New ground v redevelopment ?

I don't see the Hillsborough location being able to cope with the traffic or parking required. By redevelopment we also mean knock the whole thing down along with a few houses and start again. I can see a new location and stadium being the cheaper and better option. Wouldn't want a bowl design though and would love to be proved wrong regarding Hillsborough

What like before we had the Wednesdsyite car park you mean?

Loads of park just walk for 10minutes, Jesus I'm a right fat rascal but even I can manage that.

If and when we get back to the media glare of the Prem ...

Every media outlet, bar maybe The Sun, will be baying for the demolishment of Hillsborough

Bugger em we held top flight football for 9 years after as well as European Championships so Edited by Birley Owl 1867

That memorial is a joke. We cant dissociate ourselves from the disaster so embracing it is better than ignoring it.

I agree Ellis.

The disaster was a historical event and has and will have more impact on this nation that us winning the 1935 FA Cup final.

It has had an effect on change in the sport and other stadium based sports for the better.

It has had an effect on how the establishment views and treats the general public on so many levels including human dignity.

If and when we get back to the media glare of the Prem ...

Every media outlet, bar maybe The Sun, will be baying for the demolishment of Hillsborough

Eh?

They really won't.

And as for the stigma. Give over.

It's Hillsborough. It's our home.

We should have some sort of museum honouring the dead with proceeds going to charity in a redeveloped west stand. At the moment I think it's like we try to ignore the disaster which I feel holds us back.

all for a museum honouring our history but having one for the 96 deceased and giving the money to charity ....why ?....what you

going to put in it photo's that we have all seen a million times .who'd pay to go into something like that .

It's been said by someone before,and I think it's a good analogy-If someone offered you a brand new fiat punto or a vintage Bentley that needed restoring which would you prefer?

I know which I would choose-Hillsborough is a great stadium and will be at it's finest today with a full house.

(Other brands are available and no disrespect to owners of Fiat Puntos!) :biggrin:

yep I'd go for the Punto aswell.

Why should the majority who don't go by car have to change to suit the minority?

it's the new fan demographic, we're trying to attract families with lots of disposable income I think they're more likely to turn up in a BMW/Audi than arrive on the number 57 bus.

Hillsborough traffic coped in the 90's when we were in the prem so why not again? Also parking, how would that be solved by moving to a new stadium? And as to knocking down houses, supposedly the reason we havent put a roof on the nw corner was due to planning permission due to the houses behind. If redeveloped we could do something a bit like the aviva stadium in dublin where clear glass/ persepex has been used at the back of the stand to let natural light through. Also to improve the concourses on the north there is plenty of room behind the stand where the megastore and sports hall are. We probably would only be able to build 3 quarters of the way up the back of the stand, but as long as the new buildings werent built up as high as the existing structure we wouldnt need to demolish any houses and cant see any reason as to why planning permission wouldnt be granted

Like I said, I'd love to be proved wrong regarding redevelopment. Let's get some plans sorted.

I also remember traffic being far worse in the 90's compared to now, from the north anyway. We've parked in 4 or 5 different car parks near hallam fm for the last 30 years and everyone of them has stopped letting you in during that time. With the Wednesdayite car park shutting too, next year could be a nightmare.

As for public transport, if you get it to Hillsborough, surely you can get it to somewhere else? The whole idea of a new stadium would be to have some infrastructure round it, pubs, bars, restaurants, corporate stuff etc...

Hillsborough is our home, the tragedies and the glory are part of our history. The History can and must not be rewritten. The pain and the pleasure  have to sit uncomfortably side by side.

We as fans have nothing to feel guilty about. In the day many of us objected to the fences, most if not all of our pitch invasions were of celebration rather than confrontation. The fences were compounded by pens and the danger level was increased significantly. We as fans and the club were aware of the danger but it was a decision handed down and out of our control.

We should display all the empathy we can. Some of the stereotypical opinions of the people of Liverpool held by some of  our fans do us no favours at all.

Hillsborough is our home and that is how I'd like it to stay. Hillsborough and Wednesday are one of the same. Lets see it redeveloped. 

Guest wilyfox

A new ground would be nice, but Hillsborough is too important to abandon - for obvious reasons. Therefore, I'd modernise/redevelop.

I've no doubt if we want to be challenging the footy elite in the near future we will have to move.

We just don't have enough room at Hillsborough to build the infrastructure to support a top team, and why I can't understand why the club didn't buy the Wednesdayite car park.

But I'm guessing DC already has a vision in place for the future, dependent on a good run in the prem and might not want to spend unnecessary money.

Can see the logic in moving, it would be heart breaking, but exciting at the same time.......losing the Hillsborough name and being called the Zodiac Finance Stadium or whatever will be the hardest cross to bare for me........although when someone googles us they'll get more pleasurable results.

it's the new fan demographic, we're trying to attract families with lots of disposable income I think they're more likely to turn up in a BMW/Audi than arrive on the number 57 bus.

Massive assumption you've made there. 

all for a museum honouring our history but having one for the 96 deceased and giving the money to charity ....why ?....what you

going to put in it photo's that we have all seen a million times .who'd pay to go into something like that .

Well I think there is plenty of interest in it, without looking I bet there are countless books on it.

The point is that we are being open about the disaster happening here rather than us trying to hide it-I reckon that sort of thing impacts sponsorship quite badly.

That memorial is a joke. We cant dissociate ourselves from the disaster so embracing it is better than ignoring it.

At the risk of repeating myself my understanding is that the design of the memorial was the one asked for by the families. Happy to be proved wrong however

suppose the question is, all romantic notions aside, is the current ground fit for purpose. Could the concourses be improved above what they are now and by the improvements needed? Parking / ground improvements would probably require the purchase of large tracts of land including properties. Nothing much can be done about transport access without the agreement of the Council and most probably Government departments i.e dept. of transport.

Taking all that into account reluctantly I think a move at some time may be needed