It a sign ! - 11 Years Today at Hull 2005 Play Off Qualification

Quinn_zps6wdarufa.jpg

The biggest league crowd the KC Stadium has ever seen were there to watch Hull City's promotion party - but it turned out to be a double celebration as Sheffield Wednesday secured a play-off place with virtually the last kick of the match.

The teams kicked off backed by an electric atmosphere unlike anything previously heard this season.

The Owls were arguably the most fired-up and James Quinn came close in the sixth minute with a looping header that keeper Boaz Myhill had to tip over.

The opening 15 minutes were fast-paced but neither side could carve out any clear-cut chances until the 19th minute when Andrew Talbot broke the deadlock for the Owls.

Jon-Paul McGovern had put an excellent ball in and despite City's attempts to clear off the line Talbot bundled the ball in from just yards out.

City went on the attack straight away with Owls keeper Paul Gallacher saving Kevin Ellison's header following a great cross from Stuart Elliott on the left wing.

Craig Fagan had a shot from the byline saved in the 36th minute but the Tigers were losing their bite and the massive home crowd were beginning to get audibly frustrated.

Just two minutes before half-time Gallacher fumbled in the box and there were a few moments of chaos before the Owls defenders could clear the danger.

Minutes after the restart McGovern was inexplicably left in acres of space and allowed to shoot at goal from 20 yards but Myhill did well to beat the shot away.

The second half then exploded into life when Gallacher produced a superb save to deny substitute Andy Hessenthaler, before Lee Bullen was ruled to have handballed in the area.

Despite protests from the Owls defenders, the league's top scorer Elliott stepped up and placed a low shot past Gallacher into the bottom right-hand corner to notch up his 29th of the season in all competitions.

There was a fantastic reception for Tigers substitute Ben Burgess, who was introduced in the 73rd minute to a standing ovation.

Burgess had been cruelly injured at the climax of City's last promotion and has been sidelined for the best part of a year.

But Wednesday continued to put the pressure on and City had a few dangerous moments near their goalmouth before Steve Adams saw his effort well saved in the 75th minute.

And the Owls dramatically grabbed an injury-time winner when Quinn bundled in from one yard out.

Steve Adams had big injury problems but was outstanding that day...

Sturrock kept reminding us that Adams never missed a game for him at Plymouth, must have been the injury curse that struck a number of players we've brought in over years.

Steve Adams? I was in town and he was driving a car that pulled up and asked me directions to Hillsborough. It was just before he signed.

Spent the next few months wishing I'd directed him to t' Lane.

Remember it well.

Just got quite emotional as my brother just said that he knows today is massive, but it's not sinking in how massive it is.

Reminds me of exactly how I felt in 04/05. It's only now that I look back & realise how bloody massive the Hull game was, especially as Bristol beat us the following week. 

I was playing Golf on beauchief but took a little radio with me to listen to last few minutes, half way down the fairway when that goal went in, I went mental, clubs went in the air, jumped all over my man U fan mate, and a load of other golfers like I was at the game.

I'd given up on that season so how it turned out was unreal, in fact I think I was pretty much losing interest in football till that moment, seem to remember us getting hammered 3-0 by Hartlepool in the weeing rain not long before that? 

That was the second promotion nail biting climax that say me ruin a pair of specs, the first time was at Blackburn 79/80 when they got trampled on. Hull they were badly sprained and when I tried to straighten them they snapped. Had to do a Jack Duckworth for the drive home. Like this season a good few results went for us, I thought we'd blown our chance when Hartlepool turned us over at their place.