THAT Southend match 40 years ago

Was on the Kop...It felt just like the Man City game before kick off...Then we were cruising, they got one back late on and it was nerve wracking again...The celebrations were f.ookin' ridiculous, but I think it was relief more than anything...

Some shocking times in the 70's...Losing to Oxford at home on a miserable afternoon with about 8000 in was one of the lowlights...You looked up the Kop and everyone was huddled under the electric scoreboard in the rain...looked like folk waiting to be rescued from a mountain...vast expanse of empty granite..with the scoreboard flashin' absolute b..lx lol

*Frimsby*....*Meet Willie Henderson and the laffs*..I'm sure they used to do it deliberately...I think it was that year we played away at Port Vale..coldest night at a football match I can remember...there were people standing in the toilets at the back cos it was warmer..

Away followings were quite remarkable at times though..no f.ooker expected to win..but off we carted..

Its looked back at with nostalgia now, but don't let anyone tell you different...

We were absolute f.ookin' garbage

Anyone on here go to Orient when the police tried to talk that Owls fan down from the flagpole..It was like a hostage situation...I was f.ookin' helpless...

A copper asked us to be quiet for a minute..then shouted 

"COME DOWN FROM THE FLAGPOLE"...

....every f.ooker doubled up...

Anyone fancy a huddle :-)  The bad old days !

1973Kop_zpsbf3058fd.jpg

me dad and me use to sit on the concrete at the top right steps during most of the season - i thought the crowds were the norm. Couldn't believe the queues for the Southend game. Always found it odd that they were only 26K there looking back.

Anyone fancy a huddle :-)  The bad old days !

1973Kop_zpsbf3058fd.jpg

i remember that game ,was the season we got relegated and was blowing a gale hence the top of the kop being deserted ....that keeper

roy burton was a pain in the arse ,always had a blinder against us .

Was on the Kop...It felt just like the Man City game before kick off...Then we were cruising, they got one back late on and it was nerve wracking again...The celebrations were f.ookin' ridiculous, but I think it was relief more than anything...

Some shocking times in the 70's...Losing to Oxford at home on a miserable afternoon with about 8000 in was one of the lowlights...You looked up the Kop and everyone was huddled under the electric scoreboard in the rain...looked like folk waiting to be rescued from a mountain...vast expanse of empty granite..with the scoreboard flashin' absolute b..lx lol

*Frimsby*....*Meet Willie Henderson and the laffs*..I'm sure they used to do it deliberately...I think it was that year we played away at Port Vale..coldest night at a football match I can remember...there were people standing in the toilets at the back cos it was warmer..

Away followings were quite remarkable at otimes though..no f.ooker expected to win..but off we carted..

Its looked back at with nostalgia now, but don't let anyone tell you different...

We were absolute f.ookin' garbage

Yeah 30 Odd games without an away win 2 coaches to Cardiff & a star special saying " why do they bother" being there makes me feel good until I see the

Part timers tomorrow

Didn't miss a match that season. Saw some right garbage.

Middle of the cop. Very nervous. We just couldn't get our heads around the idea of division 4.

Started tense. relaxed, then tense again. The final whistle was such a relief. 

Invaded the pitch, nicked some turf which may still be growing in a garden in Darnall.

As i recall the team came out in the directors box for an ovation. It was like we'd won the cup.

Terrible times. Let's hope we never see them again.