New ground v redevelopment ?

It's interesting to see the increase in fans suggesting we might be better off - longer term - moving away from the current site.

A few years ago, this would have been unheard of.

I would say more alarming rather than interesting.

Could be to do with the drawn out legal case plus the fact major structural work hasn't been carried out since the 90s.

Have a few more sell out like Cardiff and some nice upgrades to the North and Kop aswell as a total metamorphosis of the Lepp then I'm confident the dissenters will soon disappear.

Huge area of land been cleared at the bottom of rutland road opposite wickes. Dont know if anythings been earmarked for the land but would be an ideal location for a new stadium. Still in the heart of the city, not far from where our spiritual home is, good transport links, and if we made it to the prem would generate huge interest in the local student population, a lot who live in and around that area and a lot are asian where premiership football is fastly becoming huge and could add to our fanbase

If we were going to move from Hillsborough you would need a site that is at least twice the current land area of Hillsborough to provide adequate space for car parking etc.

From what I can see from Google Maps the site at the bottom of Rutland Road (assume we are talking about Neepsend Lane & Parkwood Road) isn't big enough (not yet anyway). However it could work if there are plans to clear the area immediately to the west of Parkwood Road including the old Gas Tower.

Another possible advantage of this site is that the railway line would run immediately by the side of the ground so there would be scope for putting a railway halt in there for the ground. The major routes in and out of the city are much closer so it could ease transport issues to and from the ground which would be a bonus.

Here's a link to the area on Google:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3956546,-1.4821214,1017m/data=!3m1!1e3

My preference is still to stay at Hillsborough and revamp everything but as an alternative site, this might be a possibility.

If we were going to move from Hillsborough you would need a site that is at least twice the current land area of Hillsborough to provide adequate space for car parking etc.

From what I can see from Google Maps the site at the bottom of Rutland Road (assume we are talking about Neepsend Lane & Parkwood Road) isn't big enough (not yet anyway). However it could work if there are plans to clear the area immediately to the west of Parkwood Road including the old Gas Tower.

Another possible advantage of this site is that the railway line would run immediately by the side of the ground so there would be scope for putting a railway halt in there for the ground. The major routes in and out of the city are much closer so it could ease transport issues to and from the ground which would be a bonus.

My preference is still to stay at Hillsborough and revamp everything but as an alternative site, this might be a possibility.

Yes that is the land im talking about. Not sure if there would be quite enough room to fit a stadium there but it would be a very good location. Anyone who thinks that building a ground where the city airport is would solve all our traffic/parking/accesability problems are gravely mistaken

It's a bit rough around the edges, but you get the gist.

I probably got carried away with the car park a bit  lol

A new stadium would look pretty cool there I think.

post-12794-0-82043500-1462398356_thumb.j

Yep should be much easier for traffic to get away from that.

It's a good site. We need to get rid of the past - ABJECT FAILURE.   DISASTERS.  DEATH.  FLOODS.   

We need to move to a new ground.   New era.  New Stadium.  Something to be proud of - sick of the "theatre of rust" jibes from the Blunts.

Jesus, there are trees growing out of the roof of the North, weeds on East bank, it takes 25 minutes to get a pint of p--s.   The football's right - the stadium is 5HITE .

Let's leave the past behind. It's even turned a weird shade of Man City / Coventry City - SKY BLUE!   F.F.S!   

Edited by maidstoneowl

I don't get this 'stay but build a new stadium on the current site' theory. What so great about the current location?

THIS.   Apart from those that have a got a family member who runs a crap cafe or "about to close down" pub within a mile of the ground, the answer is...

NOTHING.

The current location is DEAD.

It's a good site. We need to get rid of the past - ABJECT FAILURE. DISASTERS. DEATH. FLOODS.

We need to move to a new ground. New era. New Stadium. Something to be proud of - sick of the "theatre of rust" jibes from the Blunts.

Jesus, there are trees growing out of the roof of the North, weeds on East bank, it takes 25 minutes to get a pint of p--s. The football's right - the stadium is 5HITE .

Let's leave the past behind. It's even turned a weird shade of Man City / Coventry City - SKY BLUE! F.F.S!

