Old Pics from early 80s.

Having a sort out and found these.

A few are from a pre season open day the others of the Kop were taken by just walking right in no questions asked, carn't imagine

a couple of teenagers getting away with that these days.

Anyone else got any pics of the kop roof build ?

EPSON003.jpg

EPSON002.jpg

EPSON001.jpg

• Like 2

flipping snap mate if it went to a vote to have them seats ripped out i would be all for it.

Even when the roof went on it was great but I can honestly say that I think i've been on the Kop about twice since it was seated, just wasn't the same.

I know i'm getting an old fart, but I can't remember the kop with the roof on with standing room only !! :wacko::ph34r:

How many seasons was it like that / what year etc..

If I remember correctly the roof went on in the summer of 1986 and the seats followed in 1993.

Wouldn't bet any body parts on it though.

Brilliant photo's. Good to see the transformation as the hump of the old Kop is built up... Does make my wonder why we had such a strange shaped Kop in the first place? Guess it was just built on a hill. Why we didn't spend a bit more and get the back of the kop sorted has baffled me.

I know i'm getting an old fart, but I can't remember the kop with the roof on with standing room only !! :wacko::ph34r:

How many seasons was it like that / what year etc..

Roof went on the Kop in about 1985. Seats went on the KOP in the mid 90's. Not sure the exact season. I remember Dave Richards and other Directors came on the KOP for the last standing game.

Did anybody else do the fund raising run to roof the kop in 1985. There was an open day and I thin I remember an American football game on the pitch as we sat in the North stand recovering from the run.

If I remember correctly the roof went on in the summer of 1986 and the seats followed in 1993.

Wouldn't bet any body parts on it though.

Really.. :blink: :st2: Those late 80's early 90's were a bit of a hazy time but wtf.. I can't remember nearly 7 years on the kop..

Mind you was in the navy during that spell also.. major drunken spell of my life !

Lifted from the history books:

The Kop at Hillsborough was re-opened in 1986 by Queen Elizabeth II and was once the largest covered stand of any football stadium in Europe (22000) Now all seater holding just over half that amount (11210).

Cheers for the comments guys, got some pics from the Wembley trips somewhere, will have to find them and get them uploaded.

Me & my mate (inquisitive youngsters !!) went down to see the building work on the Kop roof. To our surprise there was no security whatsoever so we just started walking on the Kop. Now not only was the roof going up but parts of the original Kop had been removed in order for re-shaping. You could see right through down to ground level. There were no safety precautions at all. I just don't think they expected sight-seers.

We also went in the North and clambered up into the West that day, as well as 'posing' on the tunnel roof.

All the above was captured on film but where the photos are I know not.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

Brilliant photo's. Good to see the transformation as the hump of the old Kop is built up... Does make my wonder why we had such a strange shaped Kop in the first place? Guess it was just built on a hill. Why we didn't spend a bit more and get the back of the kop sorted has baffled me.

There's a photo knocking around on here of the ground in the first season or two at S6 taken from Wisewood or thereabouts - the valley bottom is as flat as a pancake except for this pile of earth at the side of the old road to Penistone - the Spion Kop was built on this mound and is there to this day under the concrete.

Edited by Briscoe Inferno

Remember going up to Hillsborough on my lunch breaks when the Kop was being roofed. As the OP says, you just walked straight into the North, no questions asked. Took some photos myself, sadly now lost.

It's hard for people to imagine these days but until about 1990 most football grounds, buildings, hospitals, venues etc were'nt locked up with security during the day. You could, and I did, wander into almost anywhere unhindered. If I was near Hillsborough in the week I often used to have a walk inside the ground just to worship at the place! As kids we used to go to grounds in the week to get autographs and they all used to be open. At Filbert Street we just walked in and the then manager, Matt Gillies I think asked us what we were doing there, when we said we wanted some autographs and had come on the train from Chesterfield he took us to meet Gordon Banks on the pitch who was training. I even took a penalty and scored aginst Gordon Banks!

They're great photos, thanks for posting.