What more do people want?

Top of the recent form table, fifth spot and five points clear of seventh place, playing some really good stuff, scored more than anyone else in the division and so many "class" goals, a serious promotion push, winning easily yesterday without really breaking sweat and stil......less than 21k attendance and the place like a morgue.

I really don't buy the prices arguement, we've had offers etc. and they have made little difference....so why then are there still so many "stay aways"? There are plenty of 'em on here, why aren't you making an effort occasionally? and why is the place so damned quiet?

As I said in the title, What more do people want?

The stayaways have decided that it's too expensive, so they are stubbornly staying away even when there's offers on

It's up to us true fans to help drive the club on, whilst the moaners sit at home and pretend to be alienated, or go shopping with the wife

I think it really is the price, you know.

None of my usual group could make the game yesterday, so I asked a few non-Wednesday-supporting mates who are into football if they fancied coming to the game with me. I had four people who were up for coming to the game...until they realised it would cost them £43 to do so. I ended up going on my own.

For a lot of fans, the damage was done at the start of the season regarding ticket prices, with up to £46 charged to watch the Bristol City game and the accompanying media coverage: there are many who don't check social media or the club website for updates, so the message the club sent them was that prices would be high, and they chose not to pay. The best opportunity the club had to change this perception was Boxing Day, as it's a traditionally well-supported game which attracts a large walk-up. However, tickets were £43 in the South Stand, thus confirming for many stay-away fans that they made the right choice.

The cheaper ticket offers have only been available for mid-week matches, which are always less well attended. There has not been a single Saturday game where the cheapest pay-on-the-day ticket cost less than £30. In fact, the average cost of such a ticket for a Saturday kickoff so far this season is £40 in the South and £33.60 in the Kop.

I'm afraid the club have backed themselves into a corner with the phase 2 and phase 3 season ticket prices: they have to represent value to those who bought them, so the pay-on-the-day prices can only drop so far (phase 3 season tickets work out at £33 per game in the South and £25.65 per game in the Kop), but they may still have a bit of leeway to offer cheaper tickets for a Saturday kickoff. If they then advertise the prices all over the place in the month before the game, that may make a difference.

I'm happy to continue paying the pay-on-the-day prices (less a membership discount) for the ten to twelve home games I can attend each season, but many clearly aren't.

I hate the way that modern football has become a business, but if clubs want to go down that route, then blaming your potential 'customers' for not buying your 'product' is backwards. The onus is on the clubs to offer fans something they want at prices they are willing to pay. Hopefully the prices for next season do this for more people, as there's nothing better than a packed Hillsborough.

None of my usual group could make the game yesterday, so I asked a few non-Wednesday-supporting mates who are into football if they fancied coming to the game with me. I had four people who were up for coming to the game...until they realised it would cost them £43 to do so. I ended up going on my own.

For a lot of fans, the damage was done at the start of the season regarding ticket prices, with up to £46 charged to watch the Bristol City game and the accompanying media coverage: there are many who don't check social media or the club website for updates, so the message the club sent them was that prices would be high, and they chose not to pay. The best opportunity the club had to change this perception was Boxing Day, as it's a traditionally well-supported game which attracts a large walk-up. However, tickets were £43 in the South Stand, thus confirming for many stay-away fans that they made the right choice.

The cheaper ticket offers have only been available for mid-week matches, which are always less well attended. There has not been a single Saturday game where the cheapest pay-on-the-day ticket cost less than £30. In fact, the average cost of such a ticket for a Saturday kickoff so far this season is £40 in the South and £33.60 in the Kop.

I'm afraid the club have backed themselves into a corner with the phase 2 and phase 3 season ticket prices: they have to represent value to those who bought them, so the pay-on-the-day prices can only drop so far (phase 3 season tickets work out at £33 per game in the South and £25.65 per game in the Kop), but they may still have a bit of leeway to offer cheaper tickets for a Saturday kickoff. If they then advertise the prices all over the place in the month before the game, that may make a difference.

I'm happy to continue paying the pay-on-the-day prices (less a membership discount) for the ten to twelve home games I can attend each season, but many clearly aren't.

I hate the way that modern football has become a business, but if clubs want to go down that route, then blaming your potential 'customers' for not buying your 'product' is backwards. The onus is on the clubs to offer fans something they want at prices they are willing to pay. Hopefully the prices for next season do this for more people, as there's nothing better than a packed Hillsborough.

Very good post and I agree with it all. However I do think when it gets to the end of the season, and if we're still in the hunt, some people will find the extra cash to come down. It's the fickle nature of football fans but one I don't mind.

The steering group need to do more steering. The voice of the fans need to shout louder. Three issues that are creating a negative atmosphere during a season that is nothing short of tremendous on the pitch need addressing now.

1)Price. Yesterday should have been a twenty quid game. But as explained above, we're stuck because phase 3 season ticket holders would be in danger of losing out.

2)Atmosphere. Horrendous again yesterday for 70 mins. The place should be rocking. Pricing the young lads off Parsons Cross etc out of it and exchanging them for 50 somethings from Dore, or worse still, non Wednesdayites is killing the 'noise'. North stand end block was barely half full.

3)ten thousand leaving before 90 mins. Me included. And was still stuck in a car park at 5:30pm.

Lots of tram disruption yesterday too

Really? Not that I noticed.

As for the crowds, it's just down to money. To walk up and pay on the gate yesterday in the South was £43. Not interested in the back story of membership, deals and cheaper tickets if you buy 7 pints of milk on a Thursday and a Wham Bar. The perception, and indeed reality of high ticket prices has lost us thousands, both buying before the match, and walk ups.

And it's a crying shame. This team and the football on offer at present is excellent, and we should be touching 30,000 every week.

Excellent post and I think you've summed it up perfectly. Football is supposed to be a working mans game, but the club is pricing out many fans. As great as this season has been, I can understand why many fans are finding it hard to justify paying so much to watch our club. It's a tough one for the owner because he obviously needs the extra income to cover the higher wages, but on the flip side cheaper tickets and a fuller ground would probably help the team. Ultimately it's all about promotion now, so maybe the club needs a rethink to get more fans to games?

Walk ups are an integral part when you have 20,000 empty seats. £40+ per game has killed the walk ups.Heard a rumour from inside the club that they are starting to realise this and working to address it. Unfortunately it won't be a quick fix, and there is still some disagreement on the subject.

Somebody not the Chairman got the policy wrong and are reluctant to back down apparently.

Edited by Mr Farrell

Walk ups are an integral part when you have 20,000 empty seats. £40+ per game has killed the walk ups.Heard a rumour from inside the club that they are starting to realise this and working to address it. Unfortunately it won't be a quick fix, and there is still some disagreement on the subject.

Somebody not the Chairman got the policy wrong and are reluctant to back down apparently.

It really is that simple. The hardcore fan base will go as they have season tickets. The casual fan who might wake up on a Saturday morning and decide to go won't pay £36 + . I fail to see how so many can't grasp this