Wembley Allocations - FA or Football League to blame?

Please forgive my ignorance, I just wondered who arranges the ticket allocations for non-England matches at Wembley - I presume some liaison between the FA and FL is necessary but who makes the call about allocating numbers to each team and not keeping some back to allocate once initial sales figures have become clear?
I presume the FL?

Cheers, EP

Guest 1banana2banana

We've sold 16000 more than our average gate. How many extra did you want?

We've also sold our stadium out 3 times this season

And Hull?.....

It won't work like that. Hull are the 'Home team' so they get the East, we get the West. They are then asked if they think they will need the full allocation - they said yes.

Edited by evaD

We've sold 16000 more than our average gate. How many extra did you want?

I've got mine, grandad, so I personally don't want any extra, thanks. I was merely asking the question because it seems rather ludicrous to me to have reams of empty seats at a season finale when there are many fans who would be happy to buy them. But if you disagree then by all means crack on.

Guest mkowl

We've also sold our stadium out 3 times this season

And Hull?.....

I suspect they have a higher % to capacity ratio than we do

The fact is the FL were fair to start with - basically 50:50 and can't make assumptions as to what uptake will be in advance of that

Based on our last appearance at Wembley they could have started at 16000 or whatever we took to the replay. Folk would have been annoyed if some of the best seats were held back on our sales

Guest Deleted member

No, actually, I do agree.

But Hull have averaged just over 5k less than us this season.

Why would the FA (or whoever allocated the tickets) assume we would sell so many more?

It was a genuine question

Hull will probably have known in advance they wouldn't shift 39000 tickets and should've said so.

They were worried they'd be outnumbered in support by two to one. All they've managed to do by asking for 39000 tickets is to display 10000 empty seats and still be outnumbered by two to one (ish) - depending on the number of Owls fans who manage to obtain tickets via other means (i.e. not from See tickets).

It won't work like that. Hull are the 'Home team' so they get the East, we get the West. They are then asked if they think they will need the full allocation - they said yes.

Ah, so it's all Hull's fault then, in essence?

I would have thought the FL (or FA if I've got that bit wrong) could allocate 30,000 or 35,000 to each club as a standard policy and then allocate the rest based on sales, but maybe I'm being naive given the timescales involved.

Guest mkowl

Ah, so it's all Hull's fault then, in essence?

I would have thought the FL (or FA if I've got that bit wrong) could allocate 30,000 or 35,000 to each club as a standard policy and then allocate the rest based on sales, but maybe I'm being naive given the timescales involved.

Nail on head - for all the suggestions on here which are commendable - we are looking at a 10 day window maximum once postal times are factored in

But Hull have averaged just over 5k less than us this season.

Why would the FA (or whoever allocated the tickets) assume we would sell so many more?

Haven't you answered your own question? Surely if we're selling 5k more every match on average then an allocation of at least 5k more at Wembley would be a reasonable starting position, irrespective of Wednesday's much larger (inter)national support which I fully understand the FL/FA can't start to get involved in guessing at.

1] This will be the last time folk are caught by surprise - we all need to get used to it.

2] Wembley will lose a substantial amount of revenue now - they need to issue clubs with 25000 each as an initial batch starting on each side of the tunnel then round.  The release a block segments at a time.  Its stupidly simple and it beggars belief that this system has not been in place since it was built.

The Welsh had it spot on.

Yes we have a big fan base but as others have said its a 22k average and we've got over 50% more than that.

In order to fill the stadium they should have left blocks empty on the halfway line and sold from the other halfway line until the demand became apparent. Simple.

1] This will be the last time folk are caught by surprise - we all need to get used to it.

2] Wembley will lose a substantial amount of revenue now - they need to issue clubs with 25000 each as an initial batch starting on each side of the tunnel then round.  The release a block segments at a time.  Its stupidly simple and it beggars belief that this system has not been in place since it was built.

The Welsh had it spot on.

Wrote mine as you must have been writing yours flat owl.

Its not as if we don't have a past and recent history of being oversubscribed for big games or away allocations, even if day to day capacity for league games has, up to now, not been a regular occurrence.

Guest 1banana2banana

I suspect they have a higher % to capacity ratio than we do

The fact is the FL were fair to start with - basically 50:50 and can't make assumptions as to what uptake will be in advance of that

Based on our last appearance at Wembley they could have started at 16000 or whatever we took to the replay. Folk would have been annoyed if some of the best seats were held back on our sales

What's percentage of capacity got to do with anything ? So if hulls ground held 300 and they sold out every week they deserve as many as us ? Eh ??