How good was Carlton Palmer ?

In my opinion he was one of the best players we've ever had. What energy he had box to box was so easy for him.

Many non-owls have often said how on earth did he get picked for England. I always say you had to see him week in week out to recognise how good he was.

His England place was richly deserved and at that time for the job he had to do I would not have swapped him for any other player in the top division.

Guest AnotherOwl

He was first class. Pissed teams off, created loads of opportunities, and was very consistent. Nothing but good memories of Carlton playing.

As important to the 90's team as Hirst, Waddle and Sheridan. On form he was a nightmare for opposition to play against, covered every blade of grass, broke up attacks, surged forward and tracked back. Read Johnson could easily play this role in our current side, but providing a bigger goal threat

Excellent player in an excellent team. Never stopped running and working. He was the perfect foil for Sheridan.

Perhaps didn't score enough and was a serious wind up merchant. Remember one game where he really John Hendrie while he was at Middlesborough. Hendrie left everyone in no doubt about what he though of Palmer.

Definitely deserved his England place at the time. He got unfairly tagged possibly because Taylor was manager and scapegoats were needed during the world cup 94 qualifying campaign.

He was similar to, but better than Reda....no offense meant...He perfectly complimented Sheridan, he won the ball with some ridiculous long legged tackles when it seemed the player had long gone, and laid it to Sheridan.,not just a ball winner though...he could run forever and simply ate up the ground with his stride....He got crosses in from ridiculous positions.

Great centre half but did not like the position...his finishing up front was fookin' awful, although he lost me money once on getting a 4th I think it was against QPR and I think he got a hattrick..I believe I had a fiver on summatt like 3-1 Wednesday...and he went through....no worries i thought...he finished it like fookin' Pele.

It was sad that he was suspended for the league cup final in '91 cos he played such a large part in getting us there, but I remember him saying the reception he got from the fans made up for it...