It's still right next to the same river only the river carries twice as much water because two other rivers have joined it at this point FFS.

Could we use more of the mound the Kop is built on without it collapsing? We could build a bigger concourse where it currently is and have an exit/entrance on the south side

No. It's a pile of chuffing soil!   Were you there when we overloaded it against Chelsea's didi-men in the cup semi-final?   There was bl00dy cement/ chunks of cement dropping out of the brick-work!   I kid you not! 

I don't get why a car park next to the ground is so important. Having a tram line or rail line or bus terminus near or at the ground is the key. Or even a park and ride option - we could buy land somewhere near the M1 have shuttle buses to the ground.

Getting in and out of stadiums without getting blocked in, queuing for ages should be the consideration.

Stoke has a smallish car park and it's a nightmare to get in and out of, can't recall Derby having a massive car park, Emirates doesn't have a massive car park.

It's a bit rough around the edges, but you get the gist.

I probably got carried away with the car park a bit  lol

A new stadium would look pretty cool there I think.

attachicon.gifNew Stadium.jpg

Scrap the idea, the way you have done that it looks like the whole area is flooded already! lol

I don't get why a car park next to the ground is so important. Having a tram line or rail line or bus terminus near or at the ground is the key. Or even a park and ride option - we could buy land somewhere near the M1 have shuttle buses to the ground.

Getting in and out of stadiums without getting blocked in, queuing for ages should be the consideration.

Stoke has a smallish car park and it's a nightmare to get in and out of, can't recall Derby having a massive car park, Emirates doesn't have a massive car park.

One thing I dislike intently about some new grounds is that they are built in the middle of nowhere. Brighton's ground being a prime example having a pint near the ground is a great part of the day.

The more I read this thread the more I belive that the answer is build a brand new ground ( not just a couple of new stands ) in the same location

Perhaps a 50,000 version of old Trafford

Edited by Geedee

Guest _Ibbo_

If we build a new ground.... this is where its going to be imho

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/AMRC/@53.3877952,-1.382495,15.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487977d480f22fbf:0xc7cd5a36405177a2!8m2!3d53.3876076!4d-1.3778256?hl=en

Acres of land around there. Currently undergoing massive redevelopment with the Nuclear AMRC, AMRC etc being based there, lots of new housing. 

a modern stadium similar to pride park etc would fit into the area perfectly. 

Scunthorpe United are having their second new ground built..... FFS. And they are a small side in linconshire. 

The Allianze is a bowl and there is nothing wrong with stadium. Just because people keep spouting the same rubbish about new grounds and bowls being crap does not make it true.

The Allianz Arena cost €340million to build, and that was more than a decade ago. Do you really think we would put the funding in place for something architecturally iconic when there's already the option to renovate what we already have?

Emirates barely has a car park at all and the last thing they want is anybody trying to drive there.

This is one of the reasons I really hate the Madejski. If you don't drive the only option is to get a bus from Reading Station before the game, but if you need to get away quickly after the game you've got no chance. The last time I went was a midweek match and to get my last train home I had to leave with about 15 minutes still to play. We were 6-0 down at the time so I didn't feel too bad about it.

Stadium:MK has similar issues. The two times I've been there I've had to get a train to Bletchley and then walk for 45 minutes along the ring road (which, at the time, didn't even have any signage to the stadium).

Hillsborough's easy to get to: just jump on the tram from the city centre and it takes you right there.

If we build a new ground.... this is where its going to be imho

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/AMRC/@53.3877952,-1.382495,15.25z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487977d480f22fbf:0xc7cd5a36405177a2!8m2!3d53.3876076!4d-1.3778256?hl=en

Acres of land around there. Currently undergoing massive redevelopment with the Nuclear AMRC, AMRC etc being based there, lots of new housing. 

a modern stadium similar to pride park etc would fit into the area perfectly. 

Scunthorpe United are having their second new ground built..... FFS. And they are a small side in linconshire. 

I think you've answered your own question.  Massive development is happening there, There will be NO stadium built there.  They have started building a new town there already. All the land is already earmarked.