THAT Southend match 40 years ago

Correct, was freezin, raining as well. Got my old Babour coat on but we were stood out in the open.

Old railway sleepers were the edge of the steps, back filled with gravel. Weeds had grown were we were cos only Wednesday took that many fans, so your legs were wet through because you were knee deep in the undergrowth.

Bliss............

..I think it was that year we played away at Port Vale..coldest night at a football match I can remember...there were people standing in the toilets at the back cos it was warmer..

I was almost nine and on the Kop it was 40p to get in. Don't remember it raining though.

Remember that fanny Burtenshaw waving from the director's box though.

This forum needs an official fact checker. Burtenshaw was sacked in October that season after our bad start. Why he came back to wave God Only Knows.

Apparently there were 59,632 at the Derby-Man Ure semi.

It's before my time, but when attendance really dived in that era, what was it like to be at a near empty Hillsborough?

It was wind-swept and cold and usually miserable and very frequently sodden wet. But the fans kept each other's spirits up with banter, gallows humour and undefeatable optimisim. It was character forming and I'm glad I enjoyed/endured it!

dark times,  soaked parkas  battery acid filled pies awful, awful football that was a right of passage and meant you could really enjoy and appreciate the early 90s  

and now this season 

It was an endurance test of the highest order

Only the strongest survived.