bronco layne , how good was he ?

Guest eggsarnie

Guest eggsarnie

My dad raves about him still, now he was way before my time but from pics and bits I've read he seems similar in style to hirst .

Would like to know how they compare from those who saw them both.

Bronco was a powerful, goal-hungry 'centre forward' and really exciting to watch. I watched him as a kid and marvelled. He owned a cafe called 'The Squirrel' and sometimes, if you were lucky, he'd serve you with a cuppa. Peter Swan was one of the most elegant defenders I've ever seen and always played with his shorts up his arse! The 'betting scandal' meant their reputations suffered, although compared to modern corruption in the sport. ( FIFA, bungs etc) their misdemeanours were relatively minor.

He was the gary Hooper of his time. Scored 29 league goals 1962-3 if I remember right. Looked a bit slow and lazy at times but was lethal within sight if goal. A bit like hooper. Shame bronco threw it away. Had he and swan played in the 1966 final, we might just have won. We will never know. I'm just happy we've got a few modern heroes to talk about. Been a long wait.

As you can see from my username he was my boyhood hero. Big strong with a vey good eye for goal. I remember him scoring both our goals when we last won away at Arsenal in 1963. So sad for the club when he and swan my were lost, for what they did today they might get a fine and a couple of months suspension. To be banned for life was redicules. The big mystery was how other " big names" who were supposed to be exposed never were. A big cover up seemed to happen.

Ah... Bronco, my childhood hero. Big, strong, very powerful lad who took no prisoners. Sent off for one of the sweetest left hooks ever seen on a football pitch...two footed, bullet shot and a terrific header of the ball...remember him scoring against Wolves with a diving header from outside of the box. Best true old fashioned CF we've had in my time in my humble opinion. As someone earlier said, probably not quite as quick as DH in his prime, but absolutely deadly. Would surely have gone on to represent England had he not been such a silly bugger.

Edited by lesbarbeux

He was the gary Hooper of his time. Scored 29 league goals 1962-3 if I remember right. Looked a bit slow and lazy at times but was lethal within sight if goal. A bit like hooper. Shame bronco threw it away. Had he and swan played in the 1966 final, we might just have won. We will never know. I'm just happy we've got a few modern heroes to talk about. Been a long wait.

Wednesday had just finished 2nd to the double winning spurs and under Catterick had a side capable of emulating the likes of Arsenal Liverpool and Man Utd. Unfortunately the betting scandal tore the heart out of that side and we were never the same. Layne was the best centre forward we had since Dooley, but for all-round pace, skill and a lethal finish I think Hirsty gets my vote.Hooper looks handy though and his link up play is superb. I have supported the Owls since 1958 and some of you might remember me working in the North stand bar before the disaster in 88. It's good to be an owl again watching quality attacking football.Could we really be on our way back?

As you can see from my username he was my boyhood hero. Big strong with a vey good eye for goal. I remember him scoring both our goals when we last won away at Arsenal in 1963. So sad for the club when he and swan my were lost, for what they did today they might get a fine and a couple of months suspension. To be banned for life was redicules. The big mystery was how other " big names" who were supposed to be exposed never were. A big cover up seemed to happen.

Bronco was big and strong, good with his feet and his head. There's no doubt he would have gone on to great things and so would we.

I can remember, clear as day, delivering my Sunday paper round and seeing the People the day they were exposed. I also definitely remember a headline saying ' even bigger names ' next week. In the event those bigger names didn't materialise and the story was allowed to petre out. All I can say is that,according to rumours at the time, our World Cup winning team in 66 might have been different.

The punishment those three guys received was a disgrace. They were made scapegoats and hung out to dry as a warning to others

Not as fast as Hirst, not as tricky as Hirst, Every bit as tough but with that more reckless, a touch better in the air but Hirst every time would have loved to see  them play together.  

Swan and Layne came back together Swan was in fine fettle and saw out the season going on to end his League career at Bury but Layne had too much weight to shift, don't think he got a game (could be wrong) but saw him in one or two Central League games and he scored a couple of crackers !

Remembering as a boyhood hero too. A sad thing is the Arsenal match you mention is the last time we've won away against them in any competition

Bronco was big and strong, good with his feet and his head. There's no doubt he would have gone on to great things and so would we.

I can remember, clear as day, delivering my Sunday paper round and seeing the People the day they were exposed. I also definitely remember a headline saying ' even bigger names ' next week. In the event those bigger names didn't materialise and the story was allowed to petre out. All I can say is that,according to rumours at the time, our World Cup winning team in 66 might have been different.

The punishment those three guys received was a disgrace. They were made scapegoats and hung out to dry as a warning to others

If I recall correctly The People announced that the next weeks edition would give details of how the players of one First Division team had a collection to compensate their opponents for letting them win......................

....................the following week there was absolutely nothing, and the F.A. and the Football League did absolutely nothing.

A total disgrace.