What more do people want?

I think 21k when prices start at 36 quid on the kop is brilliant. What more do people want? I know what I want, silly threads like this to be banned. We won , we are doing great. Stop blithering on about attendances

Yeh, let's stop discussing anything and shut down Owlstalk, brilliant...

Walk ups are an integral part when you have 20,000 empty seats. £40+ per game has killed the walk ups.Heard a rumour from inside the club that they are starting to realise this and working to address it. Unfortunately it won't be a quick fix, and there is still some disagreement on the subject.

Somebody not the Chairman got the policy wrong and are reluctant to back down apparently.

Completely agree, but DC will be making/taking more money from these crowds at these prices, than what we were last season. Sure someone smart could work it out, but the income from yesterday was probably the equivalent to 27,000 at last seasons prices. The prices should be higher to match the product, but we've got the balance wrong.

Away attendances bring down our figures. Brentford only brought a few. Compare that to say Everton rocking up in town, they would fill both the top and bottom of leppings Lane adding another 5k to the attendance = our averages when in the PL all those years ago

Edited by modboy

Was saying at the game yesterday, we have very little outside of the hardcore.

We have about 19,000 hardcore fans and very little loyalty from anyone else. I know prices are an issue, but offers make no difference so it can't just be that.

I bet if we get in the playoff final and it was £50 a ticket people would suddenly find the money.

For whatever reason, our fans have not bought in to the project like other clubs have. Look at how much Derby and 'Boro crowds have gone up in recent seasons and their prices and economic backgrounds are similar.

I bet if we get in the playoff final and it was £50 a ticket people would suddenly find the money.

For whatever reason, our fans have not bought in to the project like other clubs have. Look at how much Derby and 'Boro crowds have gone up in recent seasons and their prices and economic backgrounds are similar.

You could say that about any team in any final, all of a sudden teams find an extra 10-20,000 "loyal" supporters.

The difference with Derby and Boro are they are one team cities.   Take into account the pigs attendance every other week of "20,000+" ( WTF: ) and Presto....we have 40,000 every home game.

I think prices play a part...but I also think it takes a lot longer than 1 season to blow away the last 15 years of dross.

A lot of fans still expect us to drop into midtable mediocrity again soon and probably see our current form as a blip.

The hype around the current team and the club as a whole is steadily rising but it won't happen overnight.

Borough and Derby have been pushing for promotion and spending big for years.

I think if we do make the play-off and even get to Wembley. It will be a big wake up call for all those slumbering Wednesday fans and they will be more inclined to attend next season.

Success brings fans more than anything else. But our relative success this year is still very much "under the radar".

Edited by trev

I think prices play a part...but I also think it takes a lot longer than 1 season to blow away the last 15 years of dross.

A lot of fans still expect us to drop into midtable mediocrity again soon and probably see our current form as a blip.

The hype around the current team and the club as a whole is steadily rising but it won't happen overnight.

I think if we do make the play-off and even get to Wembley. It will be a big wake up call for all those slumbering Wednesday fans and they will be more inclined to attend next season.

Success brings fans more than anything else. But our relative success this year is still very much "under the radar".

Great post Trev. The prices have just dramatically slowed the process down.

It may take 2 or 3 seasons to bring people back.

Real shame though, as the atmosphere is bordering on embarrassing.

Many years ago the main two clubs in this area were us and the blunts. The likes of Donny, Rotherham, Chessy, were really 4th/3rd Division fodder and playing in really very poor grounds. Barnsley 3rd/2nd Division. The difference between them all and the Sheffield Clubs was emmense. We used to get alot of people travelling to Hillsboro to see a good game. Recently all those clubs have had a revival - promotions beyond their wildest dreams and new stadiums whilst we have stood still for 15 years. I'm sure some youngsters couldn't see the point of travelling to Hillsboro when their local club was doing as well as us and I'm sure we lost some support. But things are changing . We're on the up and they're all begining to return to their usual Division. Maybe they'll start to come back when the gap gets even bigger.

There was an audible "disappointed murmur" from the crowd in the stadium when it was put up on the scoreboard.

Atmosphere was alright on the Kop until about the 70th minute but that was more because it was like watching a training session. Job was done

What should the club do - well for next season I have made a suggestion in another thread that seems to be deemed ok. For this well the QPR game is a decent price but I suspect the usual complaint will be it's a Tuesday night against mundane opposition. But seriously for the stay at home group if you really want the Club to understand there is a huge number of fans who are priced out then you really need to be there. Not saying that in an aggressive way more a suggestive way. Show the Club the demand is there but more importantly there is a good chance you might see a decent game and some cracking players on show.

I can understand the annoyance at the top category prices but don't cut your nose off to spite your face for a better priced game. Don't worry about who the opposition are you are there to watch one of the best Wednesday sides in 20 years

It's obviously the prices. Not sure how many different ways it can be said.

I was in Sheffield anyway this weekend and would have gone with my dad and brought my wife along too if it had been reasonably priced. There is no way my dad would even consider paying more than £30 even if I thought it was reasonable. So I would be wasting valuable visiting time going on my own.

As has already been suggested, you'll have a hard time persuading any non-football fans/non SWFC fans to come along with you at those prices either, so you can't grow the fanbase beyond the existing fans.

The 'quality of football', the opposition, the results, the amount of money Chansiri has invested in achieving the massive returns associated with promotion - these things are all pretty irrelevant in terms of affecting attendences. It's all about price.

I bet the pricing policies for both Boro and Derby are much more aligned with their fan base. I don't believe there's any mystery to this debate at all. Wednesday tickets are the most expensive (or around the most expensive) in the Championship. Traditionally we are used to our tickets being considerably cheaper than our big local rivals such as Leeds. Lastly Hillsborough is in a working class area with a predominantly working class fan base (which I love by the way) - we aren't the Kings Rd/prawn sandwich brigade so it's time the club got realistic about ticket prices. For me the tickets were about £10 too expensive yesterday.

I agree 100% with other posters who state that the ticket policy needs simplifying. All this bull about loads of categories and membership discounts (will I attend enough games to justify a membership fee?) is a big turn off. Keep it simple and don't price out your fan base and let's see if the club can build up support in the promotion push. Everything else that's happened in the last year has been brilliant by the way!

I really don't buy the prices arguement

£43:00 on the South Stand yesterday + travel. To watch second Division football against Brentford.

Are you having a laugh?

Why do people even keep asking this question - week after week? Are they all living in a parallel universe?

Forty Three Pounds!

What more do people want?  They've been saying all season they want more competitively priced pay on the day tickets.  Just because people can't accept or don't understand that doesn't mean it isn't the reason.

For example, a few times this year I have considered turning up at the last minute.  A search for the matchday prices has put paid to that idea. 

Instead I've got a season ticket for next year that works out at under £20 game.  More than happy with that.  But I still won't be going to any this season at £30 or above.

There was a buzz about the place yesterday that I haven't seen or felt for a long time

Build it and they will come

It really is happening

Where was this buzz you speak off? It was that quiet, the only buzz I could hear was the blokes phone two rows in front of me. It was like a Tuesday night atmosphere.

As for the OP, it looked like there was a couple of thousand more home fans than usual. The poor away following didn't do the official figure any good.

£43:00 on the South Stand yesterday + travel. To watch second Division football against Brentford.

Are you having a laugh?

Why do people even keep asking this question - week after week? Are they all living in a parallel universe?

Forty Three Pounds!

I accept part of your argument but will contend 2 points.

The Championship is the 2nd tier of English football but the standard of play is on a par with most top leagues around Europe. We see players that in a different era would have been in the top league. Look at the roll of names, big city clubs. The derision of 2nd division football is totally misplaced

Secondly who cares who the opposition are for a league game. Personally I am there to see Wednesday play and fantastic Wednesday players