THAT Southend match 40 years ago

If you young uns think this is anxiety and tension you should have been at Hillsborough 40 years ago tonight - we needed a point to avoid relegation from the 3rd division and the shame that would have brought.

Nearly 26,000 packed in Hillsborough on a Thursday night as Eric Potts and our Hero Prendo scored the goals that kept us up and prompted celebrations lik we;d won the FA Cup final. Most of them ended up on this pitch afterwards.

Any memories of that night?

Also remembering one of my first Wednesday heroes - the great Mick Prendergast who died 6 years ago today - on the same day he saved the Wednesday 34 years earlier - when Michael Prendergast scores a goal.......

southend_zps4fb58eb0.jpg

mickp22_zps2f30b2b3.jpg

southend-1_zpsde868e5e.jpg

#HeartofaLion.

micpr_zpseb59c27e.jpg

Guest mkowl

Sat in the West Stand for this one - as my Dad's uncle was giving us a lift

He normally left 2 minutes early but I think we stopped to the end for this one

I was only 8 but i was aware of the significance

Brilliant night.   Extremely nerve racking until the second goal went in and we realised we were almost certainly staying up.  Great celebrations which continued in the Crazy Daisy club until the early hours. Didn't feel that good at work the following day, but well worth it!!  

Stood at the wall at the front of the Kop with my mum and dad seemed a good idea until the final whistle !

Was a fan for life from that day seeing those scenes -  not much in life beats those moments as a fan and all the crap matches in between become a distant memory

Was it the last game of the season or did we do it with games to spare.

Strange to have the last game on a Tuesday night.

Delayed due to FA cup semi final between Man U and Derby (I think) at Hillsborough on the original date of the Wednesday Southend match, which ended up being played after the normal end of the season which would not be allowed now.

Delayed due to FA cup semi final between Man U and Derby (I think) at Hillsborough on the original date of the Wednesday Southend match, which ended up being played after the normal end of the season which would not be allowed now.

Possibly......but Southend were also behind with their fixtures. They'd played on the Saturday (when we'd drawn at Brighton and Peter Ward got that last minute equaliser), the Tuesday when I'm sure they won at Wrexham or somewhere to keep their chances alive and so they had to play us on the Thursday. But you're right....that wouldn't happen now. 

Edited by fredmciverslovechild

Guest spowowl

went for a celebratory pint in the gate at wadsley bridge next to the travellers with my mates, prendo walked in just after ten I told him well done and congratulations for keeping us up, happy days 7000 attendances no roof on kop pissed wet through

Was on the South...still am.

Would put that in one of my top ten Wednesday games as there was so much riding on it. Top of the list though would be the Sheffield derby at Wembley...winner plays in FA Cup final.

Is the Championship final play off bigger?...winner gets to play in Prem.

Don't think I was as nervous as this week.

All I'd known following Wednesday was relegation or near relegation. I'd become a bit immune to it all.

When we scored the relief was tangible, and after the second it was a bit of a celebration. Even them scoring in second have didn't cause any concern.

Great atmosphere though. Night matches back then, even with small crowds, were always a bit special. Can't work out what has changed to make them less popular now.