Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
owler5

Homophobia in football

Rate this topic

340 posts in this topic

If a footballer did come out as 'gay' would you start or join in homophobic chants? If one of our better players turned out to be gay would your attitude towards them change? I think it's disgraceful that no footballer in the entire top 4 divisions has come out, just because of fear from the fans, why should it matter? It doesn't change there footballing ability or their personality so why should chants be made? It's exactly the same as racism in football which is now considered a disgrace to football so why not this? People may say that it's best for their careers if they keep it to themselves but that's not solving the problem, just hiding it so no one has to worry or care about it, this is stupid and homophobic.

Thoughts? People are entitled to there own opinions etc...

If a footballer did come out as 'gay' would you start or join in homophobic chants? If one of our better players turned out to be gay would your attitude towards them change? I think it's disgraceful that no footballer in the entire top 4 divisions has come out, just because of fear from the fans, why should it matter? It doesn't change there footballing ability or their personality so why should chants be made? It's exactly the same as racism in football which is now considered a disgrace to football so why not this? People may say that it's best for their careers if they keep it to themselves but that's not solving the problem, just hiding it so no one has to worry or care about it, this is stupid and homophobic.

Thoughts? People are entitled to there own opinions etc...

not coming out because of the fear of fans :/ maybe they haven't come out because there not gay ha just a thought

OP is obviously a gayer.

blobster.

Edited by Sam779

I couldnt care less. If a player is gay, it's not an issue. Whether he plays for us, United or Swindon Supermarine.

OP is obviously a gayer.

blobster.

Says the man who's seen Bywater's wee wee tail...

lol

Edited by mirodo

I think you OP has had the EYE of a famous footballer,

Gwonn son !!

maybe they've not come out so they can still shower with the other players and have a cheeky look

Hahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahaha lol lol lol lol hahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhaha gary megson

Sorry tom, but you've made my night. PMSL

Edited by MilanTheMan

Says the man who's seen Bywater's wee wee tail...

lol

:biggrin:

It was actually Prutton who saw mine as he talked to me whilst he was urinating.

:biggrin:

It was actually Prutton who saw mine as he talked to me whilst he was urinating.

Some things you don't tel a fans forum lol

To answer the question: no I wouldn't chant. I dont care whether our, or any other teams, players are gay. But I agree with MASSIVE, that there are probably very few gays in football: they are just not interested in it. Its the flip side of hairdressing, where they're nearly all gay.

What would bother me is that if a gay player was crap, whenever he gets booed would be seen by the pc brigade as homophobic. Just like when John Barnes was booed playing for England. That wasn't racist: he was crap and didn't produce his Liverpool form.

I think some of these posts have answered your question :st2:

To answer the question: no I wouldn't chant. I dont care whether our, or any other teams, players are gay. But I agree with MASSIVE, that there are probably very few gays in football: they are just not interested in it. Its the flip side of hairdressing, where they're nearly all gay.

What would bother me is that if a gay player was crap, whenever he gets booed would be seen by the pc brigade as homophobic. Just like when John Barnes was booed playing for England. That wasn't racist: he was crap and didn't produce his Liverpool form.

Guy sat behind me in the theatre tonight (yes the theatre luvees) was claiming he slept with a Maltese international footballer.

Funny that this topic came up the same night.

Assuming there are gay professional footballers; why should they have to "come out"?

Assuming there are gay professional footballers; why should they have to "come out"?

This

A player's sexual preference is none of my concern. Not interested in the slightest tbh.

Sexuality doesnt mean anything in football. It doesnt make a difference to the player if he is ok with getting a few chants from MINORITIE'S.

They should come out so that the left wing hand wringing apologists can make even more rules to impose upon fans . Whatever peoples preferences to everything as long as its legal no one should give a rats left buttock . But lets make them come out so if anyone calls them a girls name inside the stadium they should be taken out chastised and shot .

They should come out so that the left wing hand wringing apologists can make even more rules to impose upon fans . Whatever peoples preferences to everything as long as its legal no one should give a rats left buttock . But lets make them come out so if anyone calls them a girls name inside the stadium they should be taken out chastised and shot .

Think you're missing the point. No one's trying to make anyone come out. It's been said that some gay footballers (and there definitely will be some) feel unable to be open about their sexuality due to some of the outdated attitudes in evidence in this thread, which is sadly representative of society as a whole.

Think you're missing the point. No one's trying to make anyone come out. It's been said that some gay footballers (and there definitely will be some) feel unable to be open about their sexuality due to some of the outdated attitudes in evidence in this thread, which is sadly representative of society as a whole.

football is a partisan sport . If someone's short , tall , fat , thin , bald , long haired people will single them out if they are the opposition to take the mickey . If someone lets say rooney came out as gay . He would get chants aimed at him and man u would also make some up lording him . Doesn't mean they are homophobic just taking the p155 exactly as if he had long blonde curly hair . They don't come out because apart from its nothing to do with anyone they don't want to give people ammunition to lets say chant " rooney rooney give us a kiss "

football is a partisan sport . If someone's short , tall , fat , thin , bald , long haired people will single them out if they are the opposition to take the mickey . If someone lets say rooney came out as gay . He would get chants aimed at him and man u would also make some up lording him . Doesn't mean they are homophobic just taking the p155 exactly as if he had long blonde curly hair . They don't come out because apart from its nothing to do with anyone they don't want to give people ammunition to lets say chant " rooney rooney give us a kiss "

Totally agree. It would definitely happen. But singling someone out for that kind of thing on the grounds of race is rightly frowned upon. Why is this any different? It's an interesting subject for intelligent debate.