Do our fans understand modern football?

Is the OP taking the piiiiss? I've been watching Wednesday for over 50 years. I played football all my youth and for a bit longer than I should have done after that. I, seriously, do not understand the first f*cking thing about tactics except "you mark him and when we are going forward stay our side of their defence until the ball's in front of you".

Of course we don't have a clue about football tactics. We just want the ball stuck in the opposite's onion bag. End of,

You still know nowt with all that experience?

As none of my usual group could make it, I went to the game on my own today. As a result, I found I was more tuned in to the comments going on around me, and some of the stuff I overheard had me wincing at its inanity.

A few of the highlights include:

• "Get him off the pitch, Carlos - he's bloody useless!" - describing Forestieri about 25 minutes in.
  • "Come on Wednesday - I've paid good money for this!" - whilst winning 3-0.
  • "They've only got ten men - we should be at least five up!"
  • "If we play like this against a decent team, we'll get hammered!"

Some people want to express their feelings! Some people  support Wednesday and haven't had their snouts in football tactics manual!

Shock! Horror! Well, they might be annoying but it's up to you whether or not you get on with your life. Come on. You're better than this, aren't you?

You still know nowt with all that experience?

Absolutely knack-all

Some people want to express their feelings! Some people  support Wednesday and haven't had their snouts in football tactics manual!

Shock! Horror! Well, they might be annoying but it's up to you whether or not you get on with your life. Come on. You're better than this, aren't you?

Eh?

I never said they were annoying. If anything, it added to the entertainment of the match to have the running commentary of daft comments to giggle at.

I think you may have misinterpreted my post.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Should we expect the average fan to understand though?

The average fan doesn't know anything about football, fact, you only have to read most comments on here.

After all the rubbish we have seen at Wednesday over the last couple decades how can anyone complain?

This Wednesday side is the most technically gifted team I have had the pleasure of watching since Waddle, Sheridan etc.

Our fanbase does need educating.

1) didn't hear any complaining in my section but it is an area of all ST holders so you'd expect us to have more of a clue.

2) Why the grief towards those that left early? The game was dead and buried at half term. Why stag off people who leave on 88 minutes to beat traffic when the game is already won.

But of course, it's the great Owlstalk conspiracy. It is fine to never go and support your team, but not acceptable to attend 40+ games a season but to leave a minute or two early.

I'm serious. Football formations  are, in my mind a load of ballacks thought up to keep pundits employed. Not quite true. I know there's a science involved but it's completely beyond me and I've played at right back and in a midfield "playmaker" position (which I do understand) without being able to translate the sheeite they talk on MOD into the real world. I knew what I had to do. I knew when ithers were screwing up and why and how they should be doing better but all this technobabble just is a mystery to me so I abuse anybody who seems to know about it. It's my way!! :laugh:

1) didn't hear any complaining in my section but it is an area of all ST holders so you'd expect us to have more of a clue.

2) Why the grief towards those that left early? The game was dead and buried at half term. Why stag off people who leave on 88 minutes to beat traffic when the game is already won.

But of course, it's the great Owlstalk conspiracy. It is fine to never go and support your team, but not acceptable to attend 40+ games a season but to leave a minute or two early.

Excellent post. What a b0110cks thread this is! All the positivity at the moment and a thread like this appears slagging off our own.

Great OP

The amount of moaning I hear at matches is beyond ridiculous, for me it's just shows how impatient some owls have become and adds to the detriment of the atmosphere at home games

The best season we've had for a decade, some fans need to get a grip

The atmosphere was great around me today.

Agree with the OP.

At 2-0 I hear the same old crap from behind me about us passing it around and not getting it forward quick enough.

This passing it around resulted in the third goal.

And I wasn't expecting us to have a Liverpool style protest on 87 minutes. I missed that memo.

I have absolutely nothing to whinge about tonight, thanks for that Wednesday.   At times again we did mess about with it at the back and in too packed a midfield though which on another day might have cost us something, whether that be clean sheet or more.   It didn't, so as I say - nothing to complain about.   I would hope Carlos as the professional he is will bring things out of today that he believes he can improve on.