Nuhiu

With Pieterson it's bit different again. That's more like Berahino - a bit of a wee pipe that's disrupting the team off the field (according to reports)

Nuhiu you keep in the team because despite the lack of goals - he lets the rest of team play.

To use a cycling term - he's a domestique. He's Geraint Thomas to Hooper and Forestieri [Froome]

22 league games without a goal....

To be fair, 22 league games without a goal is Nigel Worthington level.

lol

I see the good old mods have been at it again.....daveyboy must be happy that you've removed his post and my reply where he's made himself look a fool.

Christ on a bike, have a day off

The contribution arguement is an interesting one......if the England cricket team were continually winning games by 5 runs and the number 3 batsman was getting between 6 and 9 every game plus being a decent fielder, would he continue to be picked on the grounds that "without his runs we'd have lost" or would you replace him with a player who could score significantly more runs......would you wait until the lack of runs cost the game or anticipate that one day it would and replace him before it did

Sorry to sound condescending but do you follow cricket? The answer to your above question is "yes", you would keep picking that player. Number Three batsman very often have to support their batting partners - they may have to dig in after an opening partnership collapse or they maybe have to act as a foil to an opening batsman or a Number Four or Number Five that are piling on the runs.

I think you ask a great question which makes a good analogy for Nuhiu's role in the team because Number Three batsmen don't necessarily score a great number of runs but are often the platform for an effective performance from the team in the same way that Nuhiu doesn't score a great number of goals but is the platform for an effective performance.

Edited by shandypants

Taking the cricket analogy on board, Boycott has often said that the art of good captaincy is doing what the opposition least want you to do.

I strongly believe that most if not all of our opponents would prefer it if Nuhiu was left out. It would make their lives easier.

The contribution arguement is an interesting one......if the England cricket team were continually winning games by 5 runs and the number 3 batsman was getting between 6 and 9 every game plus being a decent fielder, would he continue to be picked on the grounds that "without his runs we'd have lost" or would you replace him with a player who could score significantly more runs......would you wait until the lack of runs cost the game or anticipate that one day it would and replace him before it did

Are you saying that Nuhiu is NOT helping Hooper and FF score their goals and should get no credit if he doesn't score a goal himself?

Cricket is very different, batting is not a team aspect, so cannot be compared to football.

Hooper seems to love playing with the "Big Man".

If something's not broken, it doesn't need fixing.

I think it's the definition of "broken" that is the issue here. If I may be so bold to offer my opinion about you, me and the others in this discussion? You, me and the other OwlsTalkers that believe in Nuhiu appear to look at the team as a whole, consider it not to be broken and see Nuhiu as part of that whole whereas, quite legitimately, those OwlsTalkers that doubt Nuhiu's contribution appear to look more at the individuals within the team and believe that each players has a role with a known set of key responsibilities that they must deliver - to them, the team is broken with Nuhiu in it because said player isn't delivering upon what they believe is his key responsibility; namely scoring.

It's all down to perspective. What is broken is this constant discussion (argument) about Nuhiu. It's more trouble than it's worth because there's no right or wrong answer. Everyone is correct in some way on either side of the argument.

Edited by shandypants

I strongly believe that most if not all of our opponents would prefer it if Nuhiu was left out. It would make their lives easier.

Clearly true.

Think back to Rowetts comment last week about struggling to contain Nuhiu, Hooper and Forestieri.

The way we are playing at the minute works. Nuhiu creates time and space for players around him. Joao comes off the bench to stretch a game.

Anyone who thinks a different theory is better will always think that until it's practically disproved. I.e. CC plays a different way and we lose.

Which isn't going to happen. Because (to come full circle) having Nuhiu on the pitch is effective.

To my mind, although they respectively play/played a different position on the pitch, Nuhiu plays a team role comparative to what Carlton Palmer played in the 90's.

Palmer's presence and effort allowed Sheridan and Waddle to exert their creativity and flair in the knowledge that Palmer would hustle and bustle.

Nuhiu allows FF, Hooper and Wallace to find space to do their stuff. Nuhiu and Hooper is an effective partnership up front, both FF and Hooper scoring yesterday when Nuhiu was playing.

In terms of ability and what he offers the team, he's by far the easiest to replace. Plenty of players out there we could pick up for cheap to do his job, and also offer goals. Probably a different story in terms of camaraderie and team spirit as he's clearly a big part of that.

At the end of the day, we're 5th in the league. We can win games and play well with Nuhiu, and we can win games and play well without him. I'm not complaining.

In terms of ability and what he offers the team, he's by far the easiest to replace. Plenty of players out there we could pick up for cheap to do his job, and also offer goals. Probably a different story in terms of camaraderie and team spirit as he's clearly a big part of that.

At the end of the day, we're 5th in the league. We can win games and play well with Nuhiu, and we can win games and play well without him. I'm not complaining.

Who would you replace him with?

Put it this way, one of their players literally jumped on his back and had his arms around him like a piggy back, lasted at least 3 seconds. Not a single foul was given. Sums up how the refs treat him.

does he need to learn to go 'down' a lil' easier...

not for throwin' himself on the floor, but if someone's in contact for a serious amount of time, give the ref a lil' help makin' his decision... 

Poor bugger can't buy a foul..it got beyond ridiculous today sometimes.............

And it wasn't even the worst set of decisions he didn't get today either.

I do think Sasso was giving their big lump up top the same treatment yesterday though, maybe it's not just Nuhiu who gets nothing because of his size?

Edited by salmonbones