Standing

Behave. Nobody's saying the oldies shouldn't go, but they will probably remember the days of the terraces and the atmosphere that came with the terraces. They'll no doubt know that people have always stood at football.

Then they'll no doubt remember the running battles on the terraces, the push and sway of the massed bodies, the hooliganism, the p.issing in the pocket of the chap in front and witnessed various horrific scenes at antiquated all standing grounds around the globe 30 and 40 years ago...

...long before the young fans who were probably stood up all game in front of them were probably even born.

Edited by Guest

Then they'll no doubt remember the tuning battles on the terraces, the push and sway of the massed bodies, the hooliganism, the p.issing in the pocket of the chap in front and witnessed various horrific scenes at antiquated all standing grounds around the globe 30 and 40 years ago...

...long before the young fans who were probably stood up all game in front of them were probably even born.

Absolutely.......and when they buy a ticket that says NO STANDING they expect to able to watch the team theyve watched for a long time. 

This "Im alright jack" attitude as shown by pompeyowl is disgusting. Most people would rather rid Hillsboro of his sort and keep the old ladies.

I wouldn't rid the ground of any of em, just would hope that people respect that we do have some older, less able bodied, wheelchair using fans and children who may actually NEED to sit and show some humility and respect to them.

I'm certain that at Hillborough those fans often have a safe little zone they can be comfortable in on match days but the lottery of the ticketing at the playoff final made it inevitable that some care to respect those who were caught in such a situation was taken by younger owls.

But then again, it's their own fault they are old innit.

I stood.

If I'd blocked the view of anyone (and I checked), I'd have moved for them. And I'd hope everyone else would've done the same.

Standing helped the atmosphere massively yesterday, I hope it gets brought back.

This is my one gripe from Saturday.

We were in 243 (front row). I'm a stander (hate sitting down at football matches) so I was stood up early on. After a few minutes the lady behind me sat down, realising she couldn't see, I decided to sit to allow her to see.

However, I got up for the 'bounce' and the 'on our way' chant because every other block was up and giving it everything. Shortly after standing, a large gentleman in his 40s came down from 2 rows up and told me to 'frigging sit down'. I was taken aback and sat down but it really annoyed me as every other block around, above and below were on their feet.

Fast forward to the second half and I was mostly sitting down but occasionally standing (when the ball was out of play). I stood for the huge 15 minute chant we all had going but moved slightly in the aisle to avoid blocking views.

Once again the big guy came down to tell me to sit down coz he hadn't spent £78 to see nothing. He threw a few more swear words in to top it off.

I pointed out that we were the only block in sight where people could be seen sitting and asked him how he found the energy to come and tell me off but couldn't find the energy to stand. I stood for most of the last 20 minutes.

It really gets on my nerves when people insist on sitting. What do you want? Quiet sitting with fingers on lips for the entire game? Standing and chanting is part of the modern game - don't like it, don't moan to me when I am giving my all to support the team!

If you can't find the energy and willpower to stand and support the team at our one Wembley came in over 20 years, when can you?!

In principle I agree entirely Bez.

But unfortunately we do have a small number of fans who CANT stand for whatever reason and some fans on here seem to have the attitude "f.uck em" and this is wrong. In that rare situation where you obviously are ruining the game for someone who can't join in as much, either respect that and sit or search for a solution.

I went to Wembley in 91 with my dad, we were about 25 rows back, great atmosphere, no standing other than the usual when something is happening.

I went twice in 93 with him, once we were in the gods, no standing - the other time behind the goal in some god awful "seats" about 15 rows back no standing.

Went to Cardiff with my dad, the same good seats, great atmosphere no standing apart from the threats in the game

My dad said to me before the game "This might be my last time at Wembley"  Actually he thinks it might be his last game ever in side a stadium - having followed Wednesday up and down the country - standing I will grant you that, since 1947, he was born in 1938.

I loved the experience but was equally gutted for the portions of the game my dad had to sit down and couldn't see a thing and looking around he was not the only one   Part timers over my dad? I take my dad every time.   I know what you guys are saying but it's not fair when if you can choose a standing area or choose a sitting area, he would have chosen a sitting area but the choice was not his.  Is he any less a fan because he can't stand any longer for long periods of time?

As good as the atmosphere was, my overriding memory will be that.

Edited by salmonbones

This is my one gripe from Saturday.

We were in 243 (front row). I'm a stander (hate sitting down at football matches) so I was stood up early on. After a few minutes the lady behind me sat down, realising she couldn't see, I decided to sit to allow her to see.

However, I got up for the 'bounce' and the 'on our way' chant because every other block was up and giving it everything. Shortly after standing, a large gentleman in his 40s came down from 2 rows up and told me to 'frigging sit down'. I was taken aback and sat down but it really annoyed me as every other block around, above and below were on their feet.

Fast forward to the second half and I was mostly sitting down but occasionally standing (when the ball was out of play). I stood for the huge 15 minute chant we all had going but moved slightly in the aisle to avoid blocking views.

Once again the big guy came down to tell me to sit down coz he hadn't spent £78 to see nothing. He threw a few more swear words in to top it off.

I pointed out that we were the only block in sight where people could be seen sitting and asked him how he found the energy to come and tell me off but couldn't find the energy to stand. I stood for most of the last 20 minutes.

It really gets on my nerves when people insist on sitting. What do you want? Quiet sitting with fingers on lips for the entire game? Standing and chanting is part of the modern game - don't like it, don't moan to me when I am giving my all to support the team!

If you can't find the energy and willpower to stand and support the team at our one Wembley came in over 20 years, when can you?!

Sat to the right of this and saw that you lot had to sit.

W*****s.

I went to Wembley in 91 with my dad, we were about 25 rows back, great atmosphere, no standing other than the usual when something is happening.

I went twice in 93 with him, once we were in the gods, no standing - the other time behind the goal in some god awful "seats" about 15 rows back no standing.

Went to Cardiff with my dad, the same good seats, great atmosphere no standing apart from the threats in the game

My dad said to me before the game "This might be my last time at Wembley"  Actually he thinks it might be his last game ever in side a stadium - having followed Wednesday up and down the country - standing I will grant you that, since 1947, he was born in 1938.

I loved the experience but was equally gutted for the portions of the game my dad had to sit down and couldn't see a thing and looking around he was not the only one   Part timers over my dad? I take my dad every time.   I know what you guys are saying but it's not fair when if you can choose a standing area or choose a sitting area, he would have chosen a sitting area but the choice was not his.  Is he any less a fan because he can't stand any longer for long periods of time?

As good as the atmosphere was, my overriding memory will be that.

excellent post

Another point:

Love the north at Hillsborough and normally sit at the west end where everyone stands. However for Brighton I was in the middle of the north.

Stood up for the bounce song (a sub was taking place) and someone from 2 rows behind yanked me down by my hoodie.

Do one.

In principle I agree entirely Bez.

But unfortunately we do have a small number of fans who CANT stand for whatever reason and some fans on here seem to have the attitude "f.uck em" and this is wrong. In that rare situation where you obviously are ruining the game for someone who can't join in as much, either respect that and sit or search for a solution.

It is a difficult one but if you are disabled or elderly then organise seats with a good view.

I appreciate that you can't always choose your seats but it doesn't take much to politely ask someone to switch if completely necessary.

Modern football = standing and chanting. It is something you have to accept if you want to be part of it.

Moaning and demanding everyone sits on their hands isn't going to go down well...

It is a difficult one but if you are disabled or elderly then organise seats with a good view.

I appreciate that you can't always choose your seats but it doesn't take much to politely ask someone to switch if completely necessary.

Modern football = standing and chanting. It is something you have to accept if you want to be part of it.

Moaning and demanding everyone sits on their hands isn't going to go down well...

I agree, respect goes both ways.

Like me.

They dont stand at Hillsboro only on the Kop and only in the middle