A Seagull Eye's View

Evening all.

I've never signed up to another club's forum before so this is a first for me. Part of it is therapy. I'm still struggling to process the end of the season and just want to air it all. The trouble is that most people I know don't give a damn. It's only on a forum, even a rival's forum, that people really "get" it.

I started following Brighton in the early 80s during the good times. I was eight when my Dad took me to my first match. It was a 0-0 draw with Stoke. God knows why I ever went back! My point here is that I only had the briefest of times watching us in the top flight before we reverted back to our historical role of being not at all good. I've seen a few of you on here complaining how unlucky you've been for a decade or two. Well I've been waiting 33 years to get back to the big time now and thanks to your boys I can add at least another year to that.

Today has genuinely hurt. Around every half an hour my mind has drifted back to last night and I get a fresh slug of sadness right in the gut. A season as good as ours simply shouldn't hurt that much. However, I am also glad I was at the match. It was an amazing experience: the kind of night you'll be glad to say you were there for in years to come.

We WERE unlucky in many respects. Decisions and injuries did go against us for the last few fixtures. I will admit that we bottled the Derby game though and that cost us in the end. Had we found a way to win that we could have afforded a draw at Boro' and then who knows?

Anyway, why am I here? Apart from the therapy bit, I wanted to pop by and applaud you and your team. I wasn't at the Hillsborough game but the TV made it pretty clear that your support was phenomenal. At The Amex you turned up in force and made yourselves heard. While I could barely bring myself to look at you all partying at the end I have to acknowledge that your end looked like a very fun place to be. As for your team, quite a few I our message boards would have you believe your win was purely down to luck. That's obviously wishful thinking. Your boys did a thorough, professional job on us. The home leg could have been won by more. We made you sweat out the first half last night but your second half was monumental. Your boys shut down every last inch of space. We got urgent, then careless, then rattled and made almost nothing. I kept waiting for you to break out with pace and grab the winner but at least that never came. I've no complaints. None against you anyway.

You've had long enough in the wilderness to have earned this shot at the top flight. I was always impressed/amazed with the numbers that turned up to cheer you on when you were in the third tier. That speaks volumes for what you are and could be in the future and I've got to admire it. For what it's worth, I hope you do it. All year long we have been the underdog. The fact that we've fallen short pains me but the underdog mantle passes to you for the playoff final. Hope it fits you.

I may never post on here again but I felt I needed to get that little lot off my chest.

Best of luck.

Edited by Deeeeeek

Evening all.

I've never signed up to another club's forum before so this is a first for me. Part of it is therapy. I'm still struggling to process the end of the season and just want to air it all. The trouble is that most people I know don't give a damn. It's only on a forum, even a rival's forum, that people really "get" it.

I started following Brighton in the early 80s during the good times. I was eight when my Dad took me to my first match. It was a 0-0 draw with Stoke. God knows why I ever went back! My point here is that I only had the briefest of times watching us in the top flight before we reverted back to our historical role of being not at all good. I've seen a few of you on here complaining how unlucky you've been for a da de or two. Well I've been waiting 33 years to get back to the big time now and thanks to your boys I can add at least another year to that.

Today has genuinely hurt. Around every half an hour my mind has drifted back to last night and I get a fresh slug of sadness right in the gut. A season as good as ours simply shouldn't hurt that much. However, I am also glad I was at the match. It was an amazing experience: the kind of night you'll be glad to say you were there for in years to come.

We WERE unlucky in many respects. Decisions and injuries did go against us for the last few fixtures. I will admit that we bottled the Derby game though and that cost us in the end. Had we found a way to win that we could have afforded a draw at Boro' and then who knows?

Anyway, why am I here? Apart from the therapy bit, I wanted to pop by and applaud you and your team. I wasn't at the Hillsborough game but the TV made it pretty clear that your support was phenomenal. At The Amex you turned up in force and made yourselves heard. While I could barely bring myself to look at you all partying at the end I have to acknowledge that your end looked like a very fun place to be. As for your team, quite a few I our message boards would have you believe your win was purely down to luck. That's obviously wishful thinking. Your boys did a thorough, professional job on us. The home leg could have been won by more. We made you sweat out the first half last night but your second half was monumental. Your boys shut down every last inch of space. We got urgent, then careless, then rattled and made almost nothing. I kept waiting for you to break out with pace and grab the winner but at least that never came. I've no complaints. None against you anyway.

You've had long enough in the wilderness to have earned this shot at the top flight. I was always impressed/amazed with the numbers that turned up to cheer you on when you were in the third tier. That speaks volumes for what you are and could be in the future and I've got to admire it. For what it's worth, I hope you do it. All year long we have been the underdog. The fact that we've fallen short pains me but the underdog mantle passes to you for the playoff final. Hope it fits you.

I may never post on here again but I felt I needed to get that little lot off my chest.

Best of luck.

Mate, fair play for coming on a forum of a team you've just lost to, takes guts.

Also, unlucky, couldn't imagine how it feels, cracking effort the first half last night though can't remember the last time we got attacked like that from the off.

All the best mate.

We know you're pain mate, still experiencing it from 1993 and bloody Arsenal!

However you have a great set up there and I am sure it won't be too long before you are gracing the top flight.

Excellent post, Deeeeeek.

We all saw two fantastic ties between the Owls and the Seagulls and Brighton almost did enough last night. You can't faul the way your lads played last night - sometimes the performance doesn't get a deserved result as we've both learned over the years.

Either way, Brighton will be one helluva team to beat in the Championship next season. All the best.

Evening all.

I started following Brighton in the early 80s during the good times. I was eight when my Dad took me to my first match. It was a 0-0 draw with Stoke. God knows why I ever went back! My point here is that I only had the briefest of times watching us in the top flight before we reverted back to our historical role of being not at all good. I've seen a few of you on here complaining how unlucky you've been for a decade or two. Well I've been waiting 33 years to get back to the big time now and thanks to your boys I can add at least another year to that.

Best of luck.

Christ. I read all that waiting for a line to pick up on and argue, but I couldn't.

Well said mate, and thanks for giving me the longest 45 minutes half I've ever witnessed.

However you have a great set up there and I am sure it won't be too long before you are gracing the top flight.

Well we hope so but you just never know. That's three out of four seasons we've been in the playoffs and I've yet to have the pleasure of even getting a ticket for Wembley. I remember Tranmere banged on the door for years and never made it. Then look at what happened to them. You've got to grab the chance when it is there and I'm taking nothing for granted. It's back to square one from August.

You've got your chance. I hope you take it.

In all honesty, and as a salute:

You were unlucky over the past few days.  We know how that goes, and can commiserate with you.  Your support at the Amex was something to be proud of, as were your results this season. 

I hope next season brings you better luck, and that your club gives you the joy which can assuage your pain.

You'll be oreght. You've got a good set up there. Some good players too.

I can image that the "when will Brighton fall away?" comments for most of this season will have been very annoying. It was a tremendous effort.

Ps. All Wednesday fans know that we have a lot to be thankful for during those first 20 minutes last night. Makes me want to believe in God actually.

Guest 1banana2banana

Good post and thanks

I will never ever re watch that first half of football in my life

I've never been so scared watching a game of football

Decent post till you said you was waiting for us to attack you with pace. We did that twice & your thuggish defenders took to rugby tactics to stop Forestieri & Helan both Red cards for endangering an opponent in my opinion.