4 divisions has come out, just because of fear from the fans, why should it matter? It doesn't change there footballing ability or their personality so why should chants be made? It's exactly the same as racism in football which is now considered a disgrace to football so why not this? People may say that it's best for their careers if they keep it to themselves but that's not solving the problem, just hiding it so no one has to worry or care about it, this is stupid and homophobic.

Thoughts? People are entitled to there own opinions etc...

I agree completely - and thanks very much for starting this thread. The problem of homophobie in football doesn't get anywhere near enough attention.

From personal experience, I've only ever once heard a racist comment at a football game (although I'm sure racism is still a serious issue and there's still plenty more work to be done), but I've heard a fair bit of casual homophobia. Stuff like fans shouting "poof" and "nancy boy" at players, as if those were acceptable words to use. God knows what it would be like if the player in question actually was gay.

There are 92 league clubs, with dozens of players each. Statistically, there absolutely must be gay players out there. Sure, they don't have to come out if they don't want to - it's their business, and they're entitled to keep it private if they want to. But nobody should be forced to keep their sexual orientation a secret because they're scared it would wreck their career. I'm sure given the choice, most players would rather be open about it, without it making a difference.

Edited by Tyto

I'm a bit of a titty man myself, however I stave off the need to put this on a tee shirt, twitter, facebook or an advert in the times. So why should a young man (just because he makes a living from football) feel pressured to publicise the fact that he likes his balls tickling even it is by a brickie?

How is saying poof or Nancy boy casual homophobia . Its not meant to mean that they are gay but to mean that they have neshed a tackle . If some one shouted girl instead would that mean they thought that person was actually a girl . People these days just look for a reason to be offended on someone else's behalf . Gay people use the word poof to mean nesh even when they know that person is straight , or are they being hetrophobic ?

It is estimated that somewhere between 2-5% of the population are homosexual. On that basis, each team would have at least one gay player on average.

I thought the estimates were higher than that?

In any event it still doesn't mean they have any more obligation to come out than a shop assistant or factory worker.

if you take the mickey because someone has red hair then no one gives a stuff , this is as genetic as being black , white , gay or straight but that's just classed as taking the mickey so why should being gay which is also just who you are be any different ?

Because there's considerably less history of actual discrimination against redheads, I'd have thought.

I hate abuse of people for their physical characteristics though, regardless of what they are. Both because it's rubbish, but also because I am a grotesquely ugly freak.

I thought the estimates were higher than that?

In any event it still doesn't mean they have any more obligation to come out than a shop assistant or factory worker.

No. but as it has become socially acceptable to come out, more and more people have, which to me suggests that it's a generally desirable thing to do. If that same level of acceptability doesn't exist within some elements of society, then fewer people are able to live their life as they would wish,

In the anonymous confessions thread i think it was more like 75% gayers

Apart from the fact that if a child was born in Egypt with red hair they used to throw them off a cliff because it was deemed bad luck or celts mainly had red hair and when the Anglo saxons came they tried to breed them out . Its acceptable in all walks of life to insult people with red hair , don't think it is the same with being gay . Just a thought :-)

Apart from the fact that if a child was born in Egypt with red hair they used to throw them off a cliff because it was deemed bad luck or celts mainly had red hair and when the Anglo saxons came they tried to breed them out . Its acceptable in all walks of life to insult people with red hair , don't think it is the same with being gay . Just a thought :-)

Well I meant institutionalised and relatively recent, but yes, you're right. But 'X is wrong but Y is also wrong so X is in fact right' is not a solid form of argument.

I think I should point out that 'coming out' isn't a matter of "Hey, everyone, I'm gay!!!' but just being able to have a a normal life with a partner of the same sex and to live together or go out together without having to hide it from the media. Any gay footballers have to hide any relationships they have for fear of discrimination at most likely the fans but possibly other players.

They shouldn't have to hide their true selves because of biggots.