Brunt and Whelan

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Tut trust....that Pupil at left back must be a right player. I bet he's a student of the game and watches his opponents carefully before games. I'll get mi coat! lol

Whelan and Brunt would get in this current team. Both are consistent players at Premier League level. Wickham and Barkley obviously would as well. Antonio should never have left in my opinion and some still claim he forced the move (which he didn't).

Lees and Loovens for me as a partnership over anything we've had since 2000.

Bougherra was a great talent, but was haphazard defensively at times.

My thoughts exactly. On a good four or five occasions, Bougherra clearly demonstrated his defensive frailties by panicking and booting the ball about 30 yards directly up in the air only for it to return to ground and put us in trouble. I have not yet seen Lees or Loovens panick - they are the most assured central defensive pairing we've had since Pearson and Shirtliffe IMHO.

There would be a place for whelan and brunt, both have played week in week out in the prem for years, and both would improve our team. Antonio also. Whether he would suit our style etc is sort of irrelevant. He's doing well for a top six premier league side, has pace , and knows where the net is. Would take him on our right side in a heartbeat

Madjid bougherra next to lees

Antonio on the right

Chris lines next to bannan

Big Guns R.I.P is no longer resting in peace...his zombified body is stirring at the very mention of Chris silky Lines. Edited by fatzooma

Really? Did alright together for 6 games or so in League One. Don't think that justifies best pairing for 15 years.

Bannan and Lee better for a start. As are Lopez and Lee. Lines and Semedo were solid in League One for the course of the season.

We've had some crap since the PL days though to be fair !!

[quote name="salmonbones" post="6671909" timestamp="1462304428"

Bougherra at his peak was also better than we have now - what I called at the time a modern "Paul Warhurst" - a centre back able to break forward at ease.

Disagree. Lees is superb at this level, very consistent and for two seasons running has been a key player in a side that's matched our clean sheets record.

I think they'd have made a top drawer pairing.

Brunt would have been much like Wallace is for us, plenty of assists and the odd goal. Unfortunately though we're seeing Wallace at the end of his career.

whelan and brunt are regular players in the premier league and have been for a number of years ....the jury is still out on whether

any of our current squad will be .....westwood, hunt,pudil,bannon, forestieri,mcgugan wallace,helan,mcgeady,hooper,hutch, turner all signed

from prem clubs who didnt seem to want to keep them .

Antonio, Brunt, Whelan would easily have a part to play in our current squad or if we went to the PL

Bougherra for me was my favourite player for the few months he played for us. That also reflected in the transfer fee that was paid for him. 

Bougherra (if we took his form when he played for us) can race forward and skill past players whilst Lees can cover. He was such an exciting player to watch. 

I remember rumours of Everton? being interested in Simek before his injury....maybe wrong? I think in his prime for us he would have made it as a lower league PL footballer. 

Edited by SouthernOwl